Railway Observations for 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: Railway Observations for 2022.

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Aurora wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:34 pm I may have missed it but apparently there's Waratah A sets working on the BMT line currently instead of Intercity V-sets, anyone know the reasoning behind this?
What is this info based on?

I’ll cut to the chase, it would be wrong as it is not being updated accurately when the trips are being inserted into the system
Real time trip trackers including Tripview & Anytrip. As of 7:00 AM this morning, they are no longer displaying trains as running to Katoomba.

& Yes I know it works differently to buses that the trains on real time tracking applications are basically "simulated" movements & doesn't reflect on their current position.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:34 pm I may have missed it but apparently there's Waratah A sets working on the BMT line currently instead of Intercity V-sets, anyone know the reasoning behind this?
Nah, even if there was a A set around that area, Intercity crew are not qualified for Waratahs and would need to be piloted by Sydney Trains crew.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Latest advice on Trip Planner:

Buses replace trains between Mount Victoria and Katoomba due to a landslip near Mount Victoria.
Bathurst trains are also replaced by buses between Bathurst and Lithgow or Katoomba only.
Trains run to a changed timetable between Lithgow and Mount Victoria and also between Katoomba and Penrith.
Limited trains will run between Katoomba and Central.
Allow extra travel time, check transport apps and transportnsw.info for service updates.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Also of note:

Dubbo services will be replaced with road coaches between Sydney/Lithgow/Sydney, where customers will be transferred to a three car Xplorer for journey to/from Dubbo.

Is this a really a regional Xplorer or actually an Endeavour that would have been stabled at Lithgow (for the Bathurst bullet)? Or did they transfer an Xplorer via Cootamundra/Parkes?
SthnStarRail

Post by SthnStarRail »

More than likely would be the Broken Hill Xplorer set
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

They may have had an Xplorer set stuck west of the line closure.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

Given that there are so many lines closed by either floods, land slips and the freight train derailment at Gunning, a name change to NSW Coachlink would be appropriate.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

B5 making an unusual T7 Olympic Park run tonight currently on P2 at Lidcombe
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

Stonesourscotty wrote:B5 making an unusual T7 Olympic Park run tonight currently on P2 at Lidcombe
Bulldogs game on at Accor Stadium, so was a Bankstown line service to Olympic Park
Stonesourscotty

Incorrect it was actually on a T7 to Central which was the oddity.
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

Stonesourscotty wrote:Incorrect it was actually on a T7 to Central which was the oddity.
P2 at Lidcombe is westbound FYI. Do you mean P3?

The service ran from Sydenham > Olympic Park via Bankstown then continued to Central empty. This happens every Bulldogs game on a weekend.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

One of my friends saw T122 tonight, and it's still got the OD markings!
Not scratched off, not peeled off, they're just there, even relocated for some reason.
I prefer my catches rare.
Stonesourscotty

5621 on A21 locked out of use on Penrith Lindfields currently sat at the Riff and the 5:53 Bmt from Penrith is only 4 carriages due to urgent train repairs running 11 late so far.

A heavily graffitied A7 on Olympic Park to City Circle with first 3 Carriages locked out of service and heavily graffitied.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:19 pm 5621 on A21 locked out of use on Penrith Lindfields currently sat at the Riff and the 5:53 Bmt from Penrith is only 4 carriages due to urgent train repairs running 11 late so far.

A heavily graffitied A7 on Olympic Park to City Circle with first 3 Carriages locked out of service and heavily graffitied.
And that's with cutback cleaning action too to my knowledge.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Redevelopment plans for historic Sydney rail workshops unveiled

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/red ... 5b4dg.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Disgusted is an understatement over that attack by subhumans at Rooty Hill on a 60 year old off duty policeman that's been in the news.
We need to change the laws suppressing the identities of these beasts.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Swift wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:46 am Disgusted is an understatement over that attack by subhumans at Rooty Hill on a 60 year old off duty policeman that's been in the news.
We need to change the laws suppressing the identities of these beasts.
These ferals should be put down. They are a disgrace to the human race.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

T1 trackwork on weeknights this week leading to some weird stopping patterns for trains that usually terminate at Gordon or Lindfield instead heading up to Hornsby to stable.

9.05pm Central to Gordon service extends to Hornsby, stopping Pymble, Turramurra, Warrawee, and then Hornsby.
9.32pm Central to Lindfield service extends to Hornsby, stopping all to North Sydney, St Leonards, Chatswood, Lindfield (as per usual), then all stations to Hornsby - except Waitara.
Attachments
Makes no sense...
Makes no sense...
Stonesourscotty

Unsure if this is unusual but B38 was on the Blacktown stoppers last night and a normal weekend sight I saw B12 stabled at Penrith this morning.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:18 pm Unsure if this is unusual but B38 was on the Blacktown stoppers last night and a normal weekend sight I saw B12 stabled at Penrith this morning.
Nothing unusual about it as Waratah A or B Sets can be substituted without having causing issues for crew. If it was K Sets or M sets, may cause issues with crew working as some are no longer qualified for those trains.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Many already know, but I'll document it here. Yesterday's Port to Port S set tour was cancelled due to a staff shortage, notably a lack of qualified guards. Don't direct any blame to HET, this was a messup on behalf of Sydney Trains.
I prefer my catches rare.
Linto63

Re: Railway Observations for 2022

Post by Linto63 »

Having been bereft of any food outlets for a period, both the stand alone coffee shop opposite platform 4 and the eatery opposite platform 8 have reopened on Central's grand concourse. Both appeared to be doing a good trade.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The union's "open gate" policy over the last couple of weeks seems to have attracted about a 50% "honesty" tap on compliance.

But a couple of times this week I have encountered random shut down Opal readers. I wonder how much "profit" Opal will get from passengers who were not able to tap off, and got lumbered with a default fare?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

^ Typical Sydney rubbish.
I can make a guess which 50% have more people who don't return their shopping trolleys to the return bays!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Re the "open gates" industrial action:
I suspect last Sunday somebody at Hurstville didn't get the memo (as I recall it the industrial action started before that?), since the gates were closed/in the normal position.
(Having seen the gates open at Town Hall the day before, this is why I thought this was notable).

One thing I did notice was that where gates are "open", the Opal readers on the gates appear to alternate directions - which means those who wish to tap on/off have to wait for the reader to go from red to orange.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”