Royle Bros. Austerity's.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Red and Cream

Royle Bros. Austerity's.

Post by Red and Cream »

I suppose it seems a bit unusual for this subject to resurface here again but i received an email from an enthusiast who had seen a facebook post with a couple of Ken Magor's photos of Royle Bros. austerity buses and he wondered why on one of the buses the route numbers had been painted in an unusual place. After i explained to him what i knew of the route number being where it was i thought i would post this homage to Royle Bros. with as many of their austerities as i could find in my photos of the period.

This is the Ken Magor photo of the Royle Bros. austerity m/o 858 with the odd placing of the route number. Normally the route number would be displayed beside or above the destination where it originally was on this bus but because of rain water entering the interior of the bus through the route number box that 858 had above the desto the box was removed and the roof waterproofed so the route number was then painted on the bus bodywork just above the left hand headlight. There was one other bus in the Royle fleet that i know of that received the same painted route number in the same location for the same reason and that was m/o 567 their Star Bros. bodied White. Now at the time this seemed to be a good fix for the problem it solved but unfortunately within a very short space of time the licencing authorities became aware of the change in display of the route number and due to a rule the the sign had to be displayed at a certain height so that a passenger could see it on approaching a stop, it was ordered the route number be relocated to wehere it originally was. So it is rare to see a photo of it in this position as it was only there for a very short period of time.
AUSTERITY ROYLE.jpg

m/o 858 is shown here i think at Roseville Stn. and is operating Royle's route 201 to East Roseville on which it was a regular performer. The body work on 858 had been "modernized" with rounded roofline contour and modified desto layout.

B12B-ROYLE-858 D.jpg
This is my photo of m/o 858 when it still had its route number box .It is seen at East Roseville about to depart for Roseville Station on 9th March 1959.

B42E-ROYLE-858-383 B.jpg
Here m/o 858 with MBA White m/o 383 is at Royle's Smith Street Willoughby depot on 16/5/59. Royles old workshop is still at this site only slightly modified.

B42F-ROYLE-210 E.jpg
Another of their austerity's was m/o 210 and is seen in their Smith St. depot side yard with on the left m/o 590 a Com Eng Ford Fleetline m/o 383 the White m/o 858 the Ford Austerity and just nosing out from behind 210 is the last normal control bus owned by Royle m/o 881 a White.

B77-ROYLE-210 B.jpg
Here is a better photo i took of m/o 210 at Chatswood on 25/10/59. m/o 210 is not operating a regular route sevice here but this is on a Sunday and is standing outside a church in Victoria Avenue after operating a special regular pickup of passengers around the streets of Willoughby just for this church.

B5- Royle bros-354 B.jpg
m/o 354 was the final Austerity owned at the time by Royle and is seen here in Edinburgh Road Willoughby on 2/11/58, again on that special Sunday service and in this photo the bus has moved slightly onto the wrong side of the road as the Ford's had a poor steering lock and it was jusy about to turn left into Fourth Avenue., nowhere near any normal Royle service route. You may notice in the photo the driver is definately dressed for church going wearing a suitcoat and shirt with a collar and tie.

CHATSB84-R0YLE-567.jpg
This was the other Royle bus with the short lived route number placement m/o 567 a Star Bros. bodied White in Victoria Avenue Chatswood on 3/11/59.

Forest 567 ROYLE.jpg
Forest 567 ROYLE.jpg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
I am not sure whose photo this is but i appreciate its use. This is m/o 567 before it lost its route number box and had the route number relocated. It is looking a bit unhappy here after a runaway accident.

AUB337-SALLIES-X ROYLE2.jpg
After service with Royle m/o 354 saw more years service with the Willoughby Salvation Army seen here in Victoria Avenue Willoughby not very far from its old depot in Smith St.

I hope this post may be of interest.
LB608

Re: Royle Bros. Austerity's.

Post by LB608 »

Great history as usual
Thanks Dave
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

Red and Cream. I was pleased to see these old photos of buses operating in Sydney, many of which I had not seen before. I would be glad to see photos of more buses of this era posted in this forum.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

hugh45 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:11 pm Red and Cream. I was pleased to see these old photos of buses operating in Sydney, many of which I had not seen before. I would be glad to see photos of more buses of this era posted in this forum.
LB608 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:12 am Great history as usual
Thanks Dave
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Hope to post a few more photos soon.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

That would be great
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

I’ve never really got the whole austerity body thing.

I know they were built during the Second World War and all looked as attractive as a shot bush pig.

Were they all built by the same bodybuilder, or did bus companies simply build the bodies themselves, borrowing the ‘styling’ from existing ones.

Discuss.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

During the war, most motor vehicle production in UK and USA was limited to military needs. Civilian requirements were subject to "essential" services, and subject to government rationing.

When the DGT wanted more buses, all that was available were Ford and White truck chassis. With an expected short life span, and limited scope for repurposing after the war, the bodies were designed as cheaply as possible. The DGT allocation was bodied by Properts; I doubt any private operators got many chassis during this time.

The White chassis were probably more suitable, but much more expensive. Any operators that did get them would have had "permanent" bodies built. I can remember a LHD White still in use in Qld in the late 1960s.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The bus museum preserved one. A bus designed not to last. You would think photos would suffice.
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

The Austerity buses would be classified as formal control. Most buses of this era would be classified as either normal control, half cabs or double deckers. I am interested in other formal control buses of this era with other bus operators in the Sydney regionl
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

“normal control” is where the driver is behind the engine and front axle.
Presumably you mean “Forward control” where the driver is beside or in front of the engine.
“Half cab” is a body design for forward control whereby access to the engine is outside the vehicle.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Shows how tight the privates could be that they'd run used austerity buses that were designed as a temporary measure to keep services running during war time, but these companies chose to continue their use when real buses could be had.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”