Re: Ferry Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

tonyp wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:13 pm
Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:28 pm Looks better than I had expected. This could ultimately be the end of the normal Manly Ferry service.
I suspect that's what they're aiming to do. If so, they should give the Emeralds to MFF to use so that commuters have a higher-capacity, more spacious ferry to use.
I agree, there doesn’t really appear to be any need for separate operations when just about everything is the same between the services. Heritage Freshwaters and beverages possibly being points of difference remaining.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Sounds nonsensical to me. Everybody will be baying to get on the deluxe service.

Can you imagine how absurd it would have been if we had the same fare between the ferry and the hydrofoil back in the sane pre 1990s days?
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

I would not call MFF deluxe by any stretch. For a while, they had the benefit of aircon while the Freshwaters were operating, but the Emeralds have evened that out. I’d say outside seating on Emeralds is more comfortable, MFF having metal benches that really do dig in. A for journey time, there’s a 2 min difference Emerald vs MFF.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The MFF boats seem to handle swells better than the Emeralds.

Mentioned was made in earlier releases that MFF would be adding additional ferry(ies?) as part of the deal.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The extra ferries were already introduced earlier this year with new timetables on 1st April and 1st July.

And on a slightly different tack, Captain Cook Cruises also announced earlier this year that there would be Opal integration for the Lane Cove ferry service later this year as part of the new contract. I guess that is still to come.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Ok, so the premium factor is not quite as dramatic as the days of the hydrofoil and Jetcat.
Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:52 pm
And on a slightly different tack, Captain Cook Cruises also announced earlier this year that there would be Opal integration for the Lane Cove ferry service later this year as part of the new contract. I guess that is still to come.
That's good to hear.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:12 pm Ok, so the premium factor is not quite as dramatic as the days of the hydrofoil and Jetcat.
The premium is the faster, more frequent service - what public transport is supposed to do.

I bet they won't release any broken down patronage figures for the two services after the fare change. The Freshwaters will be carrying fresh air, as well as being costly to run, hardly a responsible use of taxpayer money. If they want to be that profligate with money, they should put the South Steyne on the run - at least that would attract passengers.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

According to Schedule 8, all fares are set by TfNSW and notified to the Operator.
MFF has no control on the fare so it is no different from a co-operator of ferry route F1.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... DACTED.pdf
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Fleet Lists wrote: announced earlier this year that there would be Opal integration for the Lane Cove ferry service later this year as part of the new contract. I guess that is still to come.
This 'further integration' ?
https://inthecove.com.au/2023/04/10/add ... pril-2023/

Agree I hope it is similar full transfer benefits.
And wonder whether it also means Opal poles at the Lane Cove River stops.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

From the My Fast ferry website
https://www.myfastferry.com.au/2023/09/ ... ast-ferry/
From Sunday 1 October the Manly to Circular Quay Manly Fast Ferry service will see fares fall to the same single-journey price as the F1 Ferry service, and the same array of Opal benefits offered across the Opal network will kick-in.

The 20-minute Manly Fast Ferry ride will be bundled into the daily and weekly transport caps, with discounts applied when transferring between multiple modes of public transport under the Opal Transfer Discount.

The change means more than 700 NRMA-operated Manly Fast Ferry services a week will be accessible under Opal fares, opening up choice, service frequency, and travel rewards for passengers.

As part of the Opal integration, new ticketing gates for the Manly Fast Ferry service are being installed at Manly wharf 2 and Circular Quay wharf 2A.

Once in place, passengers will be able to use their opal card, contactless card, or digital device to tap on and tap off the Manly Fast Ferry service.

You will need to continue to tap on at the Manly Fast Ferry payment terminal, until Opal gates go live on Sunday 1 October.
Current Manly Fast Ferry fare
with Smartcard discount Opal
Ferry Fare Opal
Daily Travel Cap* Opal
Weekly Travel Cap* Opal
Weekend Daily Travel Cap*
Adult $10.20 / $8.16 $8.04 $16.80 $50 $8.40
Student / Concession $6.10 / $6.10 $4.02 $8.40 $25 $4.20
Senior / Pensioner $10.20 / $8.16 $2.50 $2.50 N/A $2.50

*Opal Travel Caps apply across all metro, train, bus, ferry and light rail services.\
Of course the fares shown will only last for two weeks until the new fares come into force.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Appears that rather than being a franchise, i.e. with MFF being responsible for revenue and costs, under the new regime it will be operating on the same concession model as Transdev does, with TfNSW being responsible for revenue and MFF costs only.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

A request.....could one of you ferry-watchers please tell me which Quay to Manly departures next Saturday morning (23.9) will be operated by a Freshwater class ferry?
Thanks.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

0931 and then every two hours, can be identified on journey planner as having a 30 minute journey time vs 20-22 for the Emerald operated services.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

lunchbox wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:05 am A request.....could one of you ferry-watchers please tell me which Quay to Manly departures next Saturday morning (23.9) will be operated by a Freshwater class ferry?
Thanks.
Visible in the timetable as the longer trip. If you're riding, it would be interesting to hear observation of passenger numbers compared to the Emeralds. I have plenty of information that few people choose the Freshwaters except when there's a surge at Manly on weekends/holidays. I've seen video inside a Freshwater where the whole boat is empty except for a small cluster of people at the bow.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

See
Screenshot 2023-09-20 14.02.07.png
It will also be interesting to see if there is any impact on the loadings from 1 October when the Fast Ferry becomes fully Opal enabled.
Living in the Shire.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^thanks all................
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:39 pm
If they want to be that profligate with money, they should put the South Steyne on the run - at least that would attract passengers.
Stick the propulsion ware from the Collaroy into the South Steyne. Like sticking a modern EFI engine into a grey motor Holden or a 1960 Ford Falcon, to a larger scale.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

....or with todays technology, run the South Steyne's steam engine on compressed air. All the visuals and audibles, without the cost & negative approbrium of coal.
Swift

Post by Swift »

What would actually provide the HP and torque?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

lunchbox wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:23 pm ....or with todays technology, run the South Steyne's steam engine on compressed air. All the visuals and audibles, without the cost & negative approbrium of coal.
In modern times it has been using recycled sump oil. It never ran on pure coal.
Swift wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:14 pm What would actually provide the HP and torque?
2,420 kW. Being designed for this run, it has plenty of power and acceleration. Like the Freshwaters, the inefficiencies of its hull compared to a cat mean that it can't deliver a faster journey time than cats. It has run to Manly since the Freshwater loading ramp was installed, so is proven quite capable of doing so. It distresses me that all that good money is being spent on the Freshwaters when the South Steyne is in great need of maintenance funding and a wharf where it can trade and earn its keep. The Freshwaters would be the worst example of throwing away good money after bad that I can recall in Sydney public transport, though I'm sure I may have overlooked something.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

100% agree on the Freshwaters taking up money that South Steyne likely needs considering the condition of it's hull. From what i've heard, it's not Baragoola level critical, but will probably deteriorate further if nothing is done.

I think one Freshwater would have been enough for heritage, as much as it pains me considering how much I like them over the Emerald 2s, but i'm sure many feel the same way about other heritage projects only being able to spare 1 or 2 examples.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Collaroy to be retired this week, Queenscliff to return in November.

Large Manly ferry to return to the Harbour – but not before another is lost (Sydney Morning Herald)
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

lunchbox wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:23 pm ....or with todays technology, run the South Steyne's steam engine on compressed air. All the visuals and audibles, without the cost & negative approbrium of coal.
And how do you keep that air pressure at a workable level? With no steam there will be no visuals and very little audibles (apart from a generator ratting away in the background. Suppose it could be run off batteries?)
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Collaroy made its final journey today, the 1731 from Circular Quay.

Queenscliff ferry to return, but Collaroy ferry likely to be scuttled (Manly Observer)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Is the hull sound? Why not sell it?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”