Bus Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Bus Observations 2023

Post by Linto63 »

The year will bring some significant operator changes. In Sydney the Forest and Hillsbus brands will be retired, Punchbowl will cease operating route services and Transdev will lose three of its four regions. Of the remaining family operated regions up for renewal (1, 2 and 15) will any still be so be at the end of the year?

Outside of Sydney, Qcity Transit and Transborder Express will both be rebranded CDC Canberra in January.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Bus Observations 2023

Post by Merc1107 »

Even if the last family buses retain their contracts, will they be swallowed up by multinational as well?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

They could be bought out by a multinational if the price offered is favourable financially. Why run a big bus company when you could potentially make more by investing the proceeds?

Such a deal would have to be approved by TfNSW. And the buyer would most probably have to work to the contract in place.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:00 am The year will bring some significant operator changes. In Sydney the Forest and Hillsbus brands will be retired, Punchbowl will cease operating route services and Transdev will lose three of its four regions. Of the remaining family operated regions up for renewal (1, 2 and 15) will any still be so be at the end of the year?

Outside of Sydney, Qcity Transit and Transborder Express will both be rebranded CDC Canberra in January.
I’d say if Forest and Hillsbus brands being retired. I’m guessing Hunter Valley and Coastal Liner will be following suit
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I suspect Blanch Ballina and the various regional Forest operations like Coffs Harbour, Sawtell, Narrabri etc will also follow,
Living in the Shire.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:43 pm I suspect Blanch Ballina and the various regional Forest operations like Coffs Harbour, Sawtell, Narrabri etc will also follow,
Sad to see them all go but all a beginning of a new era of CDC NSW and also CDC Canberra. Be interesting to see what they do in the HVB with most of the outstanding fleet in the Canary Yellow whether they’ll just update the Logos and not repaint them into the TFNSW Livery
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Benny95 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:33 pm
I’d say if Forest and Hillsbus brands being retired. I’m guessing Hunter Valley and Coastal Liner will be following suit
The rumour is that Hunter Valley Buses and Coastal Liner will combine into CDC Hunter Valley.
Living in the Shire.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Will we also have CDC Blue Mountains?
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:32 pm
Benny95 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:33 pm
The rumour is that Hunter Valley Buses and Coastal Liner will combine into CDC Hunter Valley.
That’s interesting because there’s some buses up around the Hunter Valley already having the CDC NSW Stickers applied. Most of the Buses in Singleton have big stickers on the backs of the buses with the Hunter Valley stickers removed from underneath
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

CDC NSW may be more of an umbrella brand, that will have a number of sub-brands beneath it, much like there is CDC Victoria, but the operations are branded CDC Ballarat, CDC Melbourne etc. Although CDC did state that its Sydney operations would be rebranded CDC NSW, not CDC Sydney, Recent Hillsbus repaints carry the CDC NSW branding along the same lines as reported above about buses in the Hunter Valley. That said it was first announced over 5 years ago, so clearly CDC is not in a rush.

The legacy names may live on in the legal names of the various companies as reflected on accreditation details on vehicles, e.g. region 14 buses may well still show Forest Coach Lines on the front offside panel. Much like Marrickville Bus Lines is still the name of the company behind Kinetic Sydney and is reflected in its accreditation.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Very well put. But now with the addition of region 12, they may want to have this in place for Sydney by the time this is taken over.

I have also just noticed that CDC Broken Hill is now linked to the CDC New South website instead of the CDC Victoria website to which it was linked when the name CDC Broken Hill was first adopted.

The NSW website has at least one problem where the links to Transborder and QCity in https://cdcbus.com.au/travel-info/timetables-and-maps/ already reject as "Website name parked".
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote: But now with the addition of region 12, they may want to have this in place for Sydney by the time this is taken over.
While there may be a gradual rebranding of buses in the lead up to the new contract taking effect, likely that the existing structure, website etc will remain in place and then transition on the first day of the new contract.
Fleet Lists wrote: I have also just noticed that CDC Broken Hill is now linked to the CDC New South website instead of the CDC Victoria website to which it was linked when the name CDC Broken Hill was first adopted.
Probably because Broken Hill was acquired with the Buslink business, so initially it was easier to leave it attached to its existing parent while IT systems, reporting structures etc were integrated.
Fleet Lists wrote: The NSW website has at least one problem where the links to Transborder and QCity already reject as "Website name parked".
Both were working a few days ago, possibly a glitch in the switch to the new CDC Canberra website that was parked up a few days ago.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Hillsbus was still using their B10MA's as of yesterday morning on the 610x to QVB Sydney, I thought high-floors on revenue service were prohibited as of January 1st 2023? I think I counted 3 out of 4 of their B10MA's on the 610x to QVB yesterday morning.

Could they still be using them due to capacity reasons or just wanting to run them until their rego is up for renewal where they'll then be withdrawn?

Funcoach4u Thornton has a new coach after the operators last remaining coach was involved in an accident, only saw their new coach when I was going past on the XPT so I don't 100% know the registration yet however it has a cream style livery, I reckon older mid 1990's coach, maybe early 2000's up to about 2003?

I know it's 2023 now ish but I've been on Holidays so unable to post, I last saw the electric Volvo BZL Express demonstrator bus (yes the same one at last years Sydney Bus & Coach Expo) parked up at Volvo Beresfield, interesting to see it down here? Maybe someone will be demoing it out soon?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:12 am Hillsbus was still using their B10MA's as of yesterday morning on the 610x to QVB Sydney, I thought high-floors on revenue service were prohibited as of January 1st 2023? I think I counted 3 out of 4 of their B10MA's on the 610x to QVB yesterday morning.

Could they still be using them due to capacity reasons or just wanting to run them until their rego is up for renewal where they'll then be withdrawn?
Like the Transdev timetables I commented on last week, the 610X timetable now shows all trips as wheelchair accessible.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So what your saying is Yesterday was potentially the B10MA's last day of revenue service? (Because I doubt Hillsbus can put them on School service and I've heard B10M parts are drying up hence CDC's withdrawal of other B10M's from various operations of theirs around the state).

I tried selecting articulated bus types on Anytrip about 10 minutes ago and their not appearing this morning at all, I was at QVB yesterday morning prior to 9:30 AM and they were out then.

Perhaps I got extremely lucky I ended up in Sydney when I did, just wish I wasn't having to haul luggage around from a Holiday trip otherwise a trip on them would've been on the cards.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:28 am So what your saying is Yesterday was potentially the B10MA's last day of revenue service? (Because I doubt Hillsbus can put them on School service and I've heard B10M parts are drying up hence CDC's withdrawal of other B10M's from various operations of theirs around the state).
No, that timetable has been current since 17 December 2022, so that has not changed in the last couple of days..
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:12 am Could they still be using them due to capacity reasons or just wanting to run them until their rego is up for renewal where they'll then be withdrawn?
At least in other jurisdictions, if the rego is cancelled, the difference is refunded. Presumably NSW isn't any different in this regard.

IMO rego expiry won't play a huge part in the withdrawal of a bus, unless repairs need to be carried out for inspection that are uneconomic.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Well it's a mystery then as to how they still appeared on the 610x if the change to the 610x timetable indicating accessibility was made prior to Christmas. Given I already knew prior to Christmas the DDA change would be coming into force end of December 2022, I wasn't exactly expecting to see High-floors still operating past 31st December 2022 (And the majority of the operators I previously knew to do so ceased operating high-floors on service runs as soon as school Holidays starts).

Someone at Hillsbus doing the bus scheduling must've not gotten the memo about the DDA changes or this slipped through the cracks but the 610x being what it is, perhaps there may have also been a lack of buses that could cover it at the time in question. Again I don't exactly know why although if there's an answer to this, only CDC NSW / Hillsbus would know.

I've checked up here, Port Stephens Coaches is no longer using their Volvo B7R SB50's on the 130 to Hunter Street run and return so I assume their last SB50 on the 130 would've been prior to DEC 31st 2022.

Now that leaves another question, does anyone know what this DDA means in terms of rail replacement buses?
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways 1674 on the 779 Yesterday Morning First time an Sta Corporate 2 Liveried bus on the 779 first time a B10BLE has worked the Route although the B12B at Glendenning has worked the old 779 approximately 2 years ago.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:12 am Funcoach4u Thornton has a new coach after the operators last remaining coach was involved in an accident, only saw their new coach when I was going past on the XPT so I don't 100% know the registration yet however it has a cream style livery, I reckon older mid 1990's coach, maybe early 2000's up to about 2003?
The coach in question is TV 4092, 1999 Scania K124EB with QCC Majestic bodywork formally belonging to Priests Coaches of Wagga Wagga. It Doesn't have accreditation yet on the side of it for FC4U but I believe that is something that the owner of FC4U will apply in due time.

TV 4092 has one more month of registration before it needs to be renewed.
PG1

Post by PG1 »

ScaniaGrenda - Now that leaves another question, does anyone know what this DDA means in terms of rail replacement buses?

Extracts from the Transport.info website (colour is my emphasis)
Replacement bus services
Replacement bus services are often used where there is trackwork for light and heavy rail or service disruption. Trackwork may also require changes to the timetable and route.

You may not need to tap on or tap off from a replacement bus service, however you must still carry a valid ticket. Please have your Opal card, contactless payment card, or Opal single trip ticket before boarding. Fines apply if you travel without a valid ticket.

Accessible transport during trackwork
If you require wheelchair accessible transport through areas affected by trackwork please contact your local station or operator beforehand to arrange a low-floor bus or other suitable vehicle. Please allow additional travel time

This does not seem to answer your question, although it may be just timing before all information is updated.

Coach
All Regional coaches are air-conditioned for your comfort and include allocated Economy seating, large windows, reclining seats with headrests and lap sash seatbelts.

See the full list of onboard facilities available on Regional coach services.

Short-distance service facilities
Accessibility on Regional coaches
For easy access, large coaches are equipped with a "kneeling" device which reduces the height customers need to step up onto the coach. Yellow handrails and edge markings on steps can assist visually impaired customers.

There are two wheelchair spaces on large coaches and one wheelchair space on a mini bus.

See how to book an accessible trip.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:44 am Now that leaves another question, does anyone know what this DDA means in terms of rail replacement buses?
There will be a lot of charter operators that would be running around looking for second hand easy accessible buses to run DDA compliant rail replacement. Does the DDA also apply to metropolitan area school charters regional school buses and tour coach operators??
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:31 pm There will be a lot of charter operators that would be running around looking for second hand easy accessible buses to run DDA compliant rail replacement. Does the DDA also apply to metropolitan area school charters regional school buses and tour coach operators??
It would appear that rail replacement services are not subject to DDA rules.
Timetables for replacement routes may or may not how show whether trips are operated by accessible buses. As an example timetables for routes 25T1 and 26T1 on 8 January do not show any accessible trips.
It will be interesting to see what the timetables for Hunter routes 10HU and 15HU the next weekend will show.
And I suspect it also does not apply to the other types you mention.
Living in the Shire.
Gusbus
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202 ZF

Post by Gusbus »

Sydney Trains staff can arrange taxi's through the Rail Operations Centre for any disabled customers who turn up at a station during trackwork. Those customers could also call ahead to their station to arrange. You will find that this alone will most likely cover off any requirements under the DDA legislation, both for emergency and planned trackwork.

Furthermore most buses used on planned train replacement are either low floor with an extendable ramp or coaches with a lift. The contracts between Sydney Trains and the bus operators directly already have a provision requiring 80% of buses used on planned trackwork to be wheelchair accessible, this has been in place since the last round were awarded years ago. These direct contracts are being slowly replaced by the new GSBC's and I would assume they would have some sort of similar clause.
Good riddens to Westbus...
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What is a GSBC?
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”