Why are Volgren Futurebus/Optimus stop signals so loud?

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
worf

Why are Volgren Futurebus/Optimus stop signals so loud?

Post by worf »

Sorry if this has been asked or discussed here before, I tried a simple forum search and couldn't find anything.

Just wondering why these were made to be so loud. They hurt my ears when I sit near the front. Do drivers ever complain about these?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Why are Volgren Futurebus/Optimus stop signals so loud?

Post by Merc1107 »

It was changed in Perth to the "bell" sound on Optimus buses allegedly due to passenger complaints - nevermind it had been driving drivers up the wall for years prior. At least there's no excuse for saying "the bell hasn't rung" with such a loud buzzer, but at the end of the day, what was wrong with a physical bell!? Nothing.
worf

Post by worf »

one Optimus I was on once didn't have any bell, and the driver only knew from the dashboard making a chime. was a hugely better ride. I assume it was broken in some way.

physical bells I guess come with a tiny bit of extra maintenance (dead bells sound HORRIBLE) but they sound so much better for both passengers and drivers. love how Perth made the "bell" sound play instead, that's actually cool.
Merc1107 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:10 pm At least there's no excuse for saying "the bell hasn't rung" with such a loud buzzer
yeah, I guess. is it really worth making drivers (and passengers near the front) uncomfortable for that though? I've still had this happen even with the ear piercing buzzer, and you can always yell out "hey mate you missed my stop" (to be fair some people are too scared to yell out though)

I also have the feeling it could scare tourists, or people who know nothing about buses, who press it and think they've triggered some sort of alarm, but I really have no idea on that part.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

The MP3 Bell is a Brisbane Transport thing.

What about the ACTION "Siren"?
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”