Railway Observations for 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Re: Railway Observations for 2022.

Post by boxythingy »

My patience is wearing thin with this industrial action debacle. People are starting to blame both the union AND the government. Both parties seem to be doing nothing to ensure the safety of passengers (being able to physically distance) on guaranteed service frequencies. Ironic really when the whole reason for the union making its legal right to take industrial action is about safety (of the next gen of Intercity train fleet).

Pity that the (transport) unions FAILED to consult/secure agreements with the police (emergency workers/union) to not provide infringements which will bound to irritate passengers late for their appointments or rendering attending such events impossible, and to add insult to injury receive a fine because they misheard another person's Opal Card ding when their own reader light was still "red" :roll:

Crowding is bound to happen when customers don't know if the next train will arrive in 15 or 45mins. The availability of service is actually worse than or comparable with trackwork, as you don't know if the next rail replacement bus service would come in 2, 14 or 35min. The amount of locked off carriages is also becoming more ridiculous, why isn't there campaign material advising customers to help by not unnecessarily vom*tting/sh*tting all over a carriage would prevent overcrowding in the other available carriages and help all stay safe including staff travelling alongside customers (to ensure timetabled services can run), being able to physically distance?

https://www.ourrightsourfight.com.au/ this website is all done well and bravo, I learned a lot as a railway outsider from the videos, however can I recommend anyone who happens to be a unionised worker, union organiser or leader reading this, I understand this is probably a fight of the generation admdist major social changes brought upon by the pandemic.

Please leave something that will benefit the next generation of workers and the travelling public, think about campaigns that disrupt the traditional notion of 9-5 office hours. Perhaps stop running morning and/or afternoon peak services so that will force greater adoption of office alternate locations for work, encourage earlier/later starts that suit the individual worker rather than just the employer and the employer only.

When this pandemic is over, this will help staff work much more easier with the peak hours loads spread out more evenly, rather than all bunched together before the impending "before 9am deadline" resulting in very unhappy customers due to excessive and unsafe patronage load numbers, stress for people "needing to get in by 9", stop signallers pulling their hair out when lines and trains are tangled up , decrease stress for staff worrying about people spilling onto the tracks from crazily crowded conditions at legacy width platforms at major interchanges ETC!

Selfish motives will only leave the next generation of potential union members yet to join feeling isolated, not being able to decide whether joining is worth it (for what?) or safer to be spent paying off the mortgage to keep a (leaky) roof over their heads and minimising the amount of interest/account fees or continuing to smash avocados.
pgt wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 pm Re the "open gates" industrial action:
I suspect last Sunday somebody at Hurstville didn't get the memo (as I recall it the industrial action started before that?), since the gates were closed/in the normal position.
(Having seen the gates open at Town Hall the day before, this is why I thought this was notable).

One thing I did notice was that where gates are "open", the Opal readers on the gates appear to alternate directions - which means those who wish to tap on/off have to wait for the reader to go from red to orange.
Non-union member staff on duty during that time at Hurstville station?
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

boxythingy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:35 am My patience is wearing thin with this industrial action debacle. People are starting to blame both the union AND the government. Both parties seem to be doing nothing to ensure the safety of passengers (being able to physically distance) on guaranteed service frequencies. Ironic really when the whole reason for the union making its legal right to take industrial action is about safety (of the next gen of Intercity train fleet).

Pity that the (transport) unions FAILED to consult/secure agreements with the police (emergency workers/union) to not provide infringements which will bound to irritate passengers late for their appointments or rendering attending such events impossible, and to add insult to injury receive a fine because they misheard another person's Opal Card ding when their own reader light was still "red" :roll:

Crowding is bound to happen when customers don't know if the next train will arrive in 15 or 45mins. The availability of service is actually worse than or comparable with trackwork, as you don't know if the next rail replacement bus service would come in 2, 14 or 35min. The amount of locked off carriages is also becoming more ridiculous, why isn't there campaign material advising customers to help by not unnecessarily vom*tting/sh*tting all over a carriage would prevent overcrowding in the other available carriages and help all stay safe including staff travelling alongside customers (to ensure timetabled services can run), being able to physically distance?

https://www.ourrightsourfight.com.au/ this website is all done well and bravo, I learned a lot as a railway outsider from the videos, however can I recommend anyone who happens to be a unionised worker, union organiser or leader reading this, I understand this is probably a fight of the generation admdist major social changes brought upon by the pandemic.

Please leave something that will benefit the next generation of workers and the travelling public, think about campaigns that disrupt the traditional notion of 9-5 office hours. Perhaps stop running morning and/or afternoon peak services so that will force greater adoption of office alternate locations for work, encourage earlier/later starts that suit the individual worker rather than just the employer and the employer only.

When this pandemic is over, this will help staff work much more easier with the peak hours loads spread out more evenly, rather than all bunched together before the impending "before 9am deadline" resulting in very unhappy customers due to excessive and unsafe patronage load numbers, stress for people "needing to get in by 9", stop signallers pulling their hair out when lines and trains are tangled up , decrease stress for staff worrying about people spilling onto the tracks from crazily crowded conditions at legacy width platforms at major interchanges ETC!

Selfish motives will only leave the next generation of potential union members yet to join feeling isolated, not being able to decide whether joining is worth it (for what?) or safer to be spent paying off the mortgage to keep a (leaky) roof over their heads and minimising the amount of interest/account fees or continuing to smash avocados.
pgt wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 pm Re the "open gates" industrial action:
I suspect last Sunday somebody at Hurstville didn't get the memo (as I recall it the industrial action started before that?), since the gates were closed/in the normal position.
(Having seen the gates open at Town Hall the day before, this is why I thought this was notable).

One thing I did notice was that where gates are "open", the Opal readers on the gates appear to alternate directions - which means those who wish to tap on/off have to wait for the reader to go from red to orange.
Non-union member staff on duty during that time at Hurstville station?
So what do you expect? That the union should just roll over, when the government has reneged on previous verbal agreements to end the dispute. The government is wholly to blame for continuation of the disruption to services for their own crass political reasons leading up to next year's election.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Transport agency planned to cut Sydney’s peak-hour train services

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/tra ... 5baj1.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Ambitious plans to build towers over railway lines at Central Station revealed

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/amb ... 5bb79.html
@ The Museum of Fire.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

I believe there's going to be a lot more of these awful projects soon as some sort of big to:
A - Grab more votes for the next election
B - Sell off everything from the TAHE and prepare for privatisation

This project is eerily similar to the Eveleigh rebuild thingy, I'm honestly sick of all these pie in the sky projects that get built and executed in the worst ways possible. It's just a never ending cycle of create problems, create solutions, create problems, create solutions, create problems...
I prefer my catches rare.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Building large projects over rail lines has been done successfully in Melbourne and Perth, this project will be even larger but I think it has a reasonable chance of going ahead in some form or another. It's not a pie in the sky - there is enough money in all those new towers to justify the expense of constructing over the rail yards. The biggest challenge for transport/rail advocacy is to ensure it's not done in a way that constrains the capacity and functionality of Sydney Terminal. For example, will steam trains still be allowed? Will there still be loco release roads? Will the construction further impair the flying junctions somehow? Will any of the capacity removed for the Metro build ever be returned? Etc.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It would not be hard to make provision for ventilation in the "roof" over the platforms if they want to run diesel locos (only the I-P long term at the moment, perhaps they could get bi-mode locos for that too?). I think there were plans to fix up Mortuary Station to cater for heritage trains.

Re Flying Junctions, the development doesn't seem to affect the suburban lines.
@ The Museum of Fire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

The plans for Mortuary Station are apparently to extend the Goods Line (footpath) through the tunnel, there is no mention of retaining any tracks for heritage trains. These two plans aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. It sure would be a shame to lose steam trains into Central proper however.

Good point about the XPT/XPL/Endeavour all being replaced by bi-mode trains; easy to see them coming up with a solution for the IP too if needed - change locos at Lithgow ?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Any "roof" over the country platforms is going to be very high compared to the surrounding road network. A lot of stairs to get down to Pitt St or even Chalmers St?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

jpp42 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:30 pm Good point about the XPT/XPL/Endeavour all being replaced by bi-mode trains; easy to see them coming up with a solution for the IP too if needed - change locos at Lithgow ?
The government would have to negotiate with Byond Rail and National Pacific to get bi modal locos on the Indian Pacific as Byond leases NR and AN class locos from Pacific National to haul the service whitch might start to get things moving on making the federal government and the ARTC start thinking about electrifying the long hual freight network across Australia
boronia

Post by boronia »

jpp42 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:30 pm
Good point about the XPT/XPL/Endeavour all being replaced by bi-mode trains; easy to see them coming up with a solution for the IP too if needed - change locos at Lithgow ?
With the increasing costs of diesel fuel, I wonder if the rail operators are considering advantages of reverting to electric haulage on the longer wired networks? All freight trains could benefit, not just the IP.
@ The Museum of Fire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

My understanding is that the electrical rate Sydney Trains charges is usurious. It would take a much larger increase in fuel costs for that to become viable.
boronia

Post by boronia »

If only the Gov could show some "green compassion" to make electricity more viable?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

boronia wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:52 pm With the increasing costs of diesel fuel, I wonder if the rail operators are considering advantages of reverting to electric haulage on the longer wired networks? All freight trains could benefit, not just the IP.
Doesn't freight timetabling come under the ARTC which owns most of the rail infrastructure in Australia does the ARTC even want to electrify every kilometre of track in Australia when the idea isn't even been debated in federal parliament
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

jpp42 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:53 pm My understanding is that the electrical rate Sydney Trains charges is usurious.
The result of "more efficient" privatisation of our power infrastructure our representatives insist upon.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Intercity V Set V34 / V4 (8 Car set) was at Newcastle Interchange between 9 & 11 AM yesterday morning as an OOS train (Out of Service). Wasn't showing up on real time trip trackers and it virtually sat at the Interchange for a good lengthy period of time before taking off around 11:30 AM when I saw it from some distance away go past Broadmeadow station.

The reason why I'm positing this observation is because V-Sets no longer run passenger services of a weekend on the Central Coast / Newcastle Line and it is fully 100% operated by Oscars (H Set's). Someone can probably fill in with an answer but I'm not too sure why there was a V set sitting at Newcastle Interchange at 9 AM on Saturday.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
GriffinRoads1

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Interesting. Shame that Anytrip was having bandwidth restrictions at the time though, north of Wyong and south of Waterfall were picking up no trains after it kept on crashing the days beforehand. I suspect the union action at the ROC could have caused some of this maybe? I'm no data wizard.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I'm glad it was only the app doing any crashing.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
GriffinRoads1

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

H15/47 have now been equipped with the new B set style destination boards. Likely a provision for the proposed suburban conversion of them, I'll try and get a picture when I can, all I've got to go off right now is a grainy image that isn't mine or public.
Doors and door buttons are taped up with yellow tape.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:20 pm H15/47 have now been equipped with the new B set style destination boards. Likely a provision for the proposed suburban conversion of them, I'll try and get a picture when I can, all I've got to go off right now is a grainy image that isn't mine or public.
Doors and door buttons are taped up with yellow tape.
https://youtu.be/YMT4q6QM9pg[/youtube]

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong but here’s the link if anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/YMT4q6QM9pg
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Possibly the weirdest stopping pattern I've ever seen...
Central, all to North Sydney, Waverton, Wollstonecraft, Artarmon, Roseville, Killara, Turramurra, Waitara, Hornsby.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220916-170538.png
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

You would think they’ve skipped the wrong stops, looking at that list, should be the other way around, very unusual indeed.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

The train before that was also running late and had altered stopping pattern as well, stopping at all the other stops - North Sydney then St Leonards, Chatswood, Lindfield and terminating at Gordon.
So basically 2 trains alternating stops, still very weird though
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

More ammunition on the need for guards for RTBU (not):

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... a78e64b31a
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:38 pm More ammunition on the need for guards for RTBU (not):

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... a78e64b31a
I'd have thought train doors, like buses, have systems in place to stop them closing if there is an obstruction like an arm in the way...

Sydney Train's defence, "she was drunk!" is beyond laughable.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”