Pets on public transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Pets on public transport

Post by boxythingy »

Can you imagine that dog that won't stop barking? Could you also tolerate any increase of excrement material?

https://youtu.be/jTXxAaImkyk
booma
Favourite Vehicle: 3886 & 3883

Re: Pets on public transport

Post by booma »

or "What happens when a dog bites a toddler"???
My views expressed in here are my own and do not reflect those of anyone or anything else.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

I personally really don't want to deal with pets on public transport. Then again, i don't own a pet and I can imagine what my pet owning family would say to this proposal would be very different to what i have to say about it
grog

Post by grog »

Some people don’t have cars, or need to buy a car specifically because they have a pet. It works in many overseas places, I don’t see why it can’t work here.

There would definitely be challenges, but if we want people to be able to get around the city/state without a car, they need to be able to get pets to places like vet appointments without using expensive options like a taxi.

Maybe dogs over a certain size need a muzzle or similar?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

What about people with allergies?

The current trend is away from making life unpleasant for these people - less areas to smoke in, talk of banning gas appliances, phase out of ICE vehicles.

What about soiled buses/trains/trams/ferries? It's hard enough in some circumstances keeping the bus clean with (supposedly) house-trained humans onboard, nevermind their neglected, delinquent pets.

Finally, the issue of pets vs service animals. If someone's service animal is attacked by a feisty little so and so, that's a serious impediment to their mobility and independence. People already get bent out of shape about leashes and muzzles in parks, imagine a bus driver having to enforce these rules as well, and the vitriol from people who think their pet is somehow exempt from the rules.

Absolutely no pets on public transport. Full stop.
grog

Post by grog »

I’ve lived in other cities where pets are allowed on public transport and these are generally not major issues.

Public transport vehicles are well ventilated, and pets aren’t so common that someone can’t move away from one. You can have rules around muzzles or similar on larger dogs.

There are always risks, but it sounds like you consider public transport as a nice to have for some journeys rather than catering to all kinds of destinations and purposes over the whole day and week. Public transport shouldn’t be considered a commuter service.

People should be able to live their daily lives just dependent on public transport. Lack of pets on public transport forces people to buy a car, and when you own a car you are more likely to drive it.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

grog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:44 pm You can have rules around muzzles or similar on larger dogs.
Who enforces this?
grog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:44 pm There are always risks, but it sounds like you consider public transport as a nice to have for some journeys rather than catering to all kinds of destinations and purposes over the whole day and week. Public transport shouldn’t be considered a commuter service.
No, I consider it a service for all, but there are limits to what is acceptable. Having pets comes with responsibilities and inconveniences, the rest of society shouldn't have to put up with it.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

grog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:27 am Some people don’t have cars, or need to buy a car specifically because they have a pet. It works in many overseas places, I don’t see why it can’t work here.

There would definitely be challenges, but if we want people to be able to get around the city/state without a car, they need to be able to get pets to places like vet appointments without using expensive options like a taxi.

Maybe dogs over a certain size need a muzzle or similar?
I think it would be quite acceptable to bring pets that can fit in a reasonable sized box or cage, anything larger should not be acceptable as no one would be allowed to bring on board a pony sized dog onto a plane for example
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

boxythingy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 pm no one would be allowed to bring on board a pony sized dog onto a plane for example
Someone has taken a miniature horse aboard a plane in the US. First class too. US airlines are only legally required to recognise dogs as service animals and have various grounds for refusing carriage to them.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I seem to remember that years ago, pets (i.e. dogs) on ferries were allowed on leash (i.e. not in a "box, basket or other container") as long as they stayed in the outdoor areas. So there has been some harmonisation of the rules in that regard.

Interesting that pets in containers are allowed on buses and light rail but not trains or metro. Maybe it has to do with the length of the ride? I would think that in terms of impacts to other passengers (i.e. allergies etc), trains and metro would be less impact, because affected passengers can more easily move to another carriage, which is not possible on a bus and and more difficult on light rail.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I did the same run for 3 years I had a young blind girl with a guide dog nice dog she used to sit opp me & chat my only beef was 3 out of 6 days her dog use to use my bus as a toilet I USE TO have a bottle of disenfectant in my locker & would hose the bus out at the quay the return driver also did the same reg shift.NOTHING ever happened When the boss asked me about it I told him he just said to me the DOG KNOWS WHAT YOUR DRIVINGS LIKE & leaves you a message! the poor girl was realy embarressed for what happened!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I have had on my bus animals in baskets parrotts in cages going to vets the cage has sat in the luggage space no problems had 2or 3 dogs all separated no problems but what do you do with passengers with BAD N.O that want to stand right be hind you simple move away or bus doesn't move due to a health problem announced to the full bus would prefer the animals plus the oldies going to the vet pay $2.50 not a large amount for a UBER we are providing a service! simple.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”