Bus Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Bus Observations 2023

Post by Swift »

Anyone know how Busways have found their Voith transmissions? I notice some drivers here on the central coast really thrashing them with the engine roaring away in 1st much longer than usual.
They are clearly flooring the pedal beyond the kickdown point. I have heard in the UK, they have built in monitors on how hard the driver is accelerating in the vehicle and they have to watch how they treat it, hence why you see them driven sedately.over there.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:42 amThey are clearly flooring the pedal beyond the kickdown point. I have heard in the UK, they have built in monitors on how hard the driver is accelerating in the vehicle and they have to watch how they treat it, hence why you see them driven sedately.over there.
You have to drive like a real idiot to upset the systems I have encountered in the past ... Harsh acceleration would only trigger if you accelerated against the park brake and abruptly released, a quick stop would upset the braking factor. Never got warnings to do with over-revving in spite of utilising the kickdown often.

Of course I'm sure it can all be tailored to the customer's requirements, but harsh driving would be a relative constant.

For what it's worth, I never attained "top score"... As staff moving buses around in the yard (at snail's pace) would obviously take top place because their driving was "perfect". As if you could upset the telematics crawling around a yard at 5km/h :roll:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One post concerning CDC moved to viewtopic.php?t=90106&start=900 where the subject concerned is already being discussed.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

I've noticed that Transport For NSW still has their COVID sanitising cleaning teams wiping down selected buses in between services at Campbelltown and Liverpool why is this the case when all other COVID protocols when it comes to public transport have been lifted for over a year now
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I've been on a couple of R6 buses over the weekend and I noticed they still have the Covid QR check-in stickers on the windows.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

You will see an occasional one out there across the city, not a big deal as the function still works AFAIK. Nearly all the buses I use don’t have them so it has been a while.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:37 pm
Swift wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:42 amThey are clearly flooring the pedal beyond the kickdown point. I have heard in the UK, they have built in monitors on how hard the driver is accelerating in the vehicle and they have to watch how they treat it, hence why you see them driven sedately.over there.
You have to drive like a real idiot to upset the systems I have encountered in the past ... Harsh acceleration would only trigger if you accelerated against the park brake and abruptly released, a quick stop would upset the braking factor. Never got warnings to do with over-revving in spite of utilising the kickdown often.

Of course I'm sure it can all be tailored to the customer's requirements, but harsh driving would be a relative constant.

For what it's worth, I never attained "top score"... As staff moving buses around in the yard (at snail's pace) would obviously take top place because their driving was "perfect". As if you could upset the telematics crawling around a yard at 5km/h :roll:
I've been told they can lose their job in England if they have been found to have accelerated too hard. Their driving style is monitored leading to very sedate driving.
Truly Orwellian.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

The Traffic in the uk even in Towns is Manic compared to Australia ignoring the fact the driving standard in the uk is way higher but the sheer volume of traffic is insane.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:20 am The Traffic in the uk even in Towns is Manic compared to Australia ignoring the fact the driving standard in the uk is way higher but the sheer volume of traffic is insane.
Bigger volume but better traffic light management in Europe generally keeps the flows more consistent, which also helps buses along. The "green wave" method here produces madly accelerating and braking waves of cars, then completely empty stretches of road in between. The green wave helps vehicles on the move to get through phases but it's disastrous for buses that have to stop at bus stops, therefore lose their place in the "platoon".
Stonesourscotty

Busways 600 on the 677 first time it's been back in Penrith since it left Penrith depot during covid.

Also 8 B10BlEs on a variety of routes in Penrith inc 1677 on the 771 and alot on Penrith Mt Druitts.

348 is now a trainer at Penrith still has its ****mo plate was the only high floor bus seen today. 793 and 1194 where also strangers in Penrith today first one on 797 second on 677
Last edited by Stonesourscotty on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Busways are probably getting good value out of them.
Stonesourscotty

Glendenning 855 on the 786 on a Sunday very unusual allocation and 859 from Penrith on the 797 very odd to get Customs CB60s at Weekends
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:11 am Being ultra new buses I'm way too skeptical of them being transfers if they already had Thornton Accreditation to begin with otherwise would've ended up with Edgeworth accreditation.

There are definitely Thornton Depot based school buses that go into Newcastle & surrounds so I'd say these are not transfers.

If their also coming up on real time tracking under Hunter Valley Buses North (Thornton / Singleton) then that may be further evidence they fall under that depot & not South (Edgeworth & ???)

Anyway I noticed yesterday on the Train when going past Hexham there's a STA Corp V1 livered Ansair / APG bus parked in the DAF / Kenworth yard at Hexham.

And a white unmarked Endura sitting at Volvo Beresfield.
So I passed both 9843/44 this morning at Minmi. The accreditation has been updated on both to Edgeworth 🤔
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

The fleetlists now show two Custom Denning Elements at Kingsgrove. Are these now in service?
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Benny95 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 pm So I passed both 9843/44 this morning at Minmi. The accreditation has been updated on both to Edgeworth 🤔
Really strange that those two would get delivered there, spend such a short period of time at Thornton (with Thornton accreditation) & then get transferred to Edgeworth anyway. Here was me thinking this was in preparation to possibly commence withdrawal of the aging 1998 - 2000 buses at Thornton Depot.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

alleve wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:12 pm The fleetlists now show two Custom Denning Elements at Kingsgrove. Are these now in service?
They have been registered but I don't believe they have entered service yet. There are a further 20 or so of them sitting in the former STA AMD yard unregistered, although with Kingsgrove accreditation.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

m/o 1054 from CDC Hillsbus spotted on Weakleys drive Beresfield possibly heading towards Thornton Depot this morning at 8AM, so possible Transfer? (Although someone noted this was recently transferred to Emu Plains?). Still had Hillsbus logo on it (no CDC NSW Decal) and Hillsbus Seven Hills accreditation on it.

Dashcam quality still, make of it what you will.

Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Ahh an early CB60, going by the one piece front corner panels. Dashcam quality going by the extreme wide angle.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Going by past then Hillsbus history looks like their possibly transferring older units to regional operations (Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley) etc to possibly make room for newer buses.

I totally expect to see this B10BLE on school specials and nothing more or less (Looking at you Csepel 844.31 CB60).
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:50 pm m/o 1054 from CDC Hillsbus spotted on Weakleys drive Beresfield possibly heading towards Thornton Depot this morning at 8AM, so possible Transfer? (Although someone noted this was recently transferred to Emu Plains?). Still had Hillsbus logo on it (no CDC NSW Decal) and Hillsbus Seven Hills accreditation on it.

Dashcam quality still, make of it what you will.

Looking at that second pic my guess is m/o 1094 which had recently been withdrawn at Edgeworth especially if it’s still got all old labels on it….
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Your right, It is actually 1094 (as I mentioned on my Dashcam recording). Just mixed the two up since it's hard to make out the fleet-number & remember after a long work day.

As I said in my lost post, if this is a transfer to Thornton I am only expecting to sadly see it on School specials, Thornton seems to be the one depot that won't run older vehicles on revenue runs anymore.
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

Fleet lists show m/o 1094 has been withdrawn from service and is being stored at Edgeworth.
Swift

Post by Swift »

So they are an all low entry fleet?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

There's reportedly a Volvo B10B CB60 showing up for Hunter Valley Buses south on a school route (6409) this afternoon, possible Hillsbus transfer and or one plucked from Edgeworth possibly?

Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:59 pm There's reportedly a Volvo B10B CB60 showing up for Hunter Valley Buses south on a school route (6409) this afternoon, possible Hillsbus transfer and or one plucked from Edgeworth possibly?

Could only possibly be one of the 5 sent up there back in March. Haven’t seen anything abnormal today but will keep an eye out. Let me know if you see it on an AM run. Could even be one of the new B8RLE Volvos

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”