2023 NSW Election

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

2023 NSW Election

Post by lunchbox »

A search on "election" on this page reveals a lot of comments on current or recent events which might impact the 2023 election, but not much on what policy statements might be sought from the major parties, so here's the place to say what public transport policies might get votes in the 2023 NSW State Election. Hopefully, or deliberately, both major parties will see it.
I'll start with a couple -

TRANSPORT FOR NSW PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS.
The way TfNSW currently deals with the public is pathetic. Responses to enquiries are in "no-reply" emails from PR hacks expert at avoiding central issues. We need something resembling an update of Minister Peter Cox's Commuter Council, where operations people, or policy developers, met regularly with members of the public.

SELECTED ITEMS FROM THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY SEPTEMBER (?) 2022 BUS REPORT.
Specifically, extend the 339 to Circular Quay, and reinstate the 314.
Review a number of routes which now only "tangent" the CBD instead of penetrating it.

BUS STOPS - SIGHTLINES
Work with local government to progressively remove all obstructions (esp. advertising panels, some trees) which prevent clear sightlines between bus drivers and intending passengers.
Last edited by lunchbox on Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu

Re: 2023 NSW Election

Post by Stu »

What about the last election?…

https://brontenews.com.au/bronte-378-b ... einstated/

BRONTE NEWS
14/3/2019.

Bronte 378 Bus Direct to be Reinstated.

The 378 bus that directly links Bronte to Sydney’s CBD may soon be back in operation. Officials from both Labor and Liberal parties confirmed their intention to reinstate the service if their March 2019 election bid is successful.
According to the cause-oriented group Bring Back the 378 Bus, Labor Shadow Minister for Transport Jodi McKay MP has committed to restoring the service as part of her party’s bid to make public transport more accessible. Ms McKay has met with the group in the past to discuss their concerns about the 378 Bus Direct.

Bring Back the 378 Bus was organized to initially prevent the cancellation of the direct bus service. Made up of concerned locals from Bronte and nearby suburbs, the group has since launched fund-raisers and various campaigns to let the government know they will continue to oppose the cancellation.

In response, the Liberal Government through MP Bruce Notley-Smith also announced the introduction of a direct bus service from Bronte to the city. However, Mr Notley-Smith didn’t specifically mention if this would be bus 378 in his statement.

The NSW Transport Department cut off Bronte’s 378 bus in late 2017. Residents lodged a petition to oppose the decision, citing that removing 378 would inconvenience commuters, especially the children and the elderly, but the plan was still carried out despite the protest.

Without 378, Bronte residents have been forced to take North Bondi buses bound for Sydney CBD. Doing so, however, entailed changing buses or trains during their commute, which added an hour or so to their travel time.

On Thursday, the 14th of March, Bring Back the 378 Bus will hold a forum with the officials to discuss the public transport situation in the Eastern Suburbs. Residents may join in the Q&A forum to know the candidates’ stand on the reinstatement of the 378 bus direct, as well as the services for buses 361, 389, 327, and the Eastern Suburbs Light Rail.

NEWS.com.au 12/9/2018. (no pay wall)
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-a ... eb063a?amp

Daily Telegraph. 14/3/1019. (pay wall)
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subs ... our=append

Daily Telegraph. 25/10/1019. (pay wall)
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news ... e6eb0d?amp
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Always good for a laugh that one, how changing to a 333 or T4 at Bondi Junction "adds an hour to their travel time."
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

In Transit wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:56 pm Always good for a laugh that one, how changing to a 333 or T4 at Bondi Junction "adds an hour to their travel time."
Bronte resident interchanging from 378 to 333 bus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4v5S81-UQU
eddy

Post by eddy »

I said on railpage if they just suck it up until the NSW election Labor may get in but others have a different view.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

eddy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:23 pm I said on railpage if they just suck it up until the NSW election Labor may get in but others have a different view.
Attack ads of the line 'a vote for labour is a vote for unions controlling the state' could be quite effective.

I think that's why Labor is trying to stay out of the fight and letting the government take all the blows. They will want to be seen as the party for all the people, not the party for militant unions. But a small target strategy can backfire.

The NSW LNP is quite on the nose for a number of things, but voters are fickle.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Not many policy ideas as yet - 16 December, so I'll add another minor one......

5XX ROUTES.
Have some inbound 5XX buses turn left at Elizabeth Street and proceed to Circular Quay - say, one every 5 minutes. The tram does not effectively serve the eastern edge of the CBD.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

That is hardly a policy - its a minor operational decision. A policy would be "The Government I lead will employ 100 Daleks to enforce fare payments on public transport. Fare evaders will be exterminated".
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

lunchbox wrote: The tram does not effectively serve the eastern edge of the CBD.
But the dozens of buses that go down Elizabeth Street every hour do.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

^^^^.....except that there's a major hike for older people between transfer stops, and more than half of the Liz St services appear to terminate at Martin Place. It's a pain in the neck, and so unnecessary.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

A new election bait......
Retain all-over-advertising on buses (for the revenue it generates) but prohibit film covering the windows.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Won’t happen. We’ve had advertising on buses as is for the last 20+ years and not a single politician has shown an inkling of a damn about the inconvenience ads on windows cause!

It’s here to stay sadly. See the negative traction Clover Moores advertising billboards obstructing the footpath got? That’s what you’d need for change
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

lunchbox wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:44 am Not many policy ideas as yet - 16 December, so I'll add another minor one......

5XX ROUTES.
Have some inbound 5XX buses turn left at Elizabeth Street and proceed to Circular Quay - say, one every 5 minutes. The tram does not effectively serve the eastern edge of the CBD.
When the eastern suburbs buses ran along Elizabeth St, I don't recall complaints that they didn't serve the western edge of the CBD.

It's a lot further from Elizabeth St to, say Sussex or Kent St, than it is from George to Elizabeth.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

If either side decide on default 30 km/h safe backroads so people are not jammed on a shared path allowing people to have their own electric assisted bike I think would attract votes.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

No point lowering speed if it’s not enforced, there’d have to be loads spent on traffic calming measures like humps and road dividers. There’s already hoons going 80s in 40s, what would stop them doing that in 30s.

I’m not sure how popular it is generally, but some have been calling for a “return of the streets to people”. I think if you’re going to go through the trouble of lowering speeds, then you might as well do this while at it:

This involves signing streets into local traffic only zones which limits vehicles and encourages wider usage of the road as a shared space. It’s said that this’ll create a neighbourhood feel as the road can be used for recreational activities such as gatherings and sports.

With the culture in Sydney of not bothering anyone else though, I’m not convinced of the last point working but it’s worth a shot.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Randomness wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 pm No point lowering speed if it’s not enforced, there’d have to be loads spent on traffic calming measures like humps and road dividers. There’s already hoons going 80s in 40s, what would stop them doing that in 30s.

I’m not sure how popular it is generally, but some have been calling for a “return of the streets to people”. I think if you’re going to go through the trouble of lowering speeds, then you might as well do this while at it:

This involves signing streets into local traffic only zones which limits vehicles and encourages wider usage of the road as a shared space. It’s said that this’ll create a neighbourhood feel as the road can be used for recreational activities such as gatherings and sports.

With the culture in Sydney of not bothering anyone else though, I’m not convinced of the last point working but it’s worth a shot.
I lived at Orange when they reduced the speed limit to 50 km/h and after a while when I came to Wollongong it seems they were all crazy but my wife had been knocked over by a woman who hit her turning right so I am biased.

If it is the default unless signposted with mobile speed camera cars used until people get used to it in my opinion it will be the way of the future with many electric assisted bikes and far better than squeezing past people on shared tracks.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

eddy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:51 pm
Randomness wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 pm No point lowering speed if it’s not enforced, there’d have to be loads spent on traffic calming measures like humps and road dividers. There’s already hoons going 80s in 40s, what would stop them doing that in 30s.

I lived at Orange when they reduced the speed limit to 50 km/h and after a while when I came to Wollongong it seems they were all crazy but my wife had been knocked over by a woman who hit her turning right so I am biased.

If it is the default unless signposted with mobile speed camera cars used until people get used to it in my opinion it will be the way of the future with many electric assisted bikes and far better than squeezing past people on shared tracks.
Having travelled regularly through Orange on the Mitchell Highway to Dubbo, it's always frustrated me that the speed limit on the Mitchell Highway drops to 50km/h on the outskirts of the city in both directions. It's an arterial road and the limit should be at least 60km/h. Fair enough for 50km/h through the town centre (Summer St) but unrealistic for the approaches. I get updates of speed limit changes from TfNSW and very few are ever increased. It seems that the speed nazis' are well in control.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Transtopic wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:08 am
eddy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:51 pm

Having travelled regularly through Orange on the Mitchell Highway to Dubbo, it's always frustrated me that the speed limit on the Mitchell Highway drops to 50km/h on the outskirts of the city in both directions. It's an arterial road and the limit should be at least 60km/h. Fair enough for 50km/h through the town centre (Summer St) but unrealistic for the approaches. I get updates of speed limit changes from TfNSW and very few are ever increased. It seems that the speed nazis' are well in control.
Yes mate I know what you mean especially after you have been doing 100 km/h it feels like you have stopped and it is not the only town like that out there but after the police made big bucks you got used to it and 60 km/h seems crazy.

I suppose it boils down to who is the biggest voter the car driver or people who want their kids to ride to school safely on the 30 km/h backroads.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

eddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 am Yes mate I know what you mean especially after you have been doing 100 km/h it feels like you have stopped and it is not the only town like that out there but after the police made big bucks you got used to it and 60 km/h seems crazy.

I suppose it boils down to who is the biggest voter the car driver or people who want their kids to ride to school safely on the 30 km/h backroads.
Your 30kmh backroads idea would be one of those you didn't promise that during the campaign ideas that would get announced by the ruling party after a election as it would be classed as a part of a climate emission promise if it's announced during a election campaign
eddy

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:57 am
eddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 am Yes mate I know what you mean especially after you have been doing 100 km/h it feels like you have stopped and it is not the only town like that out there but after the police made big bucks you got used to it and 60 km/h seems crazy.

Your 30kmh backroads idea would be one of those you didn't promise that during the campaign ideas that would get announced by the ruling party after a election as it would be classed as a part of a climate emission promise if it's announced during a election campaign
You know far more about politics than me but all I know is electric assisted bikes are the future worldwide, more than electric cars, and it will not encourage them with a tiny shared track.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

eddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:55 am You know far more about politics than me but all I know is electric assisted bikes are the future worldwide, more than electric cars, and it will not encourage them with a tiny shared track.
Bikes account for about 1% of commuting in Australia. Most people can't ride bikes or would find them impractical for various reasons.
eddy

Post by eddy »

tonyp wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:38 am
eddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:55 am You know far more about politics than me but all I know is electric assisted bikes are the future worldwide, more than electric cars, and it will not encourage them with a tiny shared track.
Bikes account for about 1% of commuting in Australia. Most people can't ride bikes or would find them impractical for various reasons.
Most people in Holland learn to ride at 4 years old and it is the safest place in the world even though they do not wear hats because they use it as a form of transport sitting up straight going slow.

Electric assist bikes that can easily take a person to the nearest station in a 30 km/h safe street will be very popular to own one and charge it at home.

They are going to replace even electric cars in the future because they take less room, cost less and do less damage to the road.

For those who cannot ride they use a mobility scooter.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

The Netherland's bike usage is due to their infrastructure and priorities. For instance:
- Bike paths that are completely segregated from cars (Vs Sydney's mostly painted paths which are useless with cars parked in them)
- Bike/pedestrian priority at some intersections (Vs Sydney's car movement priority)
- Pedestrianised streets (Very rare in Sydney)
- Long routes for cars compared to bikes to encourage use (Vs direct routing for cars in Sydney)
- Heavy public transport use incentives (Vs motorway building incentivising car usage)

These are why they don't wear helmets, because their cities are centred around biking. It's got nothing to do with a speed limit, which doesn't help if streets still have cars passing by closely to cyclists.
This isn't just applicable to Sydney either, Australia as a whole suffers the same issues that disincentivise bike use.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

eddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm
tonyp wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:38 am
Most people in Holland learn to ride at 4 years old and it is the safest place in the world even though they do not wear hats because they use it as a form of transport sitting up straight going slow.

Electric assist bikes that can easily take a person to the nearest station in a 30 km/h safe street will be very popular to own one and charge it at home.

They are going to replace even electric cars in the future because they take less room, cost less and do less damage to the road.

For those who cannot ride they use a mobility scooter.
That idea will cause the obesity rate to skyrocket if everyone is riding everywhere
eddy

Post by eddy »

Randomness wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:04 pm The Netherland's bike usage is due to their infrastructure and priorities. For instance:
- Bike paths that are completely segregated from cars (Vs Sydney's mostly painted paths which are useless with cars parked in them)
- Bike/pedestrian priority at some intersections (Vs Sydney's car movement priority)
- Pedestrianised streets (Very rare in Sydney)
- Long routes for cars compared to bikes to encourage use (Vs direct routing for cars in Sydney)
- Heavy public transport use incentives (Vs motorway building incentivising car usage)

These are why they don't wear helmets, because their cities are centred around biking. It's got nothing to do with a speed limit, which doesn't help if streets still have cars passing by closely to cyclists.
This isn't just applicable to Sydney either, Australia as a whole suffers the same issues that disincentivise bike use.
I think we can even do better than Amsterdam by using the whole 30 km/h safety road which will give people even more room to overtake while still allowing vehicles.

Eurobike 2022 shows where the world is going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvp-IF2aNU

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”