Bus Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: Bus Observations 2023

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote: What is a GSBC?
Greater Sydney Bus Contracts, i.e. the regional contracts. If the rail contracts are being transitioned to the regional operators, is happening slowly, don't think Busways have operated any yet a year after taking over region 7 unless the T1 replacements are to form part of CDC’s region 14 contract.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thanks - yes I agree - the conversion of the rail contracts to be included in the regional contracts, is happening very slowly - have only seen them in Newcastle and some operated by Hillsbus.
It might be worth recording any others which have been seen.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Gusbus wrote: The contracts between Sydney Trains and the bus operators directly already have a provision requiring 80% of buses used on planned trackwork to be wheelchair accessible, this has been in place since the last round were awarded years ago.
May be the case for metropolitan or localised replacements, but seemingly not to longer distance services where coaches are used. Apart from those used on scheduled services, few have been built with with wheelchair lifts. It's no coincidence coaches that formerly operated NSW TrainLink, V/Line and Transwa services can regularly be seen stabled strategically as standbys should a passenger requiring a wheelchair lift appear.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Who looks after the Volvo tow truck ex OPS100 now? Where it is based?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ TfNSW TMC. Call sign is now Alpha 100 and it continues to reside at ‘Old’ Leichhardt Depot.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Fleet Lists wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:48 am Thanks - yes I agree - the conversion of the rail contracts to be included in the regional contracts, is happening very slowly - have only seen them in Newcastle and some operated by Hillsbus.
It might be worth recording any others which have been seen.
Punchbowl Bus Co. currently have the rail contracts for T2, T3 & T4. Once the new operators commerce’s operation of regions 5 & 10 together, the T4 rail would make sense as this rail line is predominantly in region 10 from Hurstville to the ‘Shire’.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

boronia wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 pm Who looks after the Volvo tow truck ex OPS100 now? Where it is based?
How many of the Bus Tow trucks are there?

I have a photo of an NSW state Government incident response truck registered CT035 which is a custom specified Volvo FM of some sorts but I'm not sure if this is what your referring too however looks like it can haul a broken down bus?

I've always spontaneously seen them randomly appear out of the blue for no reason, there was one that appeared at Wynyard shortly before 9:30 AM on Tuesday but I didn't get it's number and didn't exactly look like any buses had broken down at the time for it to be where it was.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The white Volvo has been around for several years now. It is a 2013 FM13. It was built for the STA and identified as OPS-100, I think based at Leichhardt. It now seems to be coded ALPHA-100.
It is usually sent into the CBD during peak hours. Sometimes parked at Wynyard, sometimes at Lee St, maybe elsewhere.
DSC09770 (Small).jpeg
DSC09770 (Small).jpeg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I am wondering why the Custom Denning Element, which is a 43 seat bus, is shown in Fleetlists as a 43 seater in region 9, but as a 47 seater (suggesting no centre door) with Busways and Transport Canberra. For certain, the Busways buses have a centre door. Just a simple error?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The number of seats fitted is not fixed by the manufacturer, with extra seats able to be squeezed in at the expense of some legroom.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

tonyp wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:30 am I am wondering why the Custom Denning Element, which is a 43 seat bus, is shown in Fleetlists as a 43 seater in region 9, but as a 47 seater (suggesting no centre door) with Busways and Transport Canberra. For certain, the Busways buses have a centre door. Just a simple error?
In cases like that the seating capacity is a spec preference set by the operator which is something that the Custom Denning can't control unless Transport For NSW sets a universal network wide seating capacity for buses
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:07 am In cases like that the seating capacity is a spec preference set by the operator which is something that the Custom Denning can't control unless Transport For NSW sets a universal network wide seating capacity for buses
It wouldn't be possible to increase the seating capacity in a two-door Element. I would think though that 47 seats would be possible if the centre door is deleted. However, the Busways buses have two doors. I assume the Canberra ones will too, but who knows what's in the offing?
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Routes 155, 156 and 182 appear to only be operating a handful of trips today according to Tripview and Anytrip, although the PDF timetables suggest these routes should be operating at 30-60 minute headways all day on a Sunday, which they were still doing a month ago.

The last inbound 156 from McCarrs Creek for the day at 8:24am was 15.5 hours earlier than it normally is, if the information stated is correct.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

tonyp wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:49 am
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:07 am In cases like that the seating capacity is a spec preference set by the operator which is something that the Custom Denning can't control unless Transport For NSW sets a universal network wide seating capacity for buses
It wouldn't be possible to increase the seating capacity in a two-door Element. I would think though that 47 seats would be possible if the centre door is deleted. However, the Busways buses have two doors. I assume the Canberra ones will too, but who knows what's in the offing?
The STA spec CD Elements would have that baggage area behind the driver which deletes the seat behind the driver which takes the seating capacity down to 45 then another seat gets deleted which leaves the STA spec CD Elements with 43 seats where those two seats that the STA delete are on the Busways and Canberra spec ones which adds 4 extra places to the overall seating capacity
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:34 am The STA spec CD Elements would have that baggage area behind the driver which deletes the seat behind the driver which takes the seating capacity down to 45 then another seat gets deleted which leaves the STA spec CD Elements with 43 seats where those two seats that the STA delete are on the Busways and Canberra spec ones which adds 4 extra places to the overall seating capacity
This standard layout plan of the Element seems to contradict that explanation.

https://www.custombus.com.au/wp-content ... ochure.pdf
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: It wouldn't be possible to increase the seating capacity in a two-door Element.
Rubbish. Aside from the constraints made by physical impediments; doors, wheel arches etc, there is no reason that seats could not be configured differently bringing about an increase in capacity. Or perhaps there are varying wheelbase lengths even if not stated in the catalogue.

I did catch one of Busways about a month ago and did notice that the legroom was a bit tight, but I was in the seat behind the rear door which often has a bit less room in other buses.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

BroadGauge wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:53 am Routes 155, 156 and 182 appear to only be operating a handful of trips today according to Tripview and Anytrip, although the PDF timetables suggest these routes should be operating at 30-60 minute headways all day on a Sunday, which they were still doing a month ago.

The last inbound 156 from McCarrs Creek for the day at 8:24am was 15.5 hours earlier than it normally is, if the information stated is correct.
The first outbound 156 also listed for 15:02 departure at Mona Vale. AnyTrip showing no vehicles live at the moment.

The rest of the week appears to show the regular timetable, so it appears they’ve cut services for the one day. No news that I can see.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Busways have fleet number 733 Renault advertised on Gumtree Id1306440455,would that be a first time they have used Gumtree?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Busways has had its oldest Scania L113s out in region 7 this week which IIRC are not DDA compliant by not having ramps.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Took photos today of two identical Volvo/Marcopolo coaches in Miranda TV 9259 and TV 8797 - not present in fleet lists.
Accreditation appears to be K X Li 37243 Banksmeadow.
Does anyone know of this operator?

Will link to photos when uploaded to FlickR.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Probably just another Chinese national preparing to cash in the inbound tourist market now they are free to travel?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Surprisingly both coaches dropped of a lot children who would not have been older than 10 years.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Reported on Ch 9 news tonight that KST is operating a school holiday service from Mt Druitt to eastern beaches, Bondi or Parsely Bay.

No mention on their website about it, presumably being promoted locally.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Often funded by the local council, saw a similar service being promoted in Bankstown recently.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”