Re: Ferry Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fantasea Cruises.
This now appears to operate separately from My Fast Ferry with its own website. https://www.fantasea.com.au/
https://www.fantasea.com.au/sydney-harb ... ng-cruise/
The Sydney Harbour hopper which was previously included in the My Fast Ferry website and had its timetable included in the Transport for NSW timetables now just has a reference to the Fantasea website where it has its timetable and just has a reference to Fantasea website in the My Fast Feryr website and I can no longer find it in the Transport for NSW timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Oops - The Hopper does still get a mention in the Fast Ferry website but it get more coverage in the Fantasea website,
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And the timetable codes in the Transport for NSW timetables, which have now gone, were MDH and MWB.
I have found some archived copies but are at least three years old (Quite a few MDH and 1 MWB)
Here is just an example
https://web.archive.org/web/20191219010 ... 200106.pdf
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

From Twitter
The closure of Parramatta Wharf for nearby construction works has been extended until 27 April. Shuttle bus route 60F3 will continue to run between Parramatta & Rydalmere wharves
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 230423.pdf
yesterdays link showed it as expiring yesterday (end of summer timetable). The company website shows a new winter timetable starting today but the TNSW timetables no longer list this service, But the timetable link above still works.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The winter timetable has now been added for the WAGE Palm Beach, Wagstaffe, Ettalong Ferry as well as the next Summer timetable starting on 30th September.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The Emerald ferries have an official "capacity" of 400, I think it may be around 350 actual seats.

When the Covid distance restrictions were imposed, this was reduced to about 250. Although those restrictions have long been lifted, Transdev continues to impose it, promptly closing the gates when this figure is reached.

It seems now that 250 is the maximum number of passengers they want to turn around at CQ or Manly within the timetabled 8-10 minute dwell time. Any more, risks the service running late. This contributes to the long queues at Manly on weekend afternoons and evenings. The 2 hourly Freshwater service does little to relieve this problem.

I noticed on Friday that the countdown was starting at 350. Some staff have advised they do this "when it is not busy". So at times when they are not likely to get even 250 a trip, they advertise a higher number. They weren't able to explain how 350 would load quicker on a "quiet" day than on a "busy" day.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The whole service is being fouled up by the continuing operation of the Freshwaters, which is preventing the wharves being reconfigured to enable the Emeralds to use both of their two gangways and thus exchange a full load within the dwell time. The whole pork barrelling exercise has descended into a complete clusterfuck that also fuels the anti-Emerald mob because they can argue that the Emeralds can't do the job, without acknowledging the reason they can't do their job properly - the retention of the Freshwaters.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:30 pm I noticed on Friday that the countdown was starting at 350. Some staff have advised they do this "when it is not busy". So at times when they are not likely to get even 250 a trip, they advertise a higher number. They weren't able to explain how 350 would load quicker on a "quiet" day than on a "busy" day.
Perhaps next time you speak to the wharfingers or crew you might ask them what their estimate of dwell time might be if they had two gangways. The aft gangway is positioned to service the aft main deck saloon and upper open deck. The centre gangway should only have to service the forward main deck saloon and the enclosed saloon on the promenade deck.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Whilst looking for something else on Anytrip, my attention was distracted by Freshwater and Clontarf crossing from Manly. Freshwater left Manly as scheduled, Clontarf eleven minutes later (one minute late). Clontarf overtook Freshwater at Fort Denison and arrived at the Quay two minutes early. Freshwater arrived two minutes late. The Emeralds are running with one arm tied behind their back because they can only use one gangway because the wharves are still configured for the Freshwaters and are supposedly disadvantaged by allegedly poorer seakeeping (it must be a choppy day today with this wind).

I think the public really should know how many people use each service. I fail to see the point of the Freshwaters. If it's holiday crowds, then has anybody looked at reconfiguring the wharves so that the Emeralds can use both gangways and turn around quicker, then more boats can be run? The whole show has disintegrated into a farce because everybody is trying to chase some little group of fans of old technology and their votes. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in several decades of observing the local transport scene.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: I think the public really should know how many people use each service.
I doubt the public at large really care. If you really want to know, try making a Freedom of Information request.
tonyp wrote: I fail to see the point of the Freshwaters.
You know perfectly well why they remain as it has been explained on this board many times, you just don't like it.
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:48 pm
boronia wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:30 pm I noticed on Friday that the countdown was starting at 350. Some staff have advised they do this "when it is not busy". So at times when they are not likely to get even 250 a trip, they advertise a higher number. They weren't able to explain how 350 would load quicker on a "quiet" day than on a "busy" day.
Perhaps next time you speak to the wharfingers or crew you might ask them what their estimate of dwell time might be if they had two gangways. The aft gangway is positioned to service the aft main deck saloon and upper open deck. The centre gangway should only have to service the forward main deck saloon and the enclosed saloon on the promenade deck.
I wonder if having a second gangway would require more staff?
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:19 pm I wonder if having a second gangway would require more staff?
I'm not up to date with current crewing. Do they still need an extra deckhand for the Manly service? I presume there are several wharfingers on the wharves anyway.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Apparently 3 on an inner harbour Emerald, 4 on the Manly run, 6 on a Freshwater.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2023/f10 ... n-8-12-may
F10 Blackwattle Bay service disruption 8 - 12 May
Thursday 04 May 2023

From Monday 8 May to Friday 12 May, F10 Blackwattle Bay services will not run due to maintenance works.

Alternate transport options include L1 light rail services and bus routes 370 and 431 on Glebe Point Rd and Leichhardt St.

Use the Trip Planner to plan your trip.
Living in the Shire.
Kiyrri

Post by Kiyrri »

tonyp wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:48 pm
I wonder if having a second gangway would require more staff?

Dual-gangway loading is not an issue with staff numbers; I have witnessed it many times with the MFF services, meanwhile whilst the Emeralds are unloading/loading at CQ there are ample wharf/deck hands standing around... Not sure if this is the same at Manly but crewing certainly should not be an issue at CQ.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Kiyrri wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:44 am Dual-gangway loading is not an issue with staff numbers; I have witnessed it many times with the MFF services, meanwhile whilst the Emeralds are unloading/loading at CQ there are ample wharf/deck hands standing around... Not sure if this is the same at Manly but crewing certainly should not be an issue at CQ.
Those are my observations too. Since there are two wharf faces available at CQ, they should reconfigure one side for the Emeralds so that two gangways can be used there. That leaves Manly as a problem.
Kiyrri

Post by Kiyrri »

tonyp wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:46 am Those are my observations too. Since there are two wharf faces available at CQ, they should reconfigure one side for the Emeralds so that two gangways can be used there. That leaves Manly as a problem.
The issue would then be; what happens on the public holidays or other days where they have a second Freshwater Class running, would they have to take turns on the one side of the CQ wharf, making loading/unloading slower than it originally was?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Kiyrri wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:09 pm The issue would then be; what happens on the public holidays or other days where they have a second Freshwater Class running, would they have to take turns on the one side of the CQ wharf, making loading/unloading slower than it originally was?
Will there be ever a time when two Freshwaters need to be at a wharf at the same time? If there was, they're extras, not the vessels supporting the main timetable, so they can afford to stand off and wait for a vacant berth,
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:14 pm
Kiyrri wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:09 pm The issue would then be; what happens on the public holidays or other days where they have a second Freshwater Class running, would they have to take turns on the one side of the CQ wharf, making loading/unloading slower than it originally was?
Will there be ever a time when two Freshwaters need to be at a wharf at the same time? If there was, they're extras, not the vessels supporting the main timetable, so they can afford to stand off and wait for a vacant berth,
When there are 2 running, it is to an hourly frequency. The turn-around CQ-CQ time is 1:10. There is no scheduled overlap, but a 50 minute layover at CQ between trips.

At the moment, it seems that there is only one in service, Freshwater. Collaroy is off for survey; Queenscliff is mid-refit and won't be back in dry dock until August; Narrabeen is "withdrawn". Will be interesting to see what Labor is going to do with them.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Kiyrri

Post by Kiyrri »

Will centrainly be 'interesting.' Unfortunately I do not see Narrabeen making a comeback, although Collaroy should be back soon enough, and I see no reason for Queenscliff to go anywhere other than back into service after all the money & time put into the refits. As for Freshwater, we can only hope She keeps going for many years to come...
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Original plan was that the Collaroy would be retired once the Queenscliff returned. Presumably it was envisaged this would happen before Collaroy's survey expired.

Steering dramas force government to recommission retired Manly ferry (Sydney Morning Herald 13 June 2022)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2023/dou ... ry-closure
Double Bay wharf temporary closure
Tuesday 30 May 2023

The F7 Double Bay ferry service will not stop at Double Bay Wharf from Tuesday 13 June, while the wharf is upgraded.

The closure will continue for approximately six months until November 2023.

Alternative transport options include nearby buses, trains at Edgecliff Station and ferries from Darling Point Wharf.

Use the Trip Planner to plan your trip and check alerts for further information and updates on the closure.
Alternative bus services

From Steyne Park, WIlliam Street

Route 328 towards Edgecliff Station (limited hours, weekday only)

From New South Head Road opp Knox Street

Route 323 towards Edgecliff Station
Route 324 towards Edgecliff Station, Town Hall, Wynyard (Kent St) and Walsh Bay
Route 324X towards Edgecliff Station, Town Hall and Wynyard (Kent St) (peak hours only)
Route 325 towards Edgecliff Station, Town Hall, Wynyard (Kent St) and Walsh Bay
Route 326 towards Edgecliff Station

From New South Head Rd opp Henrietta St

Route 323 towards Edgecliff Station
Route 324 towards Edgecliff Station, Town Hall, WYnyard (Kent St) and Walsh Bay
Route 324X towards Edgecliff Station, Town Hall and Wynyard (Kent St) (peak hours only)
Route 325 towards Edgecliff Station, Town Hall, Wynyard (Kent St) and Walsh Bay
Route 326 towards Edgecliff Station
Route 327 towards Edgecliff Station
There is no mention of a temporary timetable but there is still 2 weeks to go before the closure starts.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote: There is no mention of a temporary timetable but there is still 2 weeks to go before the closure starts.
Existing timetable will probably remain in place with ferries having a longer layover at Darling Point.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projec ... rf-upgrade
See "Closure of the wharf and alternative transport" section...
"During this time, recreational and commercial vessels will need to berth at an alternative wharf such as Rose Bay."
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”