Rail Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Kiyrri

Re: Rail Observations 2023

Post by Kiyrri »

alleve wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:29 pm
Qantas94Heavy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:26 pm A bit out of the loop, but since when did Oscars have digital LCD displays? Image
Very recent. Most of them don't have it yet
There is only one 8-car OSCar fitted out with them. Will get back to you later with the set numbers. The LCD screens on those sets have been installed for quite a while (but rarely function correctly). Along with these apparently these sets have been fitted with the Waratah DWD... not sure why 🤷‍♂️
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

8 Car Oscar (H23 + another) has mechanical issues at Central currently leaving Central town hall bound 15 late. On a Short to Hornsby.

Train also has just missed Wollstonecraft St Leonards Artarmon which are announced stops on the tannoy but nothing said prior to missed stop
moa999

Post by moa999 »

At least the Oscars seemingly can be upgraded, unlike the disaster of the Tangara Technology Upgrade.

So much for made in Australia being better.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

moa999 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:59 pm At least the Oscars seemingly can be upgraded, unlike the disaster of the Tangara Technology Upgrade.

So much for made in Australia being better.
Uhh.. the Oscars WERE made in Australia.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Kiyrri

Post by Kiyrri »

Supposedly the OSCar upgrades are meant to prepare them for suburban service. Makes no sense though why they were only rolled out on one set. Will OSCars' eventually undergo overhauls like the G Sets; with the toilets and potentially luggage racks removed, or will they remain with the intercity modifications for on the occasion that a suburban H Set is required to run an intercity service?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

They can probably only upgrade one set at a time, this happens to be the first one sighted.

Perhaps the M sets will get this system eventually?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Kiyrri wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:41 am Supposedly the OSCar upgrades are meant to prepare them for suburban service. Makes no sense though why they were only rolled out on one set. Will OSCars' eventually undergo overhauls like the G Sets; with the toilets and potentially luggage racks removed, or will they remain with the intercity modifications for on the occasion that a suburban H Set is required to run an intercity service?
Most likely toilet removed but luggage racks stay the same. They probably will be phased out until all NIF are delivered and running successfully, there isn’t any plans for Oscar to remain on intercity runs as NIFs will be the only Electric Intercity trains.
Kiyrri

Post by Kiyrri »

boronia wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:54 am They can probably only upgrade one set at a time, this happens to be the first one sighted.

I highly doubt it; the M sets are already slowly falling, and if it is the NIFs are planned to be the only electric train running on intercity runs, this should free up more than enough OSCars to cover at least a few Millennium runs if needed. With the retirement of K sets, the millenniums may very well become like the K set is today; only running during peaks on weekdays, or used for relief runs only.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Kiyrri wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:31 am
boronia wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:54 am They can probably only upgrade one set at a time, this happens to be the first one sighted.

I highly doubt it; the M sets are already slowly falling, and if it is the NIFs are planned to be the only electric train running on intercity runs, this should free up more than enough OSCars to cover at least a few Millennium runs if needed. With the retirement of K sets, the millenniums may very well become like the K set is today; only running during peaks on weekdays, or used for relief runs only.
With Bankstown Line closing too soon when Metro takes over, that will free up some sets for potentially more refurbishment if there was any plans. And even if there wasn't, there would probably be some excess rollingstock, potentially building up Y Linkers and Oly Park to full time 8 Car Sets
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

BAMBAM wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am
Kiyrri wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:31 am
With Bankstown Line closing too soon when Metro takes over, that will free up some sets for potentially more refurbishment if there was any plans. And even if there wasn't, there would probably be some excess rollingstock, potentially building up Y Linkers and Oly Park to full time 8 Car Sets
Mildly curious whether any of those H sets would cascade to Illawarra line suburban working or whether they're doomed (per se) to be stuck with T sets until whatever is set to replace them does, especially since that technology upgrade seems to have stalled.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

pgt wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 pm
BAMBAM wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am

Mildly curious whether any of those H sets would cascade to Illawarra line suburban working or whether they're doomed (per se) to be stuck with T sets until whatever is set to replace them does, especially since that technology upgrade seems to have stalled.
The T4 will stay being run by only one type of train. There aren't enough H Sets to run the whole thing, so I'll put my money on nothing changing until the Tangaras are retired
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

alleve wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:50 pm
pgt wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 pm Mildly curious whether any of those H sets would cascade to Illawarra line suburban working or whether they're doomed (per se) to be stuck with T sets until whatever is set to replace them does, especially since that technology upgrade seems to have stalled.
The T4 will stay being run by only one type of train. There aren't enough H Sets to run the whole thing, so I'll put my money on nothing changing until the Tangaras are retired
H sets will most likely be doing the duties that the M sets currently do which are a handful of 8 car T2 and T8 city circle services and number of 4 car sets for the Cumberland line and the Lidcombe-Olympic Park loop as the M sets would be most likely taking over from the the duties that are currently done by K sets
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:49 am
alleve wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:50 pm

H sets will most likely be doing the duties that the M sets currently do which are a handful of 8 car T2 and T8 city circle services and number of 4 car sets for the Cumberland line and the Lidcombe-Olympic Park loop as the M sets would be most likely taking over from the the duties that are currently done by K sets
That’s one way to look at it but it will mean more training for Sector 2 crew (Auburn, Central, Campbelltown, Leppington and Flemington) are not Oscar Qualified.

Right now, Only Sector 1 and Sector 3 (Blacktown and Hornsby) Crew are qualified for Oscars, Once Oscars end their Intercity Duties, all Oscars can replace Tangara roster on Sector 3 and Any spare sets would replace Waratah Runs, where it replace all K set rosters. Mills can be left alone and training can be done with a smaller amount of crew. All K sets roster don’t divide and amalgamate except for maintenance, so Waratah sets can be like for like replacement. M sets do have jobs within crew diagram to divide or amalgamate.

Again, we all love to speculate, but one thing first is that NIFs need to be modified and there isn’t one that’s modified yet to current running operations.
Ray

Post by Ray »

What about South Coast - will they shift the Tangaras off the shuttles there?
Go Cats.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Ray wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:06 am What about South Coast - will they shift the Tangaras off the shuttles there?
I’ve always wondered that they may be taken off earlier, as with the Tangara trains going to be semi-permanent coupled trains once ATP is finished being installed and in normal mode, it can’t operate as a 4 Car set as one end is installed in ATP and the other end isn’t, meaning one end can’t be run ATP and that’s not what they want?

Not sure about Oscar rolling stock and whether there are spare sets for south coast line to replace the Tangara.
Kiyrri

Post by Kiyrri »

BAMBAM wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:28 am
Ray wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:06 am What about South Coast - will they shift the Tangaras off the shuttles there?
I’ve always wondered that they may be taken off earlier, as with the Tangara trains going to be semi-permanent coupled trains once ATP is finished being installed and in normal mode, it can’t operate as a 4 Car set as one end is installed in ATP and the other end isn’t, meaning one end can’t be run ATP and that’s not what they want?

Not sure about Oscar rolling stock and whether there are spare sets for south coast line to replace the Tangara.
Pretty sure I read that once the ATP was rolled out in the cabs they will be permanently coupled. Even these days it is rare to see a 4 car in service, let alone moving yards at all...
As mentioned above, the Tangaras will likely stay running on the T4 until a more permanent, full replacement is brought in. Liberals had plans to scrap the Tangaras pretty soon, although with all the ATP and (failed) TTU work being done on them I don't see a point of upgrading, then only keeping in service for 2 or 3 years. It should be safe to say we will keep seeing the Tangaras around for quite a while after the ATP upgrades are complete; whether they continue to be the sole operator of the T4, or if OSCars will be brought in is unknown at this stage.
alleve

Post by alleve »

BAMBAM wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:28 am

There are more D Sets than there are V and H Sets,so it's possible 4 car D Sets will run it
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

The extra Ds will cater for growth planned for future timetables once the Vs are retired and Hs a ready for transfer to metropolitan running.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The reasons Sydney’s rail network is set to worsen in the future

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/the ... 5d9cc.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

Blimy?

The data available demonstrates that the reliability and resilience of Sydney Trains’ operations has been fragile since the introduction of the new 2017 timetable.

8 March – Outage of the digital train radio communications system (DTRS)
Sydney rail services were suspended following loss of radio communications between train controllers and signallers with train crew. The incident was declared a Crisis Incident. Due to suspension of services, and significant delays once services were resumed, customers were severely impacted with many customers stranded and major crowding at stations.

10 – 11 March – overhead wire down at Revesby
Three bays of overhead electric wiring collapsed on top of a passenger train, leading to declaration of a Level 2 Critical Incident. After about two hours, approximately 500 passengers were safely de-trained. Reduced network capacity due to planned weekend track closures and reported signalling irregularities at Erskineville exacerbated the effects of the incident. Disruption spread across the network and lasted into the following day.

25 March – loss of signalling at Homebush
Multiple signal and points failures, resulting from a signal panel power failure, caused services to be halted and tracks closed. Whilst replacement bus services were introduced, bus capacity was insufficient, leaving many customers without alternative travel options. Police were called to assist with crowd management at Lidcombe and Central stations.

Areas more within Sydney Trains and TfNSW control included:

iii) 2017 Timetable – TfNSW led the development of the new 2017 timetable. The 2017 timetable was designed to achieve maximum utilisation of the network with expected increasing patronage. However, the tight nature of the timetable created difficulties in maintaining services, restricted access to undertake maintenance and capital works and reduced the capacity for the network to recover from degraded operations.

iv) Protected Industrial Actions (PIA) – PIA by rail unions in support of Enterprise Bargaining claims impacted the ability of Sydney Trains to provide services and carry out maintenance programs. Over 500 individual examples of PIA were in place at various times during the bargaining period.

v) Evolving Transport and Corporate Functions Review (CFR) – these programs entailed substantial restructuring of relations and functions between Sydney Trains and TfNSW with resulting business impact.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... y-2023.pdf

Only got to page 3 and already I might read the rest
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The reliability of Sydney trains operations has been fragile since the 1980s at least!
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

There were not enough buses at the weekend covering trackwork on the Illawarra line. Catching an airport line train to Wolli Creek then a railway replacement bus involved walking from the station to a bus stop on the highway, about a 10-minute walk. No railway buses came while I was there and there was a queue of over 100 people waiting for the bus. Eventually a route 422 bus came going to Kogarah which I was able to board. The remaining passengers left behind at this stop would most likely not being able to board railway buses as they would have filled up when commencing from Redfern. In future trackwork on the Illawarra line, if the airport line is operating to Wolli Creek, railway buses should commence from the station entrance.
\
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

hugh45 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:10 pm There were not enough buses at the weekend covering trackwork on the Illawarra line. Catching an airport line train to Wolli Creek then a railway replacement bus involved walking from the station to a bus stop on the highway, about a 10-minute walk. No railway buses came while I was there and there was a queue of over 100 people waiting for the bus. Eventually a route 422 bus came going to Kogarah which I was able to board. The remaining passengers left behind at this stop would most likely not being able to board railway buses as they would have filled up when commencing from Redfern. In future trackwork on the Illawarra line, if the airport line is operating to Wolli Creek, railway buses should commence from the station entrance.
\
I was one of those waiting for an 'express' at Central going to Hurstville, and the "all stops from Sydenham" showed up, loaded passengers (still seats left at the time - about 1pm), then went on its merry way - the express was that far behind that it showed up, left passengers behind, and was still beaten to Hurstville by said all stops bus.

I did notice that the "all stops" bus stopped on the Princes Highway at Wolli Creek and Arncliffe, I suspect for convenience purposes given it would have just gone down the highway from Tempe to Banksia then whichever way it went for the other stations (the Central to Hurstville express took Southern Cross Drive, M5 East to the Airport exit then roads through to Forest Road all the way to Hurstville).

Not sure how the buses were organised but the "all stops" buses seemed to be operated by a number of charter operators, whereas said express services were operated by Transit Systems using R6 buses mostly from Kingsgrove or Tempe depots as far as I could tell (last week that mix included some Kinetic buses).
Complication may have been due to the Bankstown line also being closed for trackwork (my guess some works at Sydenham for the Metro, since I saw a northbound freight train going through Hurstville at one point).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
alleve

Post by alleve »

I was at Kogarah at 9.30am ish on Saturday and all the replacement buses were very late, we waited over 30 minutes for a rail replacement bus, and could have waited longer had we not just given up and gotten on the 422.

All the all stops buses I saw drive past were operated by Transdev, apart from one CDC Scania CR228L I saw driving around

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”