Tap and Pay for buses

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: Tap and Pay for buses

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

With the aim of making public transport simpler, safer and easier to use, we’re updating our ticketing system in stages.

We started with a ‘pilot’ stage, when we introduced tap and pay on trams so you could pay with Visa, Mastercard or your smart device.

Now, we’re in the second stage of the upgrade, which means we’re replacing the end-of-life validators on trams and O-Bahn buses with smart validators.

At first, the smart validators will only accept metroCARDs. From mid-2022, they’ll accept metroCARDs plus Visa and Mastercard payments.

During this stage of the upgrade, there will be different types of validators available on board.

O-Bahn buses will accept metroCARD and MetroTicket payments.
Trams will accept metroCARD, MetroTicket and credit card payments (Visa and Mastercard).
You will still be able to validate a paper MetroTicket on all Adelaide Metro vehicles (but you cannot purchase MetroTickets on board buses, which are cashless).
You will still be able to tap and pay with your Visa or Mastercard on trams, as the existing Tap and Pay pilot validator will stay where it is.
If you choose to pay for your tram fare with a Visa or MasterCard, you will be charged for one regular metroCARD fare (peak or off-peak) and can transfer between trams for two hours.

If you need to transfer to a different service, or travel with a concession fare, tap and pay may not be your best fare option. Use our fare finder to learn more about Adelaide Metro fares or call the Adelaide Metro InfoLine on 1300 311 108 (open 7am-8pm daily) for more information.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about ... bahn_buses

Interesting they’re talking about “end of life” validators considering the previous Crozet system was used for about 25 years (198?-2013). These haven’t even reached 10 years yet!
Also, if we were going by validator age would the hills buses not be first? I recall these being the trail buses for the new (current) system.

I would also have thought having validators with credit card capabilities, but not “switching it on” until mid-year will only serve to confuse people?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Lieselta

Re: Tap and Pay for buses

Post by Lieselta »

I would also have thought having validators with credit card capabilities, but not “switching it on” until mid-year will only serve to confuse people?
Confusing people is SAPTA's greatest skill. I'd love to see the day we get a customer experience that isnt fractured, and it seems even this implementation of contactless payment will be half-baked.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”