Manly Ferry Services...

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Manly Ferry Services...

Post by boronia »

In Transit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:15 am
If there really was a conspiracy regarding loadings, surely the timetable would have Freshwaters departing Manly only just after an Emerald Class too - not at an even spacing. And if all those Freshwater enthusiasts are to be believed, people will line up and happily wait anyway - not just the extra five minutes but a whole hour - to catch a Freshwater instead of an Emerald, because it's the only decent way to experience a ferry on the harbour. That is, of course, if they haven't already decided not to visit Manly/Sydney/NSW/Australia because they might no longer have the option of a trip to Manly on a Freshwater.
Most of this "tourist traffic" they claim to depend on originates from Circular Quay, so it would seem the logical place to put it to the test; they can see what their choices are. With a fixed 15 minute departure it would be harder to differentiate. Coming back, tourists mightn't be as selective, just catch what ever comes next.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Linto63 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:34 am
tonyp wrote: Their main value now is as floating pork barrels.
No, until the problems with the Emeralds are sorted out, they will be doing much of the heavy lifting on the F1 service.
The intention was to completely remove the Freshwaters when the Emeralds were on line.

It is only through agitation from the locals (and serial protesters) that a couple are now going to be retained. This seems to be a form of pork-barrelling to me.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Which beckons the question, why the need for a third Freshwater ferry?
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Tourists don't really care. It's a ferry it's painted in the right colours and it's going to Manly.

For most others, I'd think the faster ferry is more ideal.

But as always a noisy minority.

I'd argue the hydrofoils were more iconic in their time.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Linto63 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:12 pm Which beckons the question, why the need for a third Freshwater ferry?
Pork barrelling comes to mind again
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Pork barrelling or just doing what the public (or at least the vocal public) want.

There certainly don't seem to be many voices calling for the immediate retirement of the type.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Currently only one vessel shown on Anytrip and that is the Collaroy running 14 minutes late n the 8.10am trip from Circular Quay so according to that there is at least one Freshwater ferry operating/
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Correction - it showed 1439 minutes late and on the return trip it is showing 1440 minutes late on the 8.50 am trip from Manly which does not show in the new timetable.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And since 4.51pm the Freshwater has also come into action according to Anytrip. A closer look at all trips from both he Collaroy and Freshwater show them as operating 1 day or 23 hours 59 minutes late. All very confusing.
No Emeralds shown.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

There is a Fresheater passing Fort Denison Circular Quay bound as I type this, spotted with my own peepers, so regardless of what Anytrip is or isn't saying, definitely one out there.
Ted

Post by Ted »

All emerald class ferry trips were cancelled today (MANLY Trips) and the 2 freshwater class ferries operated a 40 minute headway schedule.

If you want to see what is happening at Circular Quay https://webcamsydney.com/

Cheers
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Service was suspended earlier due to rough swells per Sydney Ferries twitter. Perhaps it is envisaged that modifying the Emeralds to be certified for heavy seas won't be a quick process, hence the decision to return the Narrabeen to service?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

This morning there was an alert that because of the swell, a 40 minute service would operate instead of the timetable 30 minutes ( but the latest timetable shows a 20 minute service). But this alert was gone by midday.
From when I looked first thing this morning until about 4 pm, Anytrip only showed the Collaroy as operating on a 40 minute turn around basis.

Then from the 4.10 trip from Circular Quay older Emerald Victor Chang has been shown as operating together with the Freshwater as from the 4.50 trip both operating on a 40 minute turnaround.

So if this restricted service is operating because of the swell, why is there an Emerald operating on it (as per Anytrip)?

PS as at 6.50pm the Collaroy has come back in place of the Victor Chang.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

https://www.northernbeachesreview.com.a ... E2ahX8Su4w

Manly Fast Ferry operator: NSW Government puts tender to market
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That throws a new light on things. So much for the theory that the Fast ferry service would cease.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:02 pm That throws a new light on things. So much for the theory that the Fast ferry service would cease.
Fast ferry charging higher fares competes with fast ferry charging lower fares, an interesting commercial scenario. I wonder which one commuters will use?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Maybe they are reconsidering the concept of low fare fast ferries. I can see Emerald masters getting sea-sick at the slightest hint of a swell and deciding it is "too dangerous to continue".
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Be interesting to see the responses they get.

Competing against a faster Sydney Ferries (although privately operated) that has access to Opal caps and transfers changes the game imho.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

tonyp wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:03 pm
Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:02 pm That throws a new light on things. So much for the theory that the Fast ferry service would cease.
Fast ferry charging higher fares competes with fast ferry charging lower fares, an interesting commercial scenario. I wonder which one commuters will use?
If the new operator wanted to compete they could chuck a hydrofoil or hovercraft onto the route :lol:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:43 pm And since 4.51pm the Freshwater has also come into action according to Anytrip. A closer look at all trips from both he Collaroy and Freshwater show them as operating 1 day or 23 hours 59 minutes late. All very confusing.
No Emeralds shown.
You've got me in the habit of checking the ferries! Balmoral and Catherine Hamlin running this morning. No Freshwaters.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And the Fairlight is the third one - it would have been laying over at Circular Quay at the time TonyP looked.
Looks like the new timetable is now in use and Anytrip is showing all three ferries in use.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Also during the day the Clontarf has been noted in operation - first time I have seen that while the Victor Chang did a couple of return trips but not consecutive ones.Appears that it relief of two of the other ferries.
And Anytrip seems to have tracked every trip. So that is an improvement.
PS The Fred Hollows has also just been noted as replacing the Catherine Hamblin.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

On Sydney Ferries Twitter there is mention of a further new summer timetable from 20 December but so far it is not on Transport Info.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Today's comments.
30 minutes from Circular Quay - 00 minutes from Many - Operated by Balmoral until 17.30 when I did not see the next return trip tracked and the 18.30 trip operated by the Fred Hollows.
50 minutes past the hour from Circular Quay - on the hour from Manly - Operated by the Catherine Hamblin until 16.50 when the next return trip was not tracked - The Catherine Hamblin returned at 17.50.
10 minutes from Circular Quay - 40 minutes from Manly. Operated by the Clontarf all day when I was monitoring but back tracking through Clontarf trips throughout some time I was out, it missed trips between 4pm at Circular Quay and 5.40 at Manly. I dont know whether those 3 trips were tracked or not.

So there still appear to be some glitches possibly in Anytrip.

Dont expect this sort of analysis every day.
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Do the vessels stop when their crews take meal breaks or do other crews take over?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”