Post by boronia »

Nice seats though
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Re: Bus Observations 2023

Post by alleve »

tonyp wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:47 am Labor chooses a Chinese bus as its official election bus!

Look at those stairs. Promoted as a western Sydney (bodied) bus when there's a local western Sydney manufacturer who can design better than this, without Chinese components.
What is it? A BYD Gemilang?

I would assume Custom Denning is too busy with Transit Systems' order to be building buses for Labor
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:38 am Nice seats though
Consolation prize for when they don't win them in Parliament.
alleve wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 am What is it? A BYD Gemilang?
Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that. I assumed everybody would recognise it from the stairs! On the other hand, it could as well be a King Long, Yutong etc.

The joke is that in Minns' social media he constantly promotes a key platform of having buses etc built locally, but every time he poses for a photo in front of an electric bus it's a Chinese one. His researchers are letting him down.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

From Minns' Facebook page:
Stephen Bali MP:
NSW Labor Leader Chris Minns, Jo Haylen, Anoulack Chanthivong and I were at Nexport who manufacture electric buses here in Glendenning- Western Sydney!
Buses have 300 km range and fast recharge time.
Time for State Government to buy local buses to support jobs, technology, better wages and opportunity for traineeships.
Thanks Chris for launching local bus manufacturing campaign!
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

"Time for State Government to buy local buses" ...

With a statement like this, you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd been buying 100% foreign buses for the last how many decades?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 pm "Time for State Government to buy local buses" ...

With a statement like this, you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd been buying 100% foreign buses for the last how many decades?
Well there is that ongoing dichotomy that we've been buying foreign chassis and powertrains since biblical times but have bodied locally also for generations. What is a bus? The chassis/powertrain or the body? It's a bit of both. I would say that truly buying locally means an integral bus with as much as possible of the content being local. The closest we get to that is the integral chassis and body, like the CD Element. If CD does what they say they are planning to do - make motors, batteries and other components here, then maybe we're heading towards a true local bus.

On a relative scale, the BYD Gemilang certainly doesn't make it as far up the ladder as a CD Element, or even a Bustech ZDi or an ARCC BEV (much as I dislike those designs). Next level in the political good books would be a Euro chassis like the Volvo BZL with a local body. Everything else is Chinese and the poorest political choice, even with a local body, which gives the photo posted above a particular irony unintended by its authors.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Benny95 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:10 am Just passed 5x Optimuses heading North on the M2 towards NorthConnex assuming heading for Volvo at Beresfield. No accreditation on any of them
Hey mate, got another update for you!

I spotted an TransportNSW Livered Optimus around 3:00 PM on the Hunter Expressway heading towards Singleton, had NOT IN SERVICE on the destination, yellow mirror on the left hand side and unfortunately devoid of Fleet Numbers or Bus Operator logo so this is definitely a new Optimus.

I was heading back from Singleton from a work shift on the expressway when I saw it so unfortunately don't have much more at hand I can provide on this, If it's going this far could Singleton be possibly due a bus I reckon?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:53 pm
Benny95 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:10 am Just passed 5x Optimuses heading North on the M2 towards NorthConnex assuming heading for Volvo at Beresfield. No accreditation on any of them
Hey mate, got another update for you!

I spotted an TransportNSW Livered Optimus around 3:00 PM on the Hunter Expressway heading towards Singleton, had NOT IN SERVICE on the destination, yellow mirror on the left hand side and unfortunately devoid of Fleet Numbers or Bus Operator logo so this is definitely a new Optimus.

I was heading back from Singleton from a work shift on the expressway when I saw it so unfortunately don't have much more at hand I can provide on this, If it's going this far could Singleton be possibly due a bus I reckon?
Unless they are getting rid of the 12.220 MAN’s or the 0405NH Mercs. I’m not sure what could make way. Could even be 3573 MO (the sole manual bus in the Singleton Fleet) that gets slid out of the way
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Both the O405NH's would be end of life however technically still could go on for another year or two as private charter / school buses, we've already seen examples of the O405NH's for Thornton Depot at least being moved to school specials only, I haven't seen one on revenue service in ages and in the likely event it does, it's because Thornton is short on drivers and has asked a school driver to commence a revenue route after finishing their respective school special.

Singo's a very regional depot and up until the arrival of the former Stationlink Optimuses, they really had nothing from the 2010 era, pretty much the Forgotten Depot as I like to call it, they should be surviving on the former stationlink Optimuses they have now but you never know if CDC also has plans to pretty much ensure a replacement is in place for when their older vehicles go.

Given the O405NH's would be turning 25/26 of age this year, I'm realistically thinking they'll be going when their registration is up for renewal or until a replacement bus is in place.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It's funny the things you see on Anytrip in the small hours. At the moment there's one single bus in the whole of country NSW with its transponder switched on, a QCity Transit Rosa shown as on time but off course, on a school run - parked up on a private lot in Bungandore, presumably ready for the school run in the morning.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:41 pm Last Thursday I noticed a Transdev region 10 school bus on route S262 operated by Taren Point depot, was tracked by both Tripview and Anytrip as being a Mercedes O405NH/Custom Coaches Citaro. I was most surprised to see this as I thought in Sydney such buses were only operated by the STA and operators who may have taken over some from them.

This route passes my front door and every other day this term, this trip has been operated by Transdev non accessible buses and I have captured photos of three of those but on the day concerned I was just too late to get a photo of it.
It is this https://www.flickr.com/photos/193972346 ... 747450797/
m/o 7384 Mercedes O405/Custom Coaches 510 obviously with a wrong transponder.
Living in the Shire.
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

noticed today, a busway Cb60 bus fire at Umina Central Coast.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/nationa ... s15w5vh0bg
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways 341 a new arrival at Penrith on potentially its first trip to Mount druitt on the 775. This has a slightly upgraded interior with higher seats and even has a primitive CCTV I havnt seen since Arriva Merseyside in the uk added to their aquired but now long withdrawn 1996 Scanias. This bus even has both sets of old busways logos in it's interior a real blast from the past.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

9844 MO out this morning on a test run within Thornton with local Depot Mechanics, this will be one of 4 new Volvo B8R Enduras on delivery for CDC Thornton.

N.B 9844 MO Has Thornton Depot Accreditation below the drivers side window.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:15 pm 9844 MO out this morning on a test run within Thornton with local Depot Mechanics, this will be one of 4 new Volvo B8R Enduras on delivery for CDC Thornton.

N.B 9844 MO Has Thornton Depot Accreditation below the drivers side window.
Hmm I wonder what buses might get squeezed out of Thornton…. Let’s see what there is…. 3546/47/57/74/75/76/77 4060, 4692, 4697, 7588, 7602, any one of the 80 seaters (2444, 3550/51), maybe one of the 12.220 MANs or even either one of two B6 Volvos however I do hope Singleton gets one of these B8R Enduras to squeeze the sole Manual Bus (3573) out of the Depot
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Those two remaining B6LE's you mentioned are probably on remaining time, as to why they've been retained for so long is beyond me. Older Volvo parts must be drying up which possibly explains why the B10B's & B10M's are becoming rarer even with private charter operators. I'd imagine this year is the year we'll see them go although I'd imagine the B8RLE Optimuses will be replacing the B6LE's, not the Enduras.

Keep an eye out for what get's sent to the graveyard over at Edgeworth, as I'd imagine various buses from other local CDC Depots will be turning up there.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:52 pm Those two remaining B6LE's you mentioned are probably on remaining time, as to why they've been retained for so long is beyond me. Older Volvo parts must be drying up which possibly explains why the B10B's & B10M's are becoming rarer even with private charter operators. I'd imagine this year is the year we'll see them go although I'd imagine the B8RLE Optimuses will be replacing the B6LE's, not the Enduras.

Keep an eye out for what get's sent to the graveyard over at Edgeworth, as I'd imagine various buses from other local CDC Depots will be turning up there.
I’m around that area quite regularly. (Drive Past 5 days a week at various time). I think it’ll be game of watch this space 👀👀
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Noel wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:20 pm
Linto63 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:16 pm This weekend's Eastern Suburbs line replacement is being operated by an assortment of buses and coaches from non TfNSW contracted operators from as far afield as Cessnock, Lithgow, Berrima and Wollongong. Not many low floors, certainly not the 80% reportedly normally required. Eastern Suburbs line replacements have historically always been operated by either State Transit and more recently Transdev with Opal machines activated. Sign of the times perhaps re driver shortages.
The ESR shutdown this weekend is operating under the Emergency Bussing contract, for which Rover hold the contract hence the lack of Opal machines and variety of vehicles and operators.
These routes are again being bus operated on Thursday night this week. The trip finder does show bus route 20T4 but still no timetables. Does anyone know who is operating the replacement routes on Thursday?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Transdev John Holland timetables turned up today for these routes.
Living in the Shire.
DavidSiefert

Post by DavidSiefert »

Wow, I'm glad to hear that the buses used for planned train replacement are mostly wheelchair accessible. It's great to see that the contracts between Sydney Trains and the bus operators have provisions for accessible buses, and it's good that this is being slowly implemented in the new GSBC contracts as well. Mb http://essaypapers.reviews/ can help you. Overall, it sounds like Sydney Trains is making a good effort to support disabled customers during trackwork.
Last edited by DavidSiefert on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

DavidSiefert wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:42 am Wow, I'm glad to hear that the buses used for planned train replacement are mostly wheelchair accessible. It's great to see that the contracts between Sydney Trains and the bus operators have provisions for accessible buses, and it's good that this is being slowly implemented in the new GSBC contracts as well. Overall, it sounds like Sydney Trains is making a good effort to support disabled customers during trackwork.
Aren't route buses the hardest to source because they're typically fully involved in commuter work? I presume that's why most replacement buses are coaches. I've never seen any accessible coaches here (are they exempt from the DDA, I've never checked?). The average coach is beyond me to climb into nowadays.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Sydney Trains have had existing standards for years, nothing new. Generally the timing of late night or weekend trackwork means that there are more buses available compared to other times.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Aurora wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:53 am Sydney Trains have had existing standards for years, nothing new. Generally the timing of late night or weekend trackwork means that there are more buses available compared to other times.
Having caught a Gong Shuttle bus from Kiama to Nowra at midnight I'm aware of that factor! The driver was apologising that all the junk left behind by the Wollongong riff raff hadn't been cleaned up yet.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One post moved to thread 92924 where this is also being discussed.
viewtopic.php?t=92924
Living in the Shire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

One of the ex sta Scanias in Nsw livery at Busways Penrith (Not ex region 9 B10BlES) seen on Great western highway in Kingswood are these entering service also?? Or are they withdrawn for good?

Also 321 and 324 seen on 779 the last 2 days normally a solid low floor route.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”