Bus Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Glen

Re: Bus Observations 2023

Post by Glen »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:23 pm
boronia wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:47 pm T-JH bus operating along the tram tracks around Kingsford - Kensington this morning on DRIVER TRAINING with a large number of "recruits" on board.
They must’ve been offered a good sign on bonus and let’s hope it works because I heard bad pay and conditions under the private operators is what’s driven so many to quit
What has changed with their pay and conditions?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Has the STA agreement been preserved into perpetuity, or do they only have to retain it until its expiry? I know the latter occurred in Darwin when DBS was wound up; a new agreement was rolled out, and after a time FairWork found it was reasonable for the operator of the day to cancel the old DBS agreement and roll staff onto the new one. Drivers lost all penalties (and weekday overtime/Sat rates decreased to 1.35x), in exchange for about a $5/hr raise. Didn't work out as good as it sounded.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I see that live tracking of buses on Anytrip has been extended across the state, in those towns that have been the beneficiaries of the recent service upgrades.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:11 pm Has the STA agreement been preserved into perpetuity, or do they only have to retain it until its expiry? I know the latter occurred in Darwin when DBS was wound up; a new agreement was rolled out, and after a time FairWork found it was reasonable for the operator of the day to cancel the old DBS agreement and roll staff onto the new one. Drivers lost all penalties (and weekday overtime/Sat rates decreased to 1.35x), in exchange for about a $5/hr raise. Didn't work out as good as it sounded.
IIRC, those drivers who transferred across were guaranteed RTBU conditions for 2 years.

Maybe someone involved can confirm this?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Never got around to mentioning it however prior to the DDA update that came into play January 1st 2023 there was discussion as to whether driver shortages would lead to High-Floor buses covering the routes without it being cancelled at the last minute.

Well last week I saw a Volvo B7R operating a 183 route to Rutherford in the afternoon which normally never happens outside of driver shortage so I presume we can put to rest this concern that revenue service routes would be cancelled if a low entry bus can't operate it.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Fleetlists have changed m/o3046 to m/o 3406
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:55 am Never got around to mentioning it however prior to the DDA update that came into play January 1st 2023 there was discussion as to whether driver shortages would lead to High-Floor buses covering the routes without it being cancelled at the last minute.

Well last week I saw a Volvo B7R operating a 183 route to Rutherford in the afternoon which normally never happens outside of driver shortage so I presume we can put to rest this concern that revenue service routes would be cancelled if a low entry bus can't operate it.
With the collapse of Scotts, there should be plenty of HCV drivers on the market at present.
boronia

Post by boronia »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:55 am Never got around to mentioning it however prior to the DDA update that came into play January 1st 2023 there was discussion as to whether driver shortages would lead to High-Floor buses covering the routes without it being cancelled at the last minute.

If there is a "driver shortage", how does this affect low floor buses but not high floor buses? Surely drivers would be qualified for both types?
@ The Museum of Fire.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

tonyp wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:17 pm

With the collapse of Scotts, there should be plenty of HCV drivers on the market at present.
But the question is will they go to bus operations, because trucking is always in demand so pretty sure trucking companies are licking their lips to grab who they can from scotts.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: With the collapse of Scotts, there should be plenty of HCV drivers on the market at present.
Many of whom will probably be snapped up by who ever takes on the Scotts work.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

boronia wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:33 pm If there is a "driver shortage", how does this affect low floor buses but not high floor buses? Surely drivers would be qualified for both types?
Likely because what low entry buses are already running are already on use on other revenue service routes or even school specials themselves.

School bus drivers with their high-floors despite whatever the DDA legislation now says can just easily pick up the routes without leading to cancellation albeit with a possible delay added but better than no bus at all.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

Drove past Edgeworth Depot today and noticed a number of B10BLE Volvos parked up there…..
Benny95

Post by Benny95 »

On another note, I’ve also noticed a couple of Coastal Liner Buses have CDC Charter slapped over the Coastal Liner Logo (7637 MO) and TV 878 are the only two I’ve seen so far
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways 899 on the 799 unusual to get one of these out west
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Spotted just yesterday in Albury is a Mercedes Optimus registered as 9822 MO on a 907 service. Been told it's owned by Martin's as their fleet #175
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

This weekend's Eastern Suburbs line replacement is being operated by an assortment of buses and coaches from non TfNSW contracted operators from as far afield as Cessnock, Lithgow, Berrima and Wollongong. Not many low floors, certainly not the 80% reportedly normally required. Eastern Suburbs line replacements have historically always been operated by either State Transit and more recently Transdev with Opal machines activated. Sign of the times perhaps re driver shortages.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I think an earlier post where it was reported that no buses had been ordered for last night, also applies to today where again no timetables have been issued. Transdev John Holland may again not have been advised and the buses seen have been a last minute arrangement.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Amongst all the reports on the trains problem on news tonight, was mention of a bus being involved in a fire at Marrickville.
@ The Museum of Fire.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Buslines Group now own Rover, so that is why other Buslines Group buses were noted on rail
Noel

Post by Noel »

Linto63 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:16 pm This weekend's Eastern Suburbs line replacement is being operated by an assortment of buses and coaches from non TfNSW contracted operators from as far afield as Cessnock, Lithgow, Berrima and Wollongong. Not many low floors, certainly not the 80% reportedly normally required. Eastern Suburbs line replacements have historically always been operated by either State Transit and more recently Transdev with Opal machines activated. Sign of the times perhaps re driver shortages.
The ESR shutdown this weekend is operating under the Emergency Bussing contract, for which Rover hold the contract hence the lack of Opal machines and variety of vehicles and operators.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That makes a lot of sense although I had not previously heard of the Emergency Bussing contract.

Timetables appear to have been prepared and are being used in the Trip Finder probably with region code 01 which is used for most replacement services. However the link pages for the timetables show that Opal Cards are accepted which requires that the region code for the operator concerned is used which would in this case be 30 for Transdev John Holland so the link pages would not be able to find the timetables.
eg Link page for 20T4 https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... uses/20t4/3020T-4

And I have found the 20T4 timetable as I suspected with 01 which will not work
https://transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/01-20T4-Bondi-Junction-Edgecliff-Kings-Cross-then-Central-and-return-20230311-20230312.pdf
And the url for the 23T4 timetable
https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 230312.pdf which also can be accessed as a timetable but again the region codes are different between the two
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have created archived copied of both timetables for historic purposes
https://web.archive.org/web/20230311103 ... 230312.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20230311103 ... 230312.pdf
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

For the third route 25T4 the link page does show 01 for the region code and hence it does work
https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... t4/0125T-4
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Labor chooses a Chinese bus as its official election bus!

Look at those stairs. Promoted as a western Sydney (bodied) bus when there's a local western Sydney manufacturer who can design better than this, without Chinese components.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Look at those stairs.
I wonder if anybody who attempts to climb them is awarded a Bravery Medal, they look very challenging. :wink:

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”