Rail Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Rail Observations 2023

Post by tonyp »

Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:13 pm I think SMH allows 5 "free" views per week for general news articles. I've not had any negative responses to previous links I have posted here regularly.
5 per month, I think.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

tonyp wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:45 pm
Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:20 pm Unfortunately this article is for subscribers only.
Yes, exactly. Not everybody can afford to subscribe to all news outlets and, in light of that, I've always copied and pasted the content of any news item I post, which is allowed under copyright law as long as it's acknowledged and not used for commercial purposes. I follow Jo Haylen's social media and I found it quite amusing that, instead of publishing her own media release about her review of Sydney Trains, she simply posted a link to the SMH article that boronia referenced above, obviously assuming in her little inner west bubble (not the working class obviously) that everybody must read the Herald. She will get far in politics if she places all her announcements behind paywalls.

So, in short, I'm none the wiser about this review!
I very much doubt she runs 100%, or really any amount of her own social media. So much more likely it's her social media team limiting their career progression, not her limiting her own.

Of course not all Aussie politicians have people screening and publishing things for them, as we've unfortunately seen this week.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I noticed that the Bathurst bullet 15:05 departure was running from platform 1 today, despite all other Mountains services curtailed at Penrith, with first stop tabled as St Mary's (next stop Katoomba). I assume it also picks up at Paramatta, Penrith, Springwood as normal but interesting that St Mary's was listed. Anyone know details of why this train can get through while others not?

Note - diesels are the only departures from Sydney Terminal this afternoon. CCN trains are starting at Strathfield and South Coast from platform 25. Moss Vale direct services and XPL/CPT are also running.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

This Weekend, April 1 & 2, there is a four (4) Track Possession between Granville and St Marys, with the Power Off.

One of these Tracks, either the Up or the Down West Main / Main, will have a number of Windows, or various times, when that particular track will be open to allow Freight, the Dubbo XPT, and the Bathurst Bullet, to traverse the Section under Pilot Staff Working.
The Bathurst Bullet will usually run under these conditions to/from Sydney, and when the Main Lines between Illawarra Junction and Homebush are open.

Also, there is a Possession between Wells Street and Illawarra Junction (Main Lines) which limits the number of Services entering/exiting Sydney Yard. As a consequence, CCN Services commence/finish Strathfield.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Thanks Scott, that's helpful! I suppose extra timetabled stop at St. Mary's must have to do with the Pilot Staff Working. I notice that Tripview showed the stop as "skipped" - perhaps that was their way of indicating the stop was not for passengers to board or alight.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

jpp42 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:08 pm Note - diesels are the only departures from Sydney Terminal this afternoon. CCN trains are starting at Strathfield and South Coast from platform 25. Moss Vale direct services and XPL/CPT are also running.
Don't all SCO weekend services start from Bondi Junction anyway?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

boronia wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:45 am
jpp42 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:08 pm Note - diesels are the only departures from Sydney Terminal this afternoon. CCN trains are starting at Strathfield and South Coast from platform 25. Moss Vale direct services and XPL/CPT are also running.
There is one service on weekends from Sydney Terminal at 0519 to Kiama, and one arriving in from Port Kembla to Sydney Terminal at 0119 according to the PDF timetable.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

jpp42 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:40 am Thanks Scott, that's helpful! I suppose extra timetabled stop at St. Mary's must have to do with the Pilot Staff Working. I notice that Tripview showed the stop as "skipped" - perhaps that was their way of indicating the stop was not for passengers to board or alight.
When a Train is to traverse a Pilot Staff Section, the Driver is given 10 minutes to read the paperwork to ascertain:-
1/ where the Trackgangs are located in the Section and other track conditions.
2/ whether the Train is to run on Signals, when running in the right running direction.
3/ when the Last Train traversed the Section.
4/ receive the Staff or Token for the Section.

After traversing the Section, the Driver is given 5 minutes to surrender the Staff or Token and complete the paperwork as evidence the trip is complete.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

boronia wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:45 am
Yes, most do, but it's also not uncommon for them to go to Sydney Terminal during trackwork (esp. if Eastern Suburbs Line is closed), so I was just emphasising that there were no electric intercity services at Sydney Terminal at all.
Stu

Post by Stu »

The contractor named Transport for Tomorrow has a contract to deliver work for the More Trains, More Services 2 South project for TfNSW. In the list of construction work and locations is 'Kingsgrove Turnout Removal'. Is this a typo or did TfT remove the Kingsgrove Turnout in another project?

https://www.supplychainschool.org.au/mtms-south/
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Turnouts part of the original ending of the line duplication before/after Beverly Hills are no longer used. I am not sure if they are still there as the planned removal dates have changed a few times.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Why would they want to remove the extra track at Kingsgrove when that provides the opportunity for trains to turn around rather than waiting for the first opportunity at Revesby, East Hills or even Ingleburn?
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

The turnback is not impacted.
M 5885.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Stu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:03 am The contractor named Transport for Tomorrow has a contract to deliver work for the More Trains, More Services 2 South project for TfNSW. In the list of construction work and locations is 'Kingsgrove Turnout Removal'. Is this a typo or did TfT remove the Kingsgrove Turnout in another project?

https://www.supplychainschool.org.au/mtms-south/
Aurora wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 am Turnouts part of the original ending of the line duplication before/after Beverly Hills are no longer used. I am not sure if they are still there as the planned removal dates have changed a few times.
The Crossovers that were located between Kingsgrove and Beverley Hills, Down Main to Down Local, and Up Local to Up Main, were removed last year 2022 on the Weekend of August 27 and 28.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Waratah A47 is currently running around as a Waratah 2 on tripview.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Apps show planned consist types for trains, they do not update for live changes.
M 5885.
Stonesourscotty

it's been doing it for a few days so i was wondering if its a glitch.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:33 pm Waratah A47 is currently running around as a Waratah 2 on tripview.
Stonesourscotty wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:05 am it's been doing it for a few days so i was wondering if its a glitch.
No difference in terms of operational use, both A and B Sets are the same Waratah with few little differences, but in operational use both are same, Same prep and stable time allowances. It could be running all day however it will have no impact on crewing or passengers. Waratahs get swapped out depending on their allocations, failures or presentation all time in yards or maintenance centres as well side by side set swaps at stations when time permitted.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

A bit out of the loop, but since when did Oscars have digital LCD displays? Image
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Only since recently (March maybe?). Presumably in prep for Suburban service.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

There is a program in place to replace the original dot screens. The claim is that they are out of date.
M 5885.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Aurora wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:04 pm There is a program in place to replace the original dot screens. The claim is that they are out of date.
Both the OSCAR and millennium sets need a PID screen update as both trains would have outdated PID displays
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Qantas94Heavy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:26 pm A bit out of the loop, but since when did Oscars have digital LCD displays? Image
Very recent. Most of them don't have it yet
Stonesourscotty

Tannoy on A67 just said can the vandals on the train please stop as your being reported to police. Also A45 is a 7 car usable set on T7 tonight carriage 6 is out of use due to I think faulty doors.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”