Mercedes OH1418 Gearbox

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Mercoh1418

Mercedes OH1418 Gearbox

Post by Mercoh1418 »

Hi all, I'm new to the Bus Australia site, and new to owning an old Mercedes Bus.
I have a 1993 Mercedes OH1418 converted to a motorhome.
It hasn't had the love its needed at some point and the gearbox has suffered as a result. When I bought it the box was really stiff to change gears, I drained and refilled the box and heaps of metal filings came out, I then added fresh oil. It now changes ok but (it's a 5 speed) 4th gear sounds terrible and vibrates through the vehicle. Seems like it was the most tortured gear so I've added PTFE treatment, twice. Each time it has made changes easier and reduced the harshness of 4th gear but I still feel it has a limited lifespan.
Is there and suggestions of where we should turn to for a changeover gearbox - ideally a 6 speed if it bolts straight in to reduce highway engine speed.
Many thanks, Nick.
I did look through the threads but couldn't find any recent similar questions
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: Mercedes OH1418 Gearbox

Post by Guy_Arab »

IF YOU CONTACT ME I CAN HELP AS I HAVE ALL MANUALS FOR YOUR BUS
GUY ARAB
Mercoh1418

Post by Mercoh1418 »

Ok, I've tried to message you and its not allowing it as I haven't posted enough on the site.
Can you message me contact details?
Ta.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Ok, I've tried to message you and its not allowing it as I haven't posted enough on the site.
I have enabled messages for you and you should not have to wait for approval for future posts.
Living in the Shire.
Mercoh1418

Post by Mercoh1418 »

Thank you Fleet Lists

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”