Manly Ferry Services...

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
thunderbird

Re: Manly Ferry Services...

Post by thunderbird »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:21 pm As suggested two posts ago this thread should go back to Manly Ferries - the tram discussion is totally off topic.
I disagree.

It is on topic.

The discussion is comparing and contrasting other systems that have kept a heritage vehicle, similar to the Freshwater class being kept on the Manly route in a limited way.

I enjoyed another poster commenting a heritage tray should run on the light rail. It was I feel an apt comparison.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Reported elsewhere that Fairlight is in passenger service today.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:25 am Reported elsewhere that Fairlight is in passenger service today.
Doing a good job of it too, by the look of it.

In this heated debate about vessels being "unsuited" to the Manly run, absolutely nobody realises that right through the 19th century, small, narrow-beamed and often shallow-draft ferries were running the Manly service day in, day out in all weathers. The bows were only built up to main deck level, so they would have been pretty wet and rolled like a drunk after an all-night bender. The Freshwaters are pretty wet at the bow too, not as good a design as the PJMS 20th century boats.

Also, even fewer seem to realise that the main reason for suspending the service over the years was not the seas at the crossing of the heads, but the swell into Manly Cove which makes it difficult to berth and a major disadvantage of the big boats has always been that they would bash the bejusus out of the wharf in these conditions, so stopping the service was as much to prevent damage to the wharf as anything else. So much ignorant hot air blowing about on this one. The Mk 2 Emeralds will be fine.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Absolutely correct Tony. Just like those who keeping pointing out that smaller vessels couldn't possibly be suitable, ignoring the Manly Fast vessels, or indeed the many open water ferries which are smaller than the Freshwater. It's understandably an emotional debate, but facts are thin on the ground with a lot of incorrect assertions thrown around.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Back to day to day.
The timetable seems to have diverted to the old one with Collaroy having operated every 1 and half hours all day as normal.
Anytrip has shown as one of Victor Chang, Pemulwuy or Fairlight operating the second shift but nothing has shown all for day the third shift.
And when the newer ferries are operating they seem to take the same 30 minutes as the Collaroy with Anytrip showing them as operating on time as such.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Something similar today.
The Collaroy on whenever I watched.
The next trip operated by the Fred Hollows except for one return trip about 2pm by the Victor Chang.
And nothing for trips which formed the third trip of the Cycle in Anytrip.
Did not watch in the morning,
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Today no mention of the Collaroy with only one shift covered by Anytrip and this was operated by the Victor Chang earlier and the Fred Hollows later.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Much the same as yesterday with only one of the three rostered shifts shown on Anytrip = operated by Fairlight in the morning, Victor Chang early afternoon and Catherine Hamlin late afternoon.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Today in Anytrip one rostered shift was covered by the Freshwater another by Fairlight in the morning, Victor Chang early afternoon and Fred Hollows later afternoon but again nothing for the third one.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Saturday.
Again only one shift covered with the Fred Hollows in the morning, Catherine Hamlin in the early afternoon with the Fred Hollows back later in the afternoon.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Posted too early today

The Collaroy has appeared on the 5.30pm trip from Circular Quay.

And interestingly the Fred Hollows has departed 5 or 6 minutes late from Many on its last two trips and has caught up on time half way through the trips.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Today Sunday Collaroy all day on one shift.
I did not check any other shifts in the morning but thenCatherine Hamlin did the early afternoon on the second XXX with the Fred Hollows doing the lat after including two departures from Circular Quay from wharf 4 instead of wharf 3. Some pm trips on the second shifts carried Covid capacity loads from Manly according to Anytrip - It has some capacity on the just departed 6.45pm trip. Again nothing shown for the third shift.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Another Day much the same.
Collaroy on all day on one shift.
Fairlight started off the second shift with Victor Chang taking over at 9.30am and Fred Hollows from 3pm with the 6pm trip departing from wharf 4 instead of wharf 3 and getting to Manly 7 minutes early.
Nothing for the third shift on Anytrip.

BUT just after 11am a third F1 flag appeared. The third one was Supercat Susie O'Neill departing from Circular Quay a few minutes after the Collaroy and showing an arrival time over 30 minutes late at Manly. But it never got there. The Susie O'Neill went to Mosman and then returned to Circular Quay so Anytrip got it screwed up.

Unless there is something unusual I wont be doing a daily report after this.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

About 15 minutes after I posted the above, the Freshwater popped up as arriving at Manly in the third shift, which would be the 19.00 arrival and subsequent 19.15 departure and it has appeared in Antrip as such.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

This afternoon the 3pm trip from Circular Quay was the first I have seen Anytrip showing the Balmoral as operating that I am aware of.

Still having the other problems that I have previously reported.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

hings still seem to be different every day with AnyTrip = some better = some not so good.
Today two of the three shifts were shown with one covered by the Collaroy which had a break in the early afternoon with one return trip covered by one of the older Emeralds, the second shift covered by two different older Emeralds while the third shift has not appeared whenever I looked.= - probably the Freshwater.
On the Collaroy trip from Circular Quay to Manly by the Emerald, Anytrip showed it as "Service having reached capacity".
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

This morning there were two Emeralds operating on the Manly run May Gibbs and Victor Chang, and the Collaroy as usual.
This afternoon two ferries have been shown on Anytrip, The Collaroy and the Fairlight with the latter finishing at Manly at 5pm with the 5.15 return trip operated by the Victor Chang which had operated empty from Circular Quay. The Fairlight returned empty to Circular Quay after which it operated an F4 trip to Pyrmont Bay - I thought this was to be specially allocated to the Manly run. Also Anytrip showed this trip as supposed to depart from Circular Quay at 5.07pm - 7 minutes after it arrived at Manly, and as operating 60 minutes late. But just before it got to Barangaroo it was changed as running on time
I have not seen the Balmoral after its one return trip last Wednesday.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6066246
Incident activity

Ongoing - Today, 11:55pm

Details
Buses are replacing some ferry services due to adverse weather conditions.

The following services will be replaced by bus:

12:45pm Manly to Circular Quay
1:30pm Circular Quay to Manly
2:15pm Manly to Circular Quay
3pm Circular Quay to Manly
3:45pm Manly to Ciruclar Quay
4:30pm Circular Quay to Manly
5:15pm Manly to Ciruclar Quay
6pm Circular Quay to Manly
6:45pm Manly to Circular Quay
7:25pm Circular Quay to Manly
8:05pm Manly to Circular Quay
9:30pm Circular Quay to Manly
10:15pm Manly to Circular Quay
11pm Circular Quay to Manly
11:40pm Manly to Circular Quay
The trips cancelled are those which would have been scheduled to be operated by the Fairlight or one of the earlier Emeralds.
It is noticed the 1pm trip from Circular Quay is being operated by the Collaroy at full Ovid Capacity.
I think the 2pm trip and those every 1 1/2 hours after that which are not listed above are grenerally not listed on Anytrip as for the last couple of days the third in the cycle is not shown - probably one of the Freshwaters as these trips are not cancelled.
Living in the Shire.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Appears that Manly Fast Ferry services aren’t cancelled despite previous discussion about their operation on the same route and their smaller size. Perhaps it’s a centre of gravity issue? Of course I have little knowledge of physics so can’t say for sure, but there may be more than weather here.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Would this be the first ferry replacement service by Keolis Downer or would it still be operated by State Authority region 9?
Living in the Shire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

The opposition transport spokesperson Jo Haylen is getting a lot of political capital out of the cancellation of Emerald Mk II services at 2/2.5m of swell when they're supposed to be good up to 4.5m. But apparently the reason is they haven't been tested/trialled at these larger swells yet. I realise that arranging testing is difficult since you can't predict too far in advance when such swells will be present, but I struggle to understand why they removed the Freshwaters from service before the Emerald Mk II's were fully certified and tested? I'm someone who hasn't been overly critical of the withdraw of Narrabeen and Queenscliff, as I understand that technology has to move along and saving money is important, but TfNSW and Transdev don't seem to be doing themselves any favours with this kind of thing.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The Narrabeen and Queenscliff may have run out of hours / miles before major work was required, having already been kept in service for several months after their scheduled withdrawal date.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jpp42 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:12 pm The opposition transport spokesperson Jo Haylen is getting a lot of political capital out of the cancellation of Emerald Mk II services at 2/2.5m of swell when they're supposed to be good up to 4.5m. But apparently the reason is they haven't been tested/trialled at these larger swells yet. I realise that arranging testing is difficult since you can't predict too far in advance when such swells will be present, but I struggle to understand why they removed the Freshwaters from service before the Emerald Mk II's were fully certified and tested? I'm someone who hasn't been overly critical of the withdraw of Narrabeen and Queenscliff, as I understand that technology has to move along and saving money is important, but TfNSW and Transdev don't seem to be doing themselves any favours with this kind of thing.
Another case of a good story getting in the way of the facts. But I agree they did themselves no PR favours running the boat in live passenger service before the full certification process was complete. What were they thinking?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Probably just need to get some mileage/hours up "under warranty" rather than having to wait for the full test.
Same as the new River Cats are getting up hours on inner harbour services until the bridges get raised (or they put a gate on the stairs)
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
bussie

Post by bussie »

Surely this looks ok to TNSW:
https://www.facebook.com/FerriesOfSydne ... 6366666311

(This was before it was taken out of service).

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”