Rail Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Rail Observations 2023

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:31 am What happens to a Metro door when it hits somebody? Does it just keep closing?
There's only one way to find out Glen!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Randomness wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:02 am
boronia wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:41 pm Perhaps they could have some AI system that calculates the density of people on the platform and adjusts the time accordingly?
Maybe Opal entry/exit data can be used to determine how many people are waiting and adjust based off that. Buses already have the calculation done through the Wayfarer machines for occupancy data so it isn’t too far of a stretch.

Would be great to see what Metro Trains respond with.
Tapping on won’t give an indication of direction of travel, and won’t be effective in shared stations like Chatswood or Central.

Cameras can better work out individual platform density.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:15 pm Not extending the time that doors are open to allow more passengers on safely sounds like a backward union rule. Like not using all bus doors to board and alight in Canberra.
Probably an operator rule. Extending dwell times extends overall running times.
10 extras seconds over 20 stops adds over 3 minutes to the journey.

A bit like the F1 ferries, Transdev only allows 250 pax on a 400 capacity boat because it takes too long to load/ unload more and they wouldn’t be able to keep the timetable and TfNSW is too stingey to allow an extra ferry to compensate.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

MTS is operating to timetable and performance standards set by TfNSW. Same with Transdev and the F1 ferries. However, sometimes operators are stuck with infrastructure restrictions left to them by TfNSW.

The Emeralds can't load more efficiently because the wharves haven't been modified to enable them to use their two gangways. A decision was made to order the metro trains with three doors per side per car rather than four doors typically the case on metro trains. I hope they rectify that on Metro West. (Perth likewise will eventually regret their decision to reduce the doors on their C series from four to three.) The ridiculous door situation on Australian buses is a well-known inhibitor of productivity.

I believe also that TfNSW could try harder on standards from their suppliers. One thing I have noticed on the metro (as well as on the new trams here) is the time it takes to open and shut doors, usually about 5 seconds. So, with the metro that's 10 seconds lost out of the 30 second dwell window.

When I was living in Prague, I spent some time measuring such things on their networks and I did observe that metro and tram doors would open instantly on stopping (one to two seconds) and similarly quick on closing. Perhaps PSDs might introduce an additional complication - I haven't had much prior experience with those - but, since they operate simultaneously, they shouldn't spin the process out much more.

All questions that should be discussed in any interaction with TfNSW, but I'd expect anybody enquiring about these things would get the usual patronising, information-free response. They should take a leaf out of PTA WA's book where you're put directly in touch with the relevant staff, even given their direct phone number and email. It was like that in Czech Republic too. In NSW we're treated like mushrooms, you know, fed lots of bs and kept in the dark. So good luck with following this up.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Glen wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:31 am What happens to a Metro door when it hits somebody? Does it just keep closing?
It opens again, then tries to close again, much like the doors of an elevator.

I've heard of cases overseas where people get stuck between the platform doors and the train doors, and then get killed when the train departs. I don't think such an occurrence would be possible here, as the platform doors have rubber on the train side, leaving a gap between the doors and train that (I think) no human could fit in without preventing the platform doors from closing
alleve

Post by alleve »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyH2x6MOl9b ... BiNWFlZA==

Chris Minns has posted on Instagram announcing the opening of Redfern station's new concourse

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_KGajJ ... rainsVlogs STV's video showing off the new concourse. Very interesting that both ends of the concourse have the old ticket gates, and very interesting that the signs show platforms 11 and 12, despite the concourse having no access to those platforms
boronia

Post by boronia »

From SMH:

10.45am
Network-wide communication issue causes delays for Sydney Trains
By Olivia Ireland

In state news, Sydney Trains services were down for 15 minutes and commuters were told to consider using other transport before services resumed on a delayed timetable.

In a post to X, formerly known as Twitter, Sydney Trains advised commuters at 10.37am to consider using other transport as trains were not moving, citing a network-wide communication issue.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I noticed V sets being used last Sunday at Sydney Terminal. Is that only on western line services on the weekend?
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:43 pm I noticed V sets being used last Sunday at Sydney Terminal. Is that only on western line services on the weekend?
Yes, only V sets (Electric Train) operates the Blue Mountains Line. No Oscars (H Sets) are rostered on the blue mountains line. V sets can also fill on the Newcastle and Central Coast line if needed for extra services or broken down train.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The tunnels must see to that. I thought they would have completed the widening programme.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The tunnel widening is long completed. D sets have been going to/from Lithgow for storage (mostly under tow) for a couple of years now.

BMT crews may not be qualified for Oscars. The only regular use in the past was a couple of ex-CCN services to/from Springwood, that was many years ago.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

I'm not sure if these references are only related to weekends, but I thought that Oscars were still running to Springwood. V-sets are still certainly running on CCN along with the Oscars. I've noticed regular loco hauled 10 car D-sets lately on the Northern Line, no doubt on their way to Kariong for the modifications.
alleve

Post by alleve »

Transtopic wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:50 pm I'm not sure if these references are only related to weekends, but I thought that Oscars were still running to Springwood. V-sets are still certainly running on CCN along with the Oscars. I've noticed regular loco hauled 10 car D-sets lately on the Northern Line, no doubt on their way to Kariong for the modifications.
Oscars don't run to Springwood. Furthest west they go is Blacktown
boronia

Post by boronia »

Transtopic wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:50 pm I'm not sure if these references are only related to weekends, but I thought that Oscars were still running to Springwood. V-sets are still certainly running on CCN along with the Oscars. I've noticed regular loco hauled 10 car D-sets lately on the Northern Line, no doubt on their way to Kariong for the modifications.
The last Oscar service to Springwood would have been about 15 years ago. They ran to Penrith/Emu Plains up till about 10 years ago, then cut back to Blacktown, but stabled at Penrith between peaks. Now they normally stable at Blacktown.

The "fast" CCN services to Newcastle on weekdays are usually V sets, the slow services are Oscars.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

D must stand for deterioration from prolonged outdoor storage. Only some are going to have the new train smell when we finally see them in service. At least there won't be other smells except for ageing plastics and vinyl.
Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:05 pm
The "fast" CCN services to Newcastle on weekdays are usually V sets, the slow services are Oscars.
I do like your use of inverted commas.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Didn't need them in the days of the steam hauled Newscastle flyer.
taptap23

Post by taptap23 »

A Oscar set was last regularly timetabled to Springwood in the AM peak until 2017.
However earlier this year an Oscar operated in passenger service to Katoomba filling in for a V set (Crewed by Central Intercity)
They have also performed ATP testing as far as Lithgow.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Blue and yellow boards have appeared at various trackside locations on the Cronulla branch. Presumably to do with the digital signalling project.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:41 pm Blue and yellow boards have appeared at various trackside locations on the Cronulla branch. Presumably to do with the digital signalling project.
No doubt it is. While all of the recent media attention has been focused on the Sydney Metro Review, I'm amazed that no mention has been made about this important upgrade to the Sydney Trains network. The digital signalling and ATO upgrades didn't even come up in the election campaign, which you would think would have been a positive message in favour of the previous LNP government. The new Labor government has similarly been quiet. It's at least welcoming to know that these upgrades are now to be extended to the City Circle and North Shore Line as the next stage, but don't expect to see any mention of it in the media.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I doubt the general public would be much interested in it, so it has little political value.
There is nothing physical to see, services will still get delayed for various reasons.
@ The Museum of Fire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

boronia wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:27 pm I doubt the general public would be much interested in it, so it has little political value.
There is nothing physical to see, services will still get delayed for various reasons.
It's a potential political downside - they are bound to have integration problems once the new system starts seeing real usage - in particular handover between new and old and between regions of the new system. Just look at how long it's taking them to get the Elisabeth Line operating properly in the UK. (And guess where we turn for 'experienced program managers' when things get tough!)
Given our history of 'new' systems (DTRS causing several system-wide disruptions when its supposed fail-safe backend fails), I can sort of see why the political class may want to not talk about it.
When the system finally gets the kinks ironed out it's possible to schedule more trains, then they will make a song-n-dance about it.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Services are currently delayed due to “lightning strikes damaging overhead wiring at Casula”. That’s certainly an uncommon one.
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The Chalmers St entrance to Central opened today.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/new ... 5ej3x.html
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”