West Connex Interchange Abject Failure.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

West Connex Interchange Abject Failure.

Post by Swift »

This disgrace has been in the news all week showcasing the inherent lack of accountability of our state government and yet more pathetic planning and design that went into this and not a soul has mentioned it here
It's almost as if no one around here wants to bring up yet another dismal failure of a project.
Shouldn't be a surprise with the amount of denial from people here about the bloated cost and poor execution of the light rail.
tonyp

Re: West Connex Interchange Abject Failure.

Post by tonyp »

No it's not a failure. It hasn't yet been finished to its final design, with the Western Harbour Tunnel still to be completed. This will take the traffic that's presently trying to get to the North Shore via Pyrmont and the Harbour Bridge. In general, the intersection is part of a road system that's intended to bypass the city, not feed into the city. So naturally traffic into the city isn't given highest priority in the design. My biggest worry is that, in the political panic, some compromise will be made to the bus lanes and cycle/pedestrian network in order to fit in more traffic lanes.

It's a shame that the Western Harbour Tunnel and the West Metro aren't there yet, because they'd address a lot of the issue.

How are bus drivers and users finding the Victoria Rd buses since this circus began? Are the bus lanes still able to do their job effectively, or are there blowouts in journey time?
swtt

Post by swtt »

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bus ... 5eor1.html

Route 500X under consideration to be rerouted into the Iron Cove Link.

I guess 504X should also be given such consideration, especially when there's no stop between Drummoyne and the City.
Swift

Post by Swift »

eddy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:04 am
There are too many cars in my opinion and it would be better if people used bikes instead on Trailerbuses ha ha.
I thoroughly agree there. The infrastructure is needed but such a disappointing result upon it's opening and a very arrogant reaction from the minister and various officials apart from Howard Collins who is only working with what he's given.
This debacle has exposed some of the horrible behaviour from our motorists in general and presents an opportunity to get some of them off the road.
I don't doubt it will work itself out over time with the completion of the missing pieces, but three lanes going into two on such important arteries? Are memories that short?
eddy

Post by eddy »

It is easy to blame the previous government for teething troubles but I doubt the Libs will get credit for the rail line under the harbour.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Ray

Post by Ray »

Why would a bus forum be discussing a road project not currently used by buses? At least not until today's SMH article.
Go Cats.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ray wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:28 pm Why would a bus forum be discussing a road project not currently used by buses? At least not until today's SMH article.
I didn't start the topic, but I'm interested in how it is affecting bus services along the corridor. The idea of diverting the 500X through the tunnel sounds a great idea in principle, as long as the tunnel isn't choked up with traffic.

In the long term, completion of the West Harbour Tunnel should remove the traffic that presently has to access the Harbour Bridge via the Glebe Island Bridge and Pyrmont. Hopefully that would give buses a much clearer run and open the way to extending bus lanes further towards the city.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Ray wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:28 pm Why would a bus forum be discussing a road project not currently used by buses? At least not until today's SMH article.
Although Sydney is not as bad as Melbourne most people who live in Sydney would like less cars and more affordable bikes which can easily be taken on a Trailerbus so as not to be a pain to trucks on the main roads.

So to answer your question I am guilty as far as suggesting the Trailerbus.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not Guilty but I think you have absolutely no hope.
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Ray wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:28 pmWhy would a bus forum be discussing a road project not currently used by buses? At least not until today's SMH article.
ATDB = Australian Transport Discussion Forum. That does imply that any transport-related topic is welcome...
Swift

Post by Swift »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:35 pm
Ray wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:28 pmWhy would a bus forum be discussing a road project not currently used by buses? At least not until today's SMH article.
ATDB = Australian Transport Discussion Forum. That does imply that any transport-related topic is welcome...
Exactly and buses use roads.
booma
Favourite Vehicle: 3886 & 3883

Post by booma »

What's the deal with the 2nd bus lane on Victoria Rd?
My views expressed in here are my own and do not reflect those of anyone or anything else.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

To prevent buses being hindered by traffic making left turns, and even other buses picking up passengers, in the kerb lanes.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Fleet Lists wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:28 pm Not Guilty but I think you have absolutely no hope.
Perhaps it may not happen in my lifetime or in Australia but as with nearly 30,000 views maybe a country that is not too proud to try it will give it a try.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Which sections of Victoria Road have dual bus lanes or a bus lane second lane out from the kerb?
swtt

Post by swtt »

tonyp wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:45 pm Which sections of Victoria Road have dual bus lanes or a bus lane second lane out from the kerb?
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projec ... gh-rozelle
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Thank you. So how do buses access bus stops between Terry and Robert. Simply pull over to the kerbside lane if existing traffic in that lane allows them to?
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

Despite searching the www, I can’t find any clear information on the merging of lanes between Viccy Rd and the new tunnel on the outbound.

Prior to the opening, I’m pretty sure that Victoria Rd outbound comprised a bus lane and two general traffic lanes, with two outbound lanes from the tunnel exiting onto it at the Iron Cove Bridge.

If so, how (pray tell) do four general traffic lanes somehow merge happily into two, particularly in the arvo peak?
eddy

Post by eddy »

stajourneyman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:35 am Despite searching the www, I can’t find any clear information on the merging of lanes between Viccy Rd and the new tunnel on the outbound.

Prior to the opening, I’m pretty sure that Victoria Rd outbound comprised a bus lane and two general traffic lanes, with two outbound lanes from the tunnel exiting onto it at the Iron Cove Bridge.

If so, how (pray tell) do four general traffic lanes somehow merge happily into two, particularly in the arvo peak?
If you have bikes on buses instead of cars it is easy.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Not exactly the question that was asked, was it?
eddy

Post by eddy »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:55 am Not exactly the question that was asked, was it?
Well if there is less cars I think it would be easy.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

stajourneyman holds gun to own head and pulls trigger. 🙄🙄🙄
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

stajourneyman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:35 am Prior to the opening, I’m pretty sure that Victoria Rd outbound comprised a bus lane and two general traffic lanes, with two outbound lanes from the tunnel exiting onto it at the Iron Cove Bridge.

Haven't driven it myself yet, but according to diagrams the two Victoria Rd lanes merge together, then that combined lane merges into the left tunnel lane. :clown_face:

The outbound bus lane on the bridge itself is apparently AM only, so that can be used during e.g. afternoon peak.
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

So as not to get too involved with the cost/benefit ratio argument, I can say that if you are travelling down the M4 and use the new route via the "spaghetti junction", you save at least 20-30 minutes travelling time in peak, compared to the clusterfuck of the city-west link, or Victoria Road. (Does anyone still attempt Parramatta Road these days?)

OK, I acknowledge that not everyone wants to pay the extra $11, but pretty much, it's a godsend (assuming you can pass the toll onto a client?)

I can sympathise with those who are affected by it, but seriously, like the M4-M8 link tunnel under Newtown, with all the arguments about it, it seriously does make sense. Whether or not it makes sense, is if you have crawled your way via Newtown over the years to get somewhere?

Assuming you love giving tolls to multi-national organisations to do so?

As noted above, can't quite understand why anyone who has read the news in the last 3 years, doesn't understand that the tunnel on Victoria Road is free. It is mind blowing to say the least!!!

Anyone want to do the quick fix, and do peak hour lanes on Anzac bridge, or just wait until the harbour tunnel eventuates, and accept that there is only the King St and Bathurst St exits to get into the city?

As others have noted, in the future when the 2nd harbour tunnel eventuates, there may be slightly less congestion when you hit Anzac bridge...

It is what it is?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A lot of the traffic headed to Anzac Bridge is heading for the Harbour Bridge. When the Western Harbour Tunnel is open, all of that should be diverted.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”