Blue/Purple guard lights on trains.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Blue/Purple guard lights on trains.

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

General discussion for the guard lights.
Interestingly F1 and W3 have guard lights fitted to them, yet I don't think they ever had them while in service. Were they just added on for safety reasons?
Tangaras are also slowly recieving new guard lights, with the older purplish ones ontop of the doors being replaced by fully blue smaller ones (I'm assuming an LED?) that are beside the doors. I've seen one with the relocated light, but still using the old model, quite odd.
The D sets don't seem to have any lights on them, which I guess makes sense? The whole NIF doesnn't make sense to be honest.

Could anyone tell me when theguard lights were even introduced? I'm assuming around 1988 with the Tangaras but it could be earlier.
I prefer my catches rare.
Campbelltown busboy

Re: Blue/Purple guard lights on trains.

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

There's a 7 news story on YouTube from 1986 about the C set commissioning where both the set that was used as the Mitsubishi electric chopper system testing train and a newly built C set control car both looked like they had non lit blue guards lights above the cabin door
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I want to know if the ones with silver surrounds I see on newer sets are sourced bmfrom BMAC in the UK.
The earlier ones were the bus indicator style made presumably by Hella Corp.

Wording changed - Admin
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
R44
Favourite Vehicle: MO-8205

Post by R44 »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:10 pm General discussion for the guard lights.
Interestingly F1 and W3 have guard lights fitted to them, yet I don't think they ever had them while in service. Were they just added on for safety reasons?
No, they were fitted with them in service. There's footage of the last red sets that clearly have them in the shot.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”