Trailerbus

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
eddy

Re: Trailerbus

Post by eddy »

As there has been over 7,000 views if anyone is building it i would love to check it out.
Please contact me at mistereddb@gmail.com
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
eddy

Post by eddy »

The good thing about Australia is the many rules that keep you safe although sometimes it is so difficult to innovate it is easier to buy the same old, same old, off the shelf.

Maybe someone who can see great potential with the Trailerbus might try to build one in Australia but it may overwhelm them having to comply with the rules I was emailed today by the NSW transport department.

Easy to google up these rules.
ADR 58/00
ADR 59/00
ADR 68/00
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
eddy

Post by eddy »

Australia has great step deck trailer manufactures like Vawdrey who know how to make a compliant trailer and all the prime movers makers know what is compliant so it only needs an Australian bus maker to build a compliant double deck bus body on the step deck trailer and with a bit of blue sky thinking from the Heavy Vehicle National Law where they have excelled with Performance Based Standards the Trailerbus may become a reality.

The Trailerbus would be great for Sydney to Tamworth etc. also with 150 passengers, bikes and mobility scooters it would be safer with the motor at the front like when VW made their cars with the motor in the front perhaps eliminating the need for the XPT on some runs with increased frequency while giving freight trains a clear run.
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

I would prefer to travel on an XPT train than on a trailerbus.
eddy

Post by eddy »

hugh45 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:16 am I would prefer to travel on an XPT train than on a trailerbus.
What made me think about it was recently at Guyra I noticed a bus stop at the end of town and was surprised that a bus went to so many small towns.

I know it would be more frequent but it would have the advantage of freeing up the rail for freight trains but I still think it is safer and cheaper than a bus that has no demand for when it is half worn out like a single axle prime mover.
eddy

Post by eddy »

This guy prefers the bus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0E1x4TpUU to the XPT
eddy

Post by eddy »

This guy thinks the bus is better than the XPT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0E1x4TpUU

A double deck trailerbus can have twice the number of big seats and do it for half the price of a rigid bus that has no resale value at 500,00 kilometres needing no subsidy with only one driver and still beat the XPT that goes around the world having to slow down at many level crossings.
eddy

Post by eddy »

This is the ideal single axle cabover prime mover for the Trailerbus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxOb9LPPxk

Actually the sleeper would be good for a big layover between split shifts where you have to hang about for a few hours.
eddy

Post by eddy »

To trial the Trailerbus properly there needs to be 1,000 of them and 1,000 prime movers with a 1 minute frequency on the northern beaches to Mascot route all together it would cost $500m and this would solve the last mile with fast Trailerbuses that stay on signposted roads with bikes, electric bikes, mobility scooters and strollers having the whole of the default 30km/h backroads.

I know there is a shortage of drivers but with kids riding their bikes on safe roads to the Trailerbus the reduntant schoolbus drivers can upgrade their licence to a semitrailer licence.

Unless there is an order for 1,000 nobody will ever build one and it costs about $500m for a station and Kristina lost $500m when she was the boss https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/dum ... -qjst.html
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Surely this has gotten to the point of relegation to the fantasy section?
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
eddy

Post by eddy »

1whoknows wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:55 am Surely this has gotten to the point of relegation to the fantasy section?
Maybe a I minute frequency is a tad too much but without 1,000 ordered no manufacturer would even think about building them and unless there are sufficient to trial default safe 30km/h backroads that enable people to maintain 2m clearance when passing including cars in conjunction with many Trailerbuses it would not be a fair trial.

Most people believe urban sprawl is the reason we have so many gridlocked roads but if people have the opportunity to ride to a Trailerbus to go across town it would remove many cars allowing free flowing traffic.

I am interested in why you think it is a fantasy mate?
PG1

Post by PG1 »

Eddy,

Commitment
I acknowledge your tenacity to your desire for electric scooters (etc) and the Trailerbus, and do pass on some comments.

Electric scooters on public roads

No.
In my view that one-person stand-up electric scooters are currently a menace and an exorbitant increase will lead to increase likelihood *(and probability) of accidents.
Riders – in my view – now seem to have no comprehension of basic road rules, respect for or courtesy to other road users or pedestrians.

Scooters for mobility issues

Users of ride-on (rather that stand up) electric scooters of the type used by persons of limited mobility are generally well behaved and respectful of their environment, and continued and improved access for them on public transport must continue.
I do, however, make it a personal endeavour to deliberately thwart their movements if they are (for example) not respectful or display a lack of courtesy to others (particular in shopping centre environments).

Bikes to school
I have lived 200 metres from a public school for over 30 years.
The school now has over 1200 students.
I have yet to see one child ride to/from.
Whilst I appreciate and perhaps somewhat do value your recommendation of the 30kmh zone for “backstreets”, what is a backstreet?
Who defines and signposts these?
Some backstreets may actually be current “School Zone” areas.
How is the differential between different speeds to be accommodated – example: the backstreet is 30kmh but at 2.30pm it increases to 40kmh when more people are using it?
It would be implausible to think that any authority would allow for a mixed message of school zone speed limits for the same school.
It is difficult enough for some drivers to comprehend/cope with different school zone times - the typical is 8am-9.30 and 2.30-4pm, however some school zones in the Sydney metropolitan area are different (an example: 7-8:30am and 12.30-2.00pm).
I note that the school zones in the suburb of Manly are 30kmh so perhaps this is some encouragement.

Trailerbus
Your comments about 1000 units absolutely astounded me for a number of reasons;

1. Where will they be parked when not in use ?
The absolute size of the depot (and to use your example of Narrabeen to Mascot {I assume you mean Sydney Airport}) will be enormous.
I appreciate that in all likelihood two Depots [one at either end of the trip] would be required.
The land area, meal room, staff facilities and maintenance areas would consume a very large area.
Perhaps we could have double deck bus storage and maintenance areas?
If electric, will the local power support/grid be sufficient?

2. The distance from Narrabeen to Mascot is approximately 30km.
Is there a need for 500 buses south and 500 buses north each day on a minute wait schedule?
I note your recent comment about a less frequent schedule, but even a 5 minute schedule needs examination.

3. Each and every bus stop/zone will have to be increased in length to accommodate the approximately 19m length of your Trailerbus.
It is not just the 19m that needs to be accommodated but the entry direction for a long vehicle needs to be sufficient to ensure that the whole of the bus is parallel to the kerb (and not have its tail “hang-out” obstructing the next lane) when stopped to allow entry/exit at level from the bus to the pavement rather than step down to the road, then step over the kerb onto the pavement.
A probable length of about 30 metres per bus zone would be required, a length that will send some local councils into parking meltdown.
Layover areas would be, in my view very lengthy.
If each bus is one minute apart coupled with an approximately layover period for the driver to rest of (say) 6 minutes you may have to accommodate 4 – 5 buses in the layover area simultaneously. Of course this accommodation may be reduced if the schedule is say 5 minutes rather than 1 minute.

Helmets
Do I recall correctly that you mention that scooters riders could forego the use of helmets.
Doesn’t this fly in the face of all education and safety programmes and initiatives that we currently have?

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

PG1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:37 pm Trailerbus

The absolute size of the depot (and to use your example of Narrabeen to Mascot {I assume you mean Sydney Airport}) will be enormous.
I appreciate that in all likelihood two Depots [one at either end of the trip] would be required.
The land area, meal room, staff facilities and maintenance areas would consume a very large area.

Is there a need for 500 buses south and 500 buses north each day on a minute wait schedule?
I note your recent comment about a less frequent schedule, but even a 5 minute schedule needs examination.

3. Each and every bus stop/zone will have to be increased in length to accommodate the approximately 19m length of your Trailerbus.
It is not just the 19m that needs to be accommodated but the entry direction for a long vehicle needs to be sufficient to ensure that the whole of the bus is parallel to the kerb (and not have its tail “hang-out” obstructing the next lane) when stopped to allow entry/exit at level from the bus to the pavement rather than step down to the road, then step over the kerb onto the pavement.
A probable length of about 30 metres per bus zone would be required, a length that will send some local councils into parking meltdown.
If each bus is one minute apart coupled with an approximately layover period for the driver to rest of (say) 6 minutes you may have to accommodate 4 – 5 buses in the layover area simultaneously. Of course this accommodation may be reduced if the schedule is say 5 minutes rather than 1 minute.
This whole idea would work around keeping these trailer buses restricted to arterial roads
eddy

Post by eddy »

PG1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:37 pm Eddy,

Commitment
I acknowledge your tenacity to your desire for electric scooters (etc) and the Trailerbus, and do pass on some comments.

No.
In my view that one-person stand-up electric scooters are currently a menace and an exorbitant increase will lead to increase likelihood *(and probability) of accidents.
Riders – in my view – now seem to have no comprehension of basic road rules, respect for or courtesy to other road users or pedestrians.

Scooters for mobility issues

Users of ride-on (rather that stand up) electric scooters of the type used by persons of limited mobility are generally well behaved and respectful of their environment, and continued and improved access for them on public transport must continue.
I do, however, make it a personal endeavour to deliberately thwart their movements if they are (for example) not respectful or display a lack of courtesy to others (particular in shopping centre environments).

Bikes to school
I have lived 200 metres from a public school for over 30 years.
The school now has over 1200 students.
I have yet to see one child ride to/from.
Whilst I appreciate and perhaps somewhat do value your recommendation of the 30kmh zone for “backstreets”, what is a backstreet?
Who defines and signposts these?
Some backstreets may actually be current “School Zone” areas.
How is the differential between different speeds to be accommodated – example: the backstreet is 30kmh but at 2.30pm it increases to 40kmh when more people are using it?
It would be implausible to think that any authority would allow for a mixed message of school zone speed limits for the same school.
It is difficult enough for some drivers to comprehend/cope with different school zone times - the typical is 8am-9.30 and 2.30-4pm, however some school zones in the Sydney metropolitan area are different (an example: 7-8:30am and 12.30-2.00pm).
I note that the school zones in the suburb of Manly are 30kmh so perhaps this is some encouragement.

Trailerbus

Helmets
Do I recall correctly that you mention that scooters riders could forego the use of helmets.
Doesn’t this fly in the face of all education and safety programmes and initiatives that we currently have?

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
I thank you greatly for your comments.

Opinion is divided on if bikes are more dangerous than electric scooters and many riders have not a clue on road rules but if they overtake with 2m clearance on a safe 30 km/h backroad perhaps there would not be as many accidents particularly as they are used to their own scooter.

Mobility scooters
Once again you have a mix of a few people who should not drive them and they will have to go in a nursing home or catch a taxi everywhere but for the majority it would be great to get down to a Trailerbus stop and take it with them for use at the other end but keeping in mind the 2m distance rule even in shops.

Bikes to school.
I know when they made helmets compulsory many people stopped riding or perhaps the roads are too dangerous but I think both.
In Canberra if there are no street signs then it is default 50 km/h and the same thing could be easily done in parts of Sydney that love their kids more than their cars for 30 km/h and would not mind waiting the extra minute to get to a signposted street and while waiting to return a truck I noticed cars were going too fast to safely ride on Smeaton grange road only to get stuck in traffic on Narellan road due to too many cars.
All default safe backstreets would always be 30 km/h only the signposted streets would be reduced to whatever whenever.

Trailerbus.
There are many people looking at it but all sitting on the fence but if the NSW government ordered 1,000 them bus, trailer and truck makers perhaps may think it worthwhile to build them to comply with the many regulations regarding a bus.
Parking them may be a bit harder because they are 19 metres where a rigid is only 12.5 metres but do not forget that with the extra capacity there would not be so many of them.
It would not be up to me to decide because while the diesel may be cheaper there are so many wheels you can use a lead acid battery charging overnight.
If the Trailerbuses are 5 minutes apart at an average speed of 30 km/h we would only need 60 on that route however without the 1,000 order manufacturers may think it is not worth the hassle.
Maybe they could go as far as Wollongong or even go interstate as the are so much safer with the motor at the front.

Helmets.
The safest country in the world does not require helmets on conventional bikes but I think electric scooters are dangerous if you do not know how to ride one properly and I would avoid one.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Many years ago, there was direct bus service from Dee Why to the airport. It didn't get a lot of patronage, and didn't last too long.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

boronia wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:42 pm Many years ago, there was direct bus service from Dee Why to the airport. It didn't get a lot of patronage, and didn't last too long.
Interesting.

Around what year would that have been , what was the frequency, did it go around the backstreets and what was the traffic like then.
Campbelltown busboy

How would these trailer buses work around councils for council maintained suburban thoroughfares. It would be easier to run trailer buses the network of state maintained arterial roads then on a suburban thoroughfare
eddy

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:29 pm How would these trailer buses work around councils for council maintained suburban thoroughfares. It would be easier to run trailer buses the network of state maintained arterial roads then on a suburban thoroughfare
The only trouble on using a toll road is you cannot stop so I imagine something like Parramatta road and as it is only the legal limit of 4.3 m high it can go anwhere there is not a sign like low bridge or 3t limit etc.
Campbelltown busboy

eddy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:54 pm
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:29 pm How would these trailer buses work around councils for council maintained suburban thoroughfares. It would be easier to run trailer buses the network of state maintained arterial roads then on a suburban thoroughfare
The only trouble on using a toll road is you cannot stop so I imagine something like Parramatta road and as it is only the legal limit of 4.3 m high it can go anwhere there is not a sign like low bridge or 3t limit etc.
The trailer bus idea might work in one of these 20 minute neighbourhoods that the globalist elites that want a single global entity to govern the whole world could be talking about
eddy

Post by eddy »

Actually many people do not like being in a 15 minute area and want to go across town and as it is safer with the engine at the front it not only can be used to go across town but interstate.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

eddy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:56 pm
boronia wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:42 pm Many years ago, there was direct bus service from Dee Why to the airport. It didn't get a lot of patronage, and didn't last too long.
Interesting.

Around what year would that have been , what was the frequency, did it go around the backstreets and what was the traffic like then.
From memory it was 100. Operated along Pittwater Rd, Military Rd, Central and through the industrial parts of Alexandria and Mascot. Operated around 1995-2001.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

boronia wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:27 pm
eddy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:56 pm

Interesting.

From memory it was 100. Operated along Pittwater Rd, Military Rd, Central and through the industrial parts of Alexandria and Mascot. Operated around 1995-2001.
Thanks mate
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Boronia is correct
eddy

Post by eddy »

LB608 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:40 pm Boronia is correct
As we need one for each other and one for the country urban sprawl is not a bad thing if people leave their car at home and bike to the nearest Trailerbus stop and now with electric bikes it is so easy and cheap.

The big problem in the past was you cannot get bikes, mobility scooters and strollers with children in them on a conventional bus so once you get in the car at a time that is convenient you may as well keep driving.
Campbelltown busboy

eddy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:38 am
LB608 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:40 pm Boronia is correct
As we need one for each other and one for the country urban sprawl is not a bad thing if people leave their car at home and bike to the nearest Trailerbus stop and now with electric bikes it is so easy and cheap.

The big problem in the past was you cannot get bikes, mobility scooters and strollers with children in them on a conventional bus so once you get in the car at a time that is convenient you may as well keep driving.
How would this work in parts of western Sydney where most of the routes don't run on or anywhere near a arterial road

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”