V SET SCRAPPING

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
HunterLine5

V SET SCRAPPING

Post by HunterLine5 »

Hi all, just throwing it out there as to who may get the contract to scrap the V carriages, such as SELL and PARKER?……or head straight out to be ripped to shreds at chullora, from what I saw with the scrapping of the S SETS and the way they were just ripped apart, seemed like an enormous waste of good stainless steel to me.

For my money, I’d like to see them go to a dedicated contractor who could extract as much recycled and valuable material as possible, carriage shells, grab bars, aircons, wheel sets and so on .

Thoughts ?……
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Re: V SET SCRAPPING

Post by Aurora »

It would depend on who offers the most money to do the scrapping. They then reuse/resell as much as they can to recoup their money and generate a profit.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I'd most likely suspect the way previous government transportation assets have been scrapped that they'll likely either go to Sims or Sell & Parker.

I can't possibly imagine K sets have much time left in them either to be honest, once they go is there really anything that can be realistically interchanged from the two types of older sets (K & V) to Newer Rolling stock?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The S sets would have been ripped apart by a scrap dealer for recycling. It's easier to do it at Chullora or somewhere where they are still on the tracks, rather than add the expense of moving them elsewhere by road.

Ultimately, any recoverable components won't be compatible with the current fleet; maybe a few parts kept if a set makes it into the Heritage fleet.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:31 am I can't possibly imagine K sets have much time left in them either to be honest, once they go is there really anything that can be realistically interchanged from the two types of older sets (K & V) to Newer Rolling stock?
No. The NIF (Mariyung) will replace the V sets and Oscars, with the latter being cascaded down to replace the K sets for suburban working. Not sure about the specific numbers of K sets to be replaced or the number of Oscars in service, but if the number of Oscar sets is greater, then that could potentially increase the size of the suburban fleet to provide more services following the digital signalling and ATO upgrades..
boronia

Post by boronia »

approximate comparisons:
K set cars: 160 built
H set cars: 221 built
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

boronia wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:13 pm approximate comparisons:
K set cars: 160 built
H set cars: 221 built
Thanks for that.
Linto63

Re: V Set Scrapping

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: Ultimately, any recoverable components won't be compatible with the current fleet; maybe a few parts kept if a set makes it into the Heritage fleet.
While Sydney Trains may not have a need, markets may exist for certain components, either other rail operators or in other industries.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

The Rail Museum and THNSW might be able to make quite the buck selling parts much like the bus museum does. Given the cult like status of the V sets among the rail community, it would be relatively easy.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:58 pm
boronia wrote: Ultimately, any recoverable components won't be compatible with the current fleet; maybe a few parts kept if a set makes it into the Heritage fleet.
While Sydney Trains may not have a need, markets may exist for certain components, either other rail operators or in other industries.
If there are confirmed identified buyers, parts could be removed before scrapping.

But I can't see Sydney trains or TAHE stockpiling parts on the off chance that someone might want one or two in the future.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Randomness wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:02 pm The Rail Museum and THNSW might be able to make quite the buck selling parts much like the bus museum does. Given the cult like status of the V sets among the rail community, it would be relatively easy.
Maybe a couple of seats for my lounge room?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

The rail museum should have acquired one of the original V set cars and restored it back to it's original 1970 spec
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: I can't see Sydney trains or TAHE stockpiling parts on the off chance that someone might want one or two in the future.
TAHE isn't going to become a parts dealer. Any parts of value will be removed by the scrapper who will most likely have a dealer lined up to take them. The value of said parts will be reflected in how much TAHE either receives or has to pay to have the carriages scrapped.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:31 pm The rail museum should have acquired one of the original V set cars and restored it back to it's original 1970 spec
Shame SETS or HETS didn't get one?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:35 pm Maybe a couple of seats for my lounge room?
Purple or green?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Glen wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:45 pm
boronia wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:35 pm Maybe a couple of seats for my lounge room?
Purple or green?
The original K series seats were the nicest.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Re: V Set Scraapping

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: Shame SETS or HETS didn't get one?
Given that they were scrapped due to rust, probably not a bad thing. There will be plenty of better examples available.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There were considerable differences in the first series built, which could make good comparisons. Rust problems can be overcome in serious heritage restoration; how much money has gone into other "basket cases".
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Many of the interior differences disappeared after they were rebuilt. Heritage organisations are a bit more practical these days when selecting which items to preserve placing emphasis on overall condition rather than sentiment.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Linto63 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:56 am Heritage organisations are a bit more practical these days when selecting which items to preserve placing emphasis on overall condition rather than sentiment.
Agreed. I'm involved in a different heritage organisation but if I were in a position to accept a V or K set, I'd want the one with the best reliability record...
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Other factors assessed include life left in components. Because the D sets are going to enter service over a shorter period of time than originally planned with most have already been delivered, but with V set overhauls still being performed, some will be withdrawn with quite a bit of life left in those components
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

What's actually happening with the V Set overhauls? What changes are being made?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

No changes, just worn out parts overhauled or replaced. Noticeable are bogies with retyred wheels and repainted fibreglass ends and doors.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”