2023 NSW Election

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
eddy

Re: 2023 NSW Election

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:12 pm
eddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm

Most people in Holland learn to ride at 4 years old and it is the safest place in the world even though they do not wear hats because they use it as a form of transport sitting up straight going slow.

Electric assist bikes that can easily take a person to the nearest station in a 30 km/h safe street will be very popular to own one and charge it at home.

They are going to replace even electric cars in the future because they take less room, cost less and do less damage to the road.

For those who cannot ride they use a mobility scooter.
That idea will cause the obesity rate to skyrocket if everyone is riding everywhere
I believe the NSW current law says that only electric assist bikes can be ridden on the road without a licence and any that can go faster than 25 km/h needs a licence so kids will still have to pedal especially if they are going to a station uphill so I think they will be fitter.

Ultimatly it will be up to the voters if either side is game to float the idea but there will be a huge car lobby against it while home owners would love a quiet street that their kids can ride a conventional cheap bike to school or sport in safety for exercise rather than mum having to drive them everywhere.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Holland is also flat as a turd and the cycling environmentis the polar opposite of hilly Sydney. Also its not so safe if you are a pedestrian, (saw 3 people hit by bikes in the week I was there). Someone your age Eddy will be hospitalised for the rest of your life if hit by an electric scooter hoon, even at 30kmh.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
eddy

Post by eddy »

1whoknows wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:22 am Holland is also flat as a turd and the cycling environmentis the polar opposite of hilly Sydney. Also its not so safe if you are a pedestrian, (saw 3 people hit by bikes in the week I was there). Someone your age Eddy will be hospitalised for the rest of your life if hit by an electric scooter hoon, even at 30kmh.
Now there are many electric assisted bikes on the market it makes Sydney just as easy as Holland especially if you want to go further to a station.

Shared paths are a joke and that is why I suggest using the whole safe backroad where everyone has to give a 2m gap when overtaking.

It all depends on how car drivers can accept spending an extra minute.

I appreciate any feedback as it will give either party an indication of how NSW voters feel.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Eddy, I still feel you're misguided about the success of the Dutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMJaMy-0ChA
The video above showcases the segregated bicycle network of Amsterdam. Their success is not all from slow streets, but mostly from good infrastructure. You cannot beat, nor get anywhere close to this by just reducing street speed limits.

This video by the same channel is about traffic calming, which helps drivers actually drive at 30 on a 30 street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxRYrpbnuA

I don't understand your gripes with shared paths either. Shared paths along roadways; I can understand due to how narrow they are, but shared paths segregated from roads are much wider and easier to travel on.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Randomness wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:37 pm Eddy, I still feel you're misguided about the success of the Dutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMJaMy-0ChA
The video above showcases the segregated bicycle network of Amsterdam. Their success is not all from slow streets, but mostly from good infrastructure. You cannot beat, nor get anywhere close to this by just reducing street speed limits.

This video by the same channel is about traffic calming, which helps drivers actually drive at 30 on a 30 street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxRYrpbnuA

I don't understand your gripes with shared paths either. Shared paths along roadways; I can understand due to how narrow they are, but shared paths segregated from roads are much wider and easier to travel on.
Thanks for the videos in the end it is all about money and we already have many roads that can be default to 30 km/h.

It may be easier to fine car drivers for going too fast rather than bike riders without a hat.

Regarding traffic calming I think apart from pedestrian islands mobile speed cameras will eliminate hoons.

But that is just my opinion as a slow bike rider and pedestrian that has nearly been hit many times on a shared path.

Also I would prefer people to have their own E bike to charge at home rather than hire scooters laying around the footpath.
eddy

Post by eddy »

This is a very interesting video for safe roads allowing everybody to keep two metres away from others but others may have to move. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesRAx3H8vQ&t=27s

John 21.18 “Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

What will interest me in the upcoming election is the reliability of existing bus and train services. I do not consider any change is needed for electric bikes.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Having spent some time in Amsterdam, you have to keep your wits about you as a pedestrian, if you dare step in the path of a cyclist. At best you could be abused or at worst suffer serious injury. This is something I learnt very quickly.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Transtopic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:54 pm Having spent some time in Amsterdam, you have to keep your wits about you as a pedestrian, if you dare step in the path of a cyclist. At best you could be abused or at worst suffer serious injury. This is something I learnt very quickly.
Cyclists are very dangerous for pedestrians. That's why the idea of shared paths is not a good one and it starts to build up the cost when you build separate foot and cycle ways.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

1whoknows wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:22 amHolland is also flat as a turd and the cycling environmentis the polar opposite of hilly Sydney. Also its not so safe if you are a pedestrian, (saw 3 people hit by bikes in the week I was there). Someone your age Eddy will be hospitalised for the rest of your life if hit by an electric scooter hoon, even at 30kmh.
Not to mention Holland is also a much smaller nation... Greater Sydney covers an area equivalent to about three-tenths of Holland, and is 19.47x the size of Amsterdam. So on top of better infrastructure, I imagine people in Amsterdam (or Holland in general) travel much shorter distances each day than those in the Greater Sydney region.
WorldData.info wrote:The land has a total area of 41,543 km² (16,040 mi²) and a total coastline of 451 km (280.2 mi). This land area is approximately 165% of the area of Maryland.
Encyclopaedia Brittanica wrote:Amsterdam, national capital, Netherlands...
area, 245 square miles (635 square km).
City of Sydney wrote:Greater Sydney covers 12,368.2sq km and is made up of 35 local councils.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Transtopic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:54 pm Having spent some time in Amsterdam, you have to keep your wits about you as a pedestrian, if you dare step in the path of a cyclist. At best you could be abused or at worst suffer serious injury. This is something I learnt very quickly.
In Copenhagen I recall they whistle between you and the bus you are about to step on to (or off).

And they go so fast. Oh to be that fit!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There's a whole subject in the way cyclists treat pedestrians. It could be titled Hypocrisy. Cyclists complain bitterly about the way they're treated by vehicle drivers (often quite legitimately), yet they don't treat pedestrians with the consideration they expect from vehicle drivers. Mixed paths and environments simply don't work, they're too dangerous. Pedestrians do get killed and injured by cyclists. I've lived in Amsterdam and visited Copenhagen. They're dangerous places for pedestrians, not the urban nirvanas portrayed by idealistic town planners.
eddy

Post by eddy »

I thank everyone for the feedback so now planners know how most people think with the coming NSW election that shared paths are a joke, people need a two metre gap when overtaking even in shopping centres, some people are incapable of using an electric mobile scooter and slow backroads are already there and it only takes car drivers to spend one minute more for everybody to be safe.

Regards greater Sydney being so much bigger than Amsterdam, with electric assisted bikes and an extra single deck carriage on trains anybody can go anywhere at anytime.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

eddy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:06 am I thank everyone for the feedback so now planners know how most people think with the coming NSW election that shared paths are a joke, people need a two metre gap when overtaking even in shopping centres, some people are incapable of using an electric mobile scooter and slow backroads are already there and it only takes car drivers to spend one minute more for everybody to be safe.

Regards greater Sydney being so much bigger than Amsterdam, with electric assisted bikes and an extra single deck carriage on trains anybody can go anywhere at anytime.
Your ultimate dream would be people riding e bikes or catching trailerbuses into the Parrahub where they can catch a double deck train with a mobility friendly single deck carriage
eddy

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:20 pm
eddy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:06 am I thank everyone for the feedback so now planners know how most people think with the coming NSW election that shared paths are a joke, people need a two metre gap when overtaking even in shopping centres, some people are incapable of using an electric mobile scooter and slow backroads are already there and it only takes car drivers to spend one minute more for everybody to be safe.

Your ultimate dream would be people riding e bikes or catching trailerbuses into the Parrahub where they can catch a double deck train with a mobility friendly single deck carriage
As I am 77 I doubt if I will see any of my ideas even start and it will be for the majority in NSW to decide if there is merit in any of them and like you say they are all interconnected.

As there are already back roads with plenty of room to overtake we should use them for people and cars.

Electric assisted bikes give a far greater range than before.

Some people need to take their bike with them and the DD trains need an single deck carriage for this.

Eventually we may not be competent to use a mobility scooter and must live somewhere that has all the services.

I prefer to work with guys and I guess the reverse is true so perhaps Parrahub can be built with all women.

Parrahub would connect Newcastle, Wollongong and Lithgow with fast straight tunnels.

The economical 700 km/h SC maglev connecting Sydney, Canberra, Albury to Melbourne is due to the container train.

Parrahub would provide much needed parking with the 20,000 spaces.

There is no negatively ventilated buildings like Parrahub in Australia to put vulnerable people in.

Trailerbuses would work and it is worth a trial, cars made buses unprofitable so they eliminated the conductor.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Just seen the premier on TV say when at music festivals just don't take drugs.

I was borderline but I think I will vote for him.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

I'm sure all the people planning on doing drugs at music festivals will reconsider after hearing the Premier say that.

I'm not a betting man but if I was I would put my money on Minns this time around
eddy

Post by eddy »

alleve wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 pm I'm sure all the people planning on doing drugs at music festivals will reconsider after hearing the Premier say that.

I'm not a betting man but if I was I would put my money on Minns this time around
I cannot find where Minns stands on pill testing at music festivals however I think the Greens support it and that may be why they are generally off the planet.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

eddy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:45 pm
alleve wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 pm I'm sure all the people planning on doing drugs at music festivals will reconsider after hearing the Premier say that.

I cannot find where Minns stands on pill testing at music festivals however I think the Greens support it and that may be why they are generally off the planet.
The Greens support things that sound good to their supporters but never have any actual basis in reality, because the Greens are never in a position to be held accountable for the promises they make. Such is the nature of not being one of the major parties.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Still cannot find if Labor NSW wants pill testing for illegal pills but thought as they have more women in Labor than Liberals perhaps the Libs could start Parrahub with just women to get their votes as they would love to get into construction.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A little memory from the recent past that crossed my desk, now that Labor is talking buses again.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... dr6rm.html
eddy

Post by eddy »

tonyp wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 pm A little memory from the recent past that crossed my desk, now that Labor is talking buses again.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... dr6rm.html
That is with 48 people per bus but evidently in peak now the NWRL has capacity of 17,000 per hour with a train every 4 minutes and to match that capacity it would take about 110 trailerbuses with 150 passenger capacity.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

SMH has summarised key election promises from both parties re Transport and Infrastructure:
Coalition
Not privatise more government assets and instead go deeper into debt to fund new infrastructure projects
Spend $260 million to plan four new metro lines in Sydney's west
Spend $1 billion to upgrade regional roads
Fund stage two of Parramatta Light Rail project, at a cost of $600 million
Inject $500 million in funding to fix potholes
Reallocate road space on Parramatta and Victoria roads to prioritise buses, pedestrians and bike riders
Waive accreditation fees and subsidise training courses to combat bus driver shortage
Spend $1 billion to upgrade critical roads in western Sydney

Labor
$1.1 billion to fund road improvements in western Sydney and regional NSW
Build Tangara train replacements in NSW
Introduce a weekly $60 tolls cap, appoint former ACCC chair Allan Fels to overhaul the state's tolling network and return revenue from the Sydney Harbour Tunnel and Bridge in toll relief, reduce tolls for trucks and large vehicles, scrap administration fees on tolls for tag-less drivers
Abolish the controversial Transport Asset Holding Entity (TAHE)
Cancel Northern Beaches Link tunnel
Spend $994 million to upgrade train stations to reduce or eliminate steps for the elderly and those with a disability
Create industry taskforce to make recommendations to improve bus services
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

"Create industry taskforce to make recommendations to improve bus services"
Isn't that what TfNSW should already be doing in conjunction with their contractors, and other entities like local Government?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Of course. Just more red tape.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”