Railway Observations for 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Rclasstramcar
Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor-1961 Hillman

Re: Railway Observations for 2022.

Post by Rclasstramcar »

Glen wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:26 am I had to travel home from the airport at 9pm Monday 14/3 and couldn't believe what a mess the trains were in even at that time of night.

My train from Domestic sat idle for 30 minutes because there was a train at every station between there and Central.

Instead I took a train to Wolli Creek and (with my suit case) missed the next Citybound Illawarra train because, can you believe, the UP button in the elevator is missing! (It even has a note stuck to it telling you not to poke your finger into the hole where said button would have once upon a time been).

Then I got to Central and ran my wheeled bag from platform 24 to platform 10 in less than 3 minutes to just make it on to the 10.20pm from Sydney Terminal to Epping (creating a sensation of great relief, given that multiple trains ahead of it and behind it were cancelled) only to find that after the doors closed they announced that train was cancelled too.

Following this, multiple crews, station staff and passengers were wandering around dazed and confused.

Then someone announced there would be a train from platform 18 to Penrith and when I got there staff were advising that as they had no idea when the next train would be, everybody should catch that train no matter where they were going and change to a connection further out - a kind thought but probably wishful thinking on the connection idea.

What's going on - have we suddenly gone back to 1980?
The floods have caused havoc on the rail system. Plus, there has been industrial action as well as public servants haven't had a wage increase in a few years, and I suspect shortages due to unvaccinated staff are also causing the problems to worsen as well.

Ben
Return Sydney's trams
Vote Morrison and his Government out this election.
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

ADVERTISING.....
On Friday 18 March 2022, rail contractor Laing O'Rourke took a whole page of the Sydney Morning Herald, declaring its proud history on major rail projects. I've never seen such "loud" mass-media advertising from a rail builder before. I can't help thinking there's a large rat somewhere but I can't smell it yet....
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Re: Railway Observations 2022

Post by Aurora »

I would attach a photo but the software says it is too large for the forum.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Some Blue Mountains trains are running as far east as St Marys and running local stops between Penrith and St Marys.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Railway Observations 2022

Post by boronia »

Aurora wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:17 pm I would attach a photo but the software says it is too large for the forum.
You can resize it.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Re: Railway Observations for 2022

Post by Linto63 »

lunchbox wrote: On Friday 18 March 2022, rail contractor Laing O'Rourke took a whole page of the Sydney Morning Herald, declaring its proud history on major rail projects. I've never seen such "loud" mass-media advertising from a rail builder before. I can't help thinking there's a large rat somewhere but I can't smell it yet....
Possibly more of a brand awareness advertisement ahead of Laing O'Rourke spinning off its Australian operation.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:38 am Some Blue Mountains trains are running as far east as St Marys and running local stops between Penrith and St Marys.
https://www.facebook.com/NSWPublicTrans ... &ref=notif
with a D set operating from Central?
Last edited by boronia on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@ The Museum of Fire.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Last night the evening train to Goulburn was displayed in both Tripview and Anytrip as departing 17 minutes later than the usual schedule at every station between Glenfield and Goulburn, which usually occurs when it's being diverted via either Regents Park or Granville.

I was lucky that I checked the train's location and noticed it was sailing through Revesby about 40 minutes before it was "scheduled" to be departing from Campbelltown, as the service was running to it's usual timetable (which was displayed correctly on station indicator boards), and not to the altered schedule displayed in journey planning apps. Hope that nobody missed it due to the misinformation.

Not that much time was gained, as train control decided that a delayed Canberra Xplorer was more important than the on time intercity service, and held it at Menangle Park for the Xplorer which was 15 minutes behind to overtake it, causing the Goulburn service to run 20 minutes behind schedule.

My previous experience has always been that delayed regional services are given low priority over other trains that are running on time, so that was quite unexpected.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

My previous experience has always been that delayed regional services are given low priority over other trains that are running on time, so that was quite unexpected.
Seems like policy now is to give priority to delayed trains no matter what. I had a T3 service delayed 5 min as it had to hold at Cabramatta for a delayed T2 service that was all the way at Fairfield. Multiple times too.
Stonesourscotty

Hi Boronia There getting called out on the false advertising it's all V Sets on Springwood-St Marys including V4 on its lonesome and a double set
boronia

Post by boronia »

Shame they won't run those BMT services through to Central.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stonesourscotty

Penrith trains where running on the fasts between Blacktown and St Marys might have something to do with it?
boronia

Post by boronia »

T1 services are back to Emu Plains to North Shore running.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Randomness

Post by Randomness »

Some new, more useful PIS’s on B07 and a new colour scheme. Seems to be only a few sets so far as I saw the old black-green ones on B20. The stops on the screen scroll down as opposed to to the side and only seem to scroll when leaving a station rather than every few seconds. The large screens don’t show next stops now (or did they ever?), just info advertising and the current stop when at one.
Attachments
0A6C94C9-B592-478A-AADD-32A707B734CB.jpeg
76B296BC-729F-42F8-872A-F4CF3A1008F0.jpeg
Randomness

Post by Randomness »

Also noticed an automated announcement “this train can’t depart until the doors are closed, please move any obstructions and stand clear, thank you.” Unfortunately these repeat over and over again until the doors are properly closed. Quite annoying.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Randomness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:20 pm Also noticed an automated announcement “this train can’t depart until the doors are closed, please move any obstructions and stand clear, thank you.” Unfortunately these repeat over and over again until the doors are properly closed. Quite annoying.
Would be nice if people didn’t obstruct the doors, I agree.
M 5885.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Would someone be able to explain how come there was an OSCAR barrelling down the East Hills line yesterday? Maybe an empty run or transfer or something? I saw that 4-car H come past Beverly Hills yesterday arvo just around 2pm on the up express track.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Feds to pledge $1 billion for faster rail from Sydney to Newcastle

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5a8cz.html

There is already a "dual track bridge" across the Wyong River. Is this a suggestion they want to quad the section?
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:33 am Would someone be able to explain how come there was an OSCAR barrelling down the East Hills line yesterday? Maybe an empty run or transfer or something? I saw that 4-car H come past Beverly Hills yesterday arvo just around 2pm on the up express track.
Yes, maybe
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Seems full BMT services are back on from today, although it was announced last week that only the Bathurst DMUs would be running this week.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Only as far as Mount Vic for the moment except for the Bullet.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Until 1st April according to https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/ems-3742

But route 32BM timetable goes to 8th April.
https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 220408.pdf
Living in the Shire.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:33 am Would someone be able to explain how come there was an OSCAR barrelling down the East Hills line yesterday? Maybe an empty run or transfer or something? I saw that 4-car H come past Beverly Hills yesterday arvo just around 2pm on the up express track.
Normal test run for repaired sets at Eveleigh
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

boronia wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am
There is already a "dual track bridge" across the Wyong River. Is this a suggestion they want to quad the section?

Could be an opportunity to see the second bridge over Cockle Creek return. I hope it happens, the 4 track station there was beautiful!
Glen

Post by Glen »

SteamFest at Maitland has been postponed until 30-31 July, due to the impacts of recent rain on the display grounds and locomotive availability.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”