Weird bridge/abundment thing near Arncliffe

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Weird bridge/abundment thing near Arncliffe

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Quite confused about this thing between Arncliffe and Wolli Creek, it's some sort of abandoned bridge between Arncliffe St and the Princes Hwy, flanked by Argyle street at the south end. Property signs say Sydney Water owns this. Bricks and whatnot look rather old, so my best guess is that this COULD have been from the sydney trams perway depot? even then it feels like it's a bit too south to really be it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.933783 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Here's a google maps link to the location, hopefully someone can give me a proper answer.
I prefer my catches rare.
tonyp

Re: Weird bridge/abundment thing near Arncliffe

Post by tonyp »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 pm Quite confused about this thing between Arncliffe and Wolli Creek, it's some sort of abandoned bridge between Arncliffe St and the Princes Hwy, flanked by Argyle street at the south end. Property signs say Sydney Water owns this. Bricks and whatnot look rather old, so my best guess is that this COULD have been from the sydney trams perway depot? even then it feels like it's a bit too south to really be it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.933783 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Here's a google maps link to the location, hopefully someone can give me a proper answer.
It's part of the SE sewer that exits at Malabar.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

It's I believe, still an active part of the Sydney sewer system. You can follow much of its route via the areal views. It crosses the Cooks River near Marrickville, then Wolli Creek, runs under the railway at Arncliffe, can be seen on a viaduct between factory units then disappears under the ridge to appear on the other side near the airport where it crosses the Cooks River again and skirts around the edge of the airport.
It eventually gets to the Malibar treatment works and outfalls.
I assume it's the way it is to minimise the need for syphons and pumping stations - get it to gravity feed as much as possible. And yes it's old. From when the Marrickville area was first developed.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

You can see its more original route in the 1943 Sydney aerial photography set available on

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

Including actually pumping it under the original Cooks River route
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

If it's not Heritage listed, it should be. Our friend Mr. De Burgh, of bridge fame, built it. He had to import a complete steam-driven concrete mixing plant from Britain to construct it!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

lunchbox wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:58 pm If it's not Heritage listed, it should be. Our friend Mr. De Burgh, of bridge fame, built it. He had to import a complete steam-driven concrete mixing plant from Britain to construct it!
I suspect that it's on the Sydney Water heritage register, together with the other early infrastructure of the water supply and sewerage system.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”