NSW Bus Observations 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: NSW Bus Observations 2022.

Post by Fleet Lists »

Went for a walk this afternoon and saw the 971 actually do the diversion.
And when I referred to Anytrip yesterday I meant I was tracking as well as looking at the timetable so that if the bus had not done the diversion I would have expected a message that it was traveling off course which I did not get.

But for route 958 the pm school trip which seems to start the shift does not show in the Tripview or Anytrip timetables at the moment
Living in the Shire.
PG1

Post by PG1 »

The printed 971 timetable does not indicate that the "High School Diversion in the PM service" operates on school days only.-
Glen

Post by Glen »

Perhaps it's done that way for simplicity, especially as it is a minor diversion.

After all, I guess lots of people (who don't have school age children) may not know when school holidays start and finish.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:38 pm But not only that I noticed that a 971 pm trip which diverts via Sylvania High school during school terms only, showed on Anytrip as also diverting today - not just the timetable information but the tracking also showed the actual diversion.
Glen wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:13 pm Did you see if the bus actually diverted?
Regarding that 971 on Wednesday, it most definitely did divert; I got on that very bus at Sylvania HS. Caught me off guard as I had just jumped off the 7 route and as I made my way to Port Hacking Rd, consulting TripView, I was wondering why the next 971 towards Hurstville was so far away.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

PG1 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:21 pm The printed 971 timetable does not indicate that the "High School Diversion in the PM service" operates on school days only.-
That is standard as school term timetables used to be replaced with school holidays which then show school holiday trips only. I have complained about this for a long time as there should not be need to carry separate school term and school holiday timetables. I prefer the one timetable which shows both term and holiday trips and that applies to all routes not just the 971.
Living in the Shire.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Interesting spot to see an electric bus....at Centennial Park...found via Google Maps:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.900 ... authuser=0
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
Linto63

Re: NSW Bus Observations 2022

Post by Linto63 »

For many years Eastern Suburbs rail replacement services have been operated by State Transit operated region 9. This weekend with a four day shutdown in place, it was operated by Transdev, but not its new region 9 joint venture with John Holland, but exclusively with buses from its region 10, 12 and 13 operations.

Maybe it was tendered separately, or perhaps region 9 was a bit stretched with Easter Show and extra beach services? Or was it a case of Transdev working out that even with the additional dead running and route learning costs, it was more efficient for it to use drivers from regions that are on a lower rate the region 9?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Having witnessed first hand what happens when the uninitiated are sent off into unfamiliar areas on rail replacement, I would hope they had good reason to do so...
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:49 pm For many years Eastern Suburbs rail replacement services have been operated by State Transit operated region 9. This weekend with a four day shutdown in place, it was operated by Transdev, but not its new region 9 joint venture with John Holland, but exclusively with buses from its region 10, 12 and 13 operations.

Maybe it was tendered separately, or perhaps region 9 was a bit stretched with Easter Show and extra beach services? Or was it a case of Transdev working out that even with the additional dead running and route learning costs, it was more efficient for it to use drivers from regions that are on a lower rate the region 9?
I have seen some photos posted of buses from North Sydney Bus Charters which appeared to be operating Eastern Suburbs Rail train replacement on William St, Darlinghurst such as https://www.flickr.com/photos/189347680 ... 009381891/
Living in the Shire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

How does that bus have “Rail Replacement” written permanently on the top side for a charter operator, is business that high?
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That is a left over from when it was one of a number of such buses owned by the Dineen Group in Victoriaon a special rail replacement contract
see https://www.flickr.com/photos/193972346 ... 893925264/

See one of such buses back in its Victorian dates.
https://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/di ... ?pid=20619

This has been discussed before but I cant fond it just yet.
PS It was just a single post at viewtopic.php?p=1087854#p1087854
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:04 pmI have seen some photos posted of buses from North Sydney Bus Charters which appeared to be operating Eastern Suburbs Rail train replacement on William St, Darlinghurst such as https://www.flickr.com/photos/189347680 ... 009381891/
There were a few North Sydney buses about, including some Yutong coaches, but the bulk of the work was being performed by Transdev.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Walked past Y depot and saw the buses showing the little Busways logo and the signs at the entrance have Busways logos on them but still has a business as usual vibe.

Came across a few drivers walking the other way as I rounded the corner at Cressy Rd with Busways on their uniform.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Re: the replacement buses, saw them out on the weekend of course, I did find one of the O405NH's that forum user Noel later went on to photograph hanging around in Clarence street on Saturday with a Yutong parked in front of it, was hoping for a photo of that O405NH but the Yutong was in the way of preventing me getting a clear shot and it was starting to get really dark so unfortunately didn't bother in the end.

Interestingly one of the State Transit tow trucks was hanging around the same time too, think it was registered CT33 or something and still had STA decals on the front and rear of it, I'll have to confirm the full registration later when I can find time to sort through the mass photos I took.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

Is this the thin edge of the wedge? Busways Northwest have quietly cancelled Route 543, a schooldays only service between West Ryde and Eastwood via a number of back streets. In its final form, the Route only operated as one return trip in each peak period. Perhaps the relocation of Marsden High to Meadowbank hastened the chop ? Route 544 (Auburn to Macquarie Centre via Everywhere) does duplicate part of the now gone Route 543 between Ermington Public School and Eastwood.
In a past life, Route 543 was known as Route 87 and operated hourly on weekdays and I think, provided a two hour service on Saturdays when the bus ran to Epping for a North Epping trip before ducking back down to Eastwood. Eastwood Bus Company, Commodore Coaches and North and Western are all known to have operated the former Route 87.

Maybe one of the group know more?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Was it really just a school bus with a route service number?

I remember it being 'rationalised' in North & Western's changes in July 1990 as it wasn't carrying much then.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It wasn't helped by the fact it was the only route that passed the main gates of the HS! It certainly served as a school bus for me many a time.
Marsden closed eh? This I find out after seeing the former Ryde Civic Centre has gone after going past Top Ryde for the first time in who knows when today on the 500x.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Special_K wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm Is this the thin edge of the wedge? Busways Northwest have quietly cancelled Route 543, a schooldays only service between West Ryde and Eastwood via a number of back streets...
TfNSW cancelled the service due to Marsden High School moving over to Meadowbank (new school on the old Meadowbank Boys HS site). Nothing to do with the operator changing from STA to Busways.

C :)
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

From a service coverage perspective, it is almost a kilometre between the Victoria Road Routes and the Route 544 twisted path along the Eastwood ridgeline. Does the 400 metre standard still apply for service coverage and planning purposes?

On an historical note, for many years, the afternoon school special from Marsden High School to Telopea Shops via Dundas Valley was operated by a Ryde double Deck bus, usually with the same driver and conductor. A certain 12 year old boy wrote an assignment on Ryde Depot Run Numbers and bus types and here we are, 57 years later...............
Swift

Post by Swift »

I am surprised to see a former M based driver (apart from me and one other I know of who is on the Y arctic roster last I heard) know so much about Eastwood and surrounds.
When I attended Marsden High 1986 -89 there was one windy route to West Ryde (544 being it's successor) via Marsden High and one to Carlingford. I recall two main drivers would rotate between the two routes during the week and so would two buses, one a Bedford centre entrance bus behind the driver and the other a regular forward entrance Perkins powered Bedford VAM with AOA for Lucky Lotteries.
Years later in the early 1990s I was surprised to see one of N&W's ex Adelaide Leyland Worldmasters (much older than the Bedfords!) coming into Eastwood on the West Ryde run, something unimaginable in my period at Marsden High.
Another time in the Early 90s I got on N&W's GM With Domino-Hedges bodywork and Allison auto. That made me like Detroits after that!
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

That's amazing that you also went to Marsden High although I was a good 20 years in front.It is interesting that there are three Marsden alumni who were STA drivers and later in their careers became bus service planners.How many other transport careers eminated from Marsden's hallowed halls?

Our family, being very local, provided 13 Marsden students across two generations over a 40 year period!
Swift

Post by Swift »

I was perusing Facebook a few years ago and discovered an older M driver had a student in my grade as a Facebook friend! This M driver shared the same surname as another former student in my grade. I often wondered if they were related somehow as the surname is not really that common.
I've also discovered an M office staff member having a neighbour of a friend of mine in Kingsford as a Facebook friend as well as a local real estate agent property manager here in Ettalong Beach having that same friend's sister as hers.
Nat

Post by Nat »

Swift wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:26 pm I am surprised to see a former M based driver (apart from me and one other I know of who is on the Y arctic roster last I heard) know so much about Eastwood and surrounds.
When I attended Marsden High 1986 -89 there was one windy route to West Ryde (544 being it's successor) via Marsden High and one to Carlingford. I recall two main drivers would rotate between the two routes during the week and so would two buses, one a Bedford centre entrance bus behind the driver and the other a regular forward entrance Perkins powered Bedford VAM with AOA for Lucky Lotteries.
Years later in the early 1990s I was surprised to see one of N&W's ex Adelaide Leyland Worldmasters (much older than the Bedfords!) coming into Eastwood on the West Ryde run, something unimaginable in my period at Marsden High.
Another time in the Early 90s I got on N&W's GM With Domino-Hedges bodywork and Allison auto. That made me like Detroits after that!

Whereas we at Malvina at the same time got Tigers if we were good. If not a Leopard.....

But 003 was a gem, apart from the poor turning circle.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

Strangely, even though Ryde Depot was just up the road from the former Malvina High, now Ryde Secondary College,I don't think it received any government bus school sevices until STA took over North and Western.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Special_K wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:35 pm Strangely, even though Ryde Depot was just up the road from the former Malvina High, now Ryde Secondary College,I don't think it received any government bus school sevices until STA took over North and Western.
Well yeah!! N&W did them!!
Geez I heard Malvina was a brutal school, a couple of students transferred to my HS after they were apparently getting bashed from what I heard, and Marsden was no boy's choir at the time, but obviously better as they did ok there, or at least not getting beaten up.

We got really punished when they kept putting on those slow noisy Bedford BLP buses with the Smithfield body and the skinny steering wheel after putting on Tigers regularly through 1987, including the lovely batch with air suspension!
A leopard would have felt like a treat to me at least!!

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”