Change of Transport Minister

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: Imminent Change of Minister

Post by Linto63 »

Transtopic wrote: If he retains Transport, then he might have the opportunity to push for a Northern Beaches Rail Link.
Won't happen, all electorates are rock solid Liberal allowing funding to be concentrated on more marginal electorates.
iamthouth wrote: With his background in planning, I think he could do well as a Transport Minister. With the new Treasurer being ex-Environment Minister, I hope he fill find funding for Zero Emission Buses as well.
Although the new premier is a climate change denier.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Maybe the new Transport Minister from the Northern Beaches can appreciate how well bendy buses have served his region and reverse his predecessors utterly ridiculous pledge to phase them out / never buy any more new ones. Only state in Australia to do such a thing, one size fits all just doesn’t work
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Update: Police minister David Elliott will be new transport minister, Sports minister Natalie Ward will be new metropolitan roads minister, and Nationals Sam Farraway will be new regional transport and roads minister.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
Jurassic_Joke

Re: Inner West Light Rail observations

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

tonyp wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:03 pm
Fleet Lists wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:26 pm We need to be more specific - I think the change in minister contributes towards this as he together Howard Collins appear to be more down to earth compared with Constance who had big ideas but generally could not deliver them.
I have the impression that Stokes doesn't like situations to fester and tells TfNSW to find a solution now. Pity he won't remain in the portfolio.
Yep, Stokes won’t be the Transport Minister anymore, the Premiers new cabinet is out. I liked Stokes, he seemed like a likeable guy and I would agree with someone else him and Howard Collins came off very well together in press conferences - new minister will be the current Police Minister David Elliott instead

I’m guessing Perrotett felt that Stokes underperformed and/or wasn’t the right man for the job, for example eg, maybe not pleased it took him over a month to agree to trial Citadis trams for IWLR as a replacement after initially refusing to do so which was found to be successful rather than those pesky replacement buses for however long repairs would take - something which would’ve haunted the government all the way till next election. I also note in the face of these disruptive train strikes Stokes seemed to be pretty soft/apathetic on the Rail Union which is probably a no-no for a Liberal Gov, Constance was a lot tougher on them and I can see Elliott being the same
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Change of Transport Minister

Post by Fleet Lists »

Please keep the discussion constructive - one post has been removed.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I guess Rob came off as too Labor in style. Dave will certainly not.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I think Stokes was only meant to be temporary pending the reshufffle.

Elliot is just Transport, not Roads anymore. But Regional Transport and Roads is still combined.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Who has taken over Roads?
Living in the Shire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Fleet Lists wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:19 pm Who has taken over Roads?
Anthony Roberts.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Perhaps Elliot may seen as a better suited alternative potential Premier than the current's rival based on our Transport Min -> Premier theory as discussed earlier

Also am I too optimistic that BASIC footpath provision will become a reality with a Minister of Active Transport championing new bike lanes and footpaths?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fou ... 59j2y.html
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Aurora wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:27 pm
Fleet Lists wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:19 pm Who has taken over Roads?
Anthony Roberts.
marcnut1996 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:16 am Update: Police minister David Elliott will be new transport minister, Sports minister Natalie Ward will be new metropolitan roads minister, and Nationals Sam Farraway will be new regional transport and roads minister.
How did all of you miss my earlier post? Roads is now taken over by Natalie Ward, not Anthony Roberts.
https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/pe ... 219-p59iu3
https://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/ ... w-cabinet/

EDIT: I realised Aurora may have quoted Anthony Roberts from ABC News, which was incorrect. Official link: https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/e ... er-for-nsw
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Yes I did, thanks.
M 5885.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

We also now have a "Ministry for Active Transport", with Stokes in charge.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fou ... 59j2y.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

NSW will have a new transport minister in March regardless of the outcome of the election with David Elliott not to contest the 2023 election.

Divisive NSW Minister David Elliott to quit state politics (Sydney Morning Herald)
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Just when I started to like the bloke. He probably knows a sinking ship.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

In some ways I'm disappointed David Elliott is retiring, because he was the one government minister who made some headway in the negotiations with the RTBU over the dispute with regard to the Enterprise Agreement and the NIF safety issues. Unfortunately he was white-anted by factional opponents Kean and Tudehope and ultimately being forced to toe the party line by Perrottet. He could have nominated for the seat of Kellyville, which replaces his existing seat of Baulkham Hills, but with changed boundaries. I suspect that he'd had enough of the factional infighting and decided to call it quits.

It always seemed strange to me that the left faction of the Liberal Party are allies with the conservative right faction against the centre right. They would appear to be diametrically opposed. Perhaps it is because of the divisive Alex Hawke who is the dominant player in the latter.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Transtopic wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:57 pm In some ways I'm disappointed David Elliott is retiring, because he was the one government minister who made some headway in the negotiations with the RTBU over the dispute with regard to the Enterprise Agreement and the NIF safety issues. Unfortunately he was white-anted by factional opponents Kean and Tudehope and ultimately being forced to toe the party line by Perrottet. He could have nominated for the seat of Kellyville, which replaces his existing seat of Baulkham Hills, but with changed boundaries. I suspect that he'd had enough of the factional infighting and decided to call it quits.

It always seemed strange to me that the left faction of the Liberal Party are allies with the conservative right faction against the centre right. They would appear to be diametrically opposed. Perhaps it is because of the divisive Alex Hawke who is the dominant player in the latter.
Dom has to be carful that he doesn't get on the wrong side of his brother Charlie. He has a lot of power inside the Liberal party when it comes to seat pre selections
eddy

Post by eddy »

I just hope they try to get the trucks on the toll roads which are built stronger than have them in these hard times wrecking the backroads because they are so desperate.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

eddy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:00 am I just hope they try to get the trucks on the toll roads which are built stronger than have them in these hard times wrecking the backroads because they are so desperate.
Getting trucks to used the same roads that the toll operator charge about $10 to $15 in each direction multiple times a day that sees a truck driver easily rack up a toll bill of $300+ a day would be a hard sale
eddy

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:43 am
eddy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:00 am I just hope they try to get the trucks on the toll roads which are built stronger than have them in these hard times wrecking the backroads because they are so desperate.
Getting trucks to used the same roads that the toll operator charge about $10 to $15 in each direction multiple times a day that sees a truck driver easily rack up a toll bill of $300+ a day would be a hard sale
In the big picture car drivers get Toll relief where trucks do not https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transact ... ligibility

While this gets more votes the consumer pays more in prices at shops and backroad repair but not many people are aware of this.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

It is obvious the CPI increases have been a terrible deal for the state. Effectively free money for the toll road operators considering how prohibitively expensive the system is becoming for motorists as the years pass. The fact any sort of “toll relief” is required proves the point.
M 5885.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Aurora wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:55 am It is obvious the CPI increases have been a terrible deal for the state. Effectively free money for the toll road operators considering how prohibitively expensive the system is becoming for motorists as the years pass. The fact any sort of “toll relief” is required proves the point.
Evidently it is costing $50m to fix regional roads but I am sure it would cost a similar amount fixing up city backroads.
eddy

Post by eddy »

With a new transport minister we may make electric bikes etc. plus some backroads where cars have to giveway to everybody plus the Trailerbus https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... top-button

On another forum https://www.railpage.com.au/f-p2270281.htm#2270281
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The latest post here has been moved to viewtopic.php?t=93043 where it appears more fact in that thread while in this thread it was purely speculation.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Having managed to weather the storm over the appointment of her departmental secretary, the transport minister is back in the headlines after a TfNSW employee on secondment to her office was found to be doing political work in contravention of the rules. Her chief of staff has taken one for the team and walked, but will it be enough?

Faith in all my ministers: Minns backs Haylen as pressure mounts over staffing scandal (Sydney Morning Herald)

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”