Railway Observations for 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Railway Observations for 2022.

Post by boronia »

Special_K wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:37 pm Are the Eddy Avenue ramp food outlets still trading?

In my time working at Central, the main Eddy Ave eatery knew my order after a few visits.
On the western side, there is still CJ's take away food (very good), a small convenience store, not sure about the fruit stall.
On the eastern side there are two coffee bars. The tea shop, newspaper shop and the big food bar have gone.

Also noted yesterday that all the shops in the Devonshire tunnel around the plaza have closed.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:07 am
As I said in my OP, I contacted 131500, I understand they were not able to resolve anything but was hoping they may have had more insight or been able to escalate the issue and then come back with "Okay it is a glitch in our System as to those replacement buses not showing, there is definitely a bus running at that time otherwise". They were just as in dark as I was, not a good sign.
A couple of months back during the floods I was booked on the overnight XPT to Melbourne. After a couple of calls to NSWTrainlink who tried to convince me my train would start from Goulburn I did some investigating and rang them back to suggest it was being replaced by coaches throughout. They looked into it and discovered that to be true, saying they had not been told.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So much emphasis put onto telling the public to check "Trip Planner" for alerts & Information but very little helpful information when it is needed the most.

One sign out at the front of the station saying that day "Buses will replace ALL Trains" but then you have trip planner saying nothing about said buses except for one that was being ran at 4AM and nothing again until after 9:30 AM. I won't continue on this however TNSW really needs to work on it's communications to the public as this most definitely should have been picked up upon.

I just ended driving into work that day as I wasn't able to afford standing around to see what the story is with the replacement buses.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

As much as it's probably just urinating into the wind, I'd suggest feedback to TfNSW (including threats of going further), and if their response is not satisfactory, writing to your local MP or the Transport Minister.

In this situation emails won't suffice - except as a beginning means of complaining (you might then try a letter to TfNSW if that's possible to bypass the script-readers manning the phones/computer). As much as a pain as typing a letter, sending and following up can be, it will get people's attention when done properly.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:09 am As much as it's probably just urinating into the wind, I'd suggest feedback to TfNSW (including threats of going further), and if their response is not satisfactory, writing to your local MP or the Transport Minister.

In this situation emails won't suffice - except as a beginning means of complaining (you might then try a letter to TfNSW if that's possible to bypass the script-readers manning the phones/computer). As much as a pain as typing a letter, sending and following up can be, it will get people's attention when done properly.
Letters to the Transport Minister in NSW never reach the Minister. It's best to write to your local MP and he/she will get a formal reply.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:09 am As much as it's probably just urinating into the wind, I'd suggest feedback to TfNSW (including threats of going further), and if their response is not satisfactory, writing to your local MP or the Transport Minister.

I would think that in a monolithic organisation like TfNSW, letters would also have to pass numerous "script readers" to find there way to an appropriate person. And would much more likely to be lost in transit.
@ The Museum of Fire.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

I'm considering hand-written letters to the TfNSW Board members at their home addresses.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Just got out of the horrid Wentworth Falls incident from last night, that experience was pure hell.
I prefer my catches rare.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Fatalities normally are…
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Linto63

Re: Railway Observations for 2022

Post by Linto63 »

V42 and V19 stabled away from their usual sphere of operation at Campbelltown yard this afternoon.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Has previously been suggested they are for driver training.

A few years ago they used to bring a couple of sets out to Penrith yard late morning, do a bit of shunting and coupling for a couple of hours, 3 or 4 days per week.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:18 am Some observations on a FB page this week that there are no longer any food outlets on the North or Grand concourses at Central (apart from a convenience store) and the Newslink bookshops are due to close at the end of this month.
What's the plan (and timeframe) in regard to the future availability of sustenance at Sydney Terminal?
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Glen wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:04 am
boronia wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:18 am Some observations on a FB page this week that there are no longer any food outlets on the North or Grand concourses at Central (apart from a convenience store) and the Newslink bookshops are due to close at the end of this month.
What's the plan (and timeframe) in regard to the future availability of sustenance at Sydney Terminal?
I was wondering the same thing. Literally the only option right now is the few vending machines near Platform 1 - which only provide a few snack or drink options...
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
boronia

Post by boronia »

I sent in feedback to Sydney Trains about this and their best suggestion was
Thank you for your enquiry about purchasing newspapers or magazines at Central Station.

The nearest place would be the Henry Deane Plaza located at the entrance to the Devonshire Street.

The Plaza offers an array of food and drink choices and you can pick up your essentials from the pharmacy and newsagency. You can even bag that last minute fashion item or book.
Unfortunately, it seems all those facilities are not readily accessible from the Concourses, and in fact all closed some time ago.

None of the vending machines have coffee, papers, magazines, books.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

$100m to be stripped from upgrade of Sydney’s Central Station

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/100 ... 5au4j.html
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

boronia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:02 am $100m to be stripped from upgrade of Sydney’s Central Station

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/100 ... 5au4j.html
No doubt the metro will go untouched.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The revamp is separate to the construction of platforms for a new metro rail line and a major underground pedestrian link at Central, which has risen in cost by $185 million to $1.14 billion. That project is in its final stages.
@ The Museum of Fire.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

The full weekday timetable on the Southern Highlands line has resumed operating from today, for the first time in 5.5 months. This means there are no longer any two hour gaps between some services (e.g. between 12pm and 2pm from Moss Vale) when normally an hourly service would be operating.

Now if only the operator of the line would fix some of the speed restrictions on the track, particularly the long 40km/h restriction on the northbound line between Mittagong and Yerrinbool around the tunnels, and trains might actually run to the stated timetable :twisted:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I can't see the article so I don't know what items are in the general station works, but making the main concourse roof transparent is a terrible idea, not only for the heritage of the building but because those glazed roofs look terrible from inside when the dirt and dust start to come down on them - which means high maintenance if the appearance is to be maintained. The main station has had much major renovation over the last 30 years. It's fine as it is.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The centre section of the roof is already transparent. I wonder how far down they planned on extending it?

Modern materials can be made "self cleaning". I recall the tiles on the Opera House were claimed as such 50 years ago.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Another landslip on BMT, this time near Blackheath.
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I may have missed it but apparently there's Waratah A sets working on the BMT line currently instead of Intercity V-sets, anyone know the reasoning behind this?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The line is closed beyond Katoomba due to a landslip. Perhaps they have the problem again with V sets trapped at Mt Vic.

Several BMT trips this afternoon are showing as being cancelled.

Seems that the NIF track mods are becoming useful?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:34 pm I may have missed it but apparently there's Waratah A sets working on the BMT line currently instead of Intercity V-sets, anyone know the reasoning behind this?
What is this info based on?

I’ll cut to the chase, it would be wrong as it is not being updated accurately when the trips are being inserted into the system
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Glen

Post by Glen »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:34 pm I may have missed it but apparently there's Waratah A sets working on the BMT line currently instead of Intercity V-sets, anyone know the reasoning behind this?
This link implies BMT trains are only operating between Katoomba and Penrith:

https://transportnsw.info/news/2022/ser ... conditions

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”