Sydney’s public transport growing back differently post-pandemic

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Sydney’s public transport growing back differently post-pandemic

Post by Swift »

Some just want to see their face there because they're used to it and can't comprehend they can oftentimes be more productive without having to travel to the workplace.
They also can't control them as easily if they're physically away from them. I believe some simply can't stand the thought that they benefit in any way by not having to leave home so they make them come in for the sake of it.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Glen

Post by Glen »

In the end I'm sure there will be a balance.

You just can't bounce ideas off people on Zoom like you can in person, if that's the sort of job you do.
mubd

Post by mubd »

All PT is now operating to a Sunday timetable from tomorrow morning due to the outbreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mXOQH5e3M
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

mubd wrote:All PT is now operating to a Sunday timetable from tomorrow morning due to the outbreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mXOQH5e3M
This will just make it harder for those who have to work still.

This means many bus routes will be suspended for 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-A207F using Tapatalk

BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Bjwh86 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:38 pmThis will just make it harder for those who have to work still.

This means many bus routes will be suspended for 2 weeks.
Just for two weeks? That might be what the government says, but based on how everything else with this outbreak has dragged on, the most appropriate terminology would be "until further notice" ;)

The baseline 7 day network coverage in Sydney is quite good these days, but there has to be a few areas without a 7 day service that will be unserviced as of tomorrow. Can anybody think of any good examples?

I can think of some areas on the outer fringe that will have their services extremely curtailed on an indefinite basis from this. For example, the town of Warragamba loses it's route 32 to Camden (does not run on a Sunday timetable), and is left with just 2 trips per day on route 795 to Penrith, with the first bus of the day at 10:43am, making the service close to useless for any essential workers.

Another example from region 1 would be the suburb of North Richmond, which is large enough to have a shopping centre with Coles and ALDI stores, but will be reduced to 5 trips per day on routes 668/680/682, with a 4.5 hour gap in the middle of the day and the last bus of the day leaving Richmond at 4:14pm.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Route 972 which operates between Miranda and Southgate and which is the only route which which passes where I live, will not be operating.
Living in the Shire.
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Routes 723, 738 and 835 will not be running which service the Eastern creek industrial area.

724 is limited to running half of it's route so huntingwood industrial area is not serviced.

J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Curiously, a number of runs in the Eastern Beaches actually operate more frequently on a Sunday than weekday off peak. For example Route 353 between Bondi Junction and Eastgardens runs every 15 minutes during the day on Sundays compared to half hourly on weekdays and Route 381 between Bondi Junction and Tamarama runs every half hour instead of every 40 minutes.

I guess this will serve to highlight areas where there is inadequate Sunday service at present. I'd hazard a guess that most areas that will be left worse off will be in the Western Suburbs, as B-Line, 333, 373 and 400 commuters in the North and East will all retain their high frequency services whilst essential workers in Western Sydney could be left stranded...
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Or parts of Sydney where there is still no service on Sunday.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The solution to the problem of no Sunday services is instead running a 'Modified Sunday Timetable', where Sunday timetables are the general mode of operation of a network, and areas in need of a bus (but lacking Sunday service) might run to a Saturday timetable, or a some other basic arrangement to plug the gaps in coverage. This is exactly what was done over in Perth during last year's April lockdown, and was expected to be the arrangement for any prolonged lockdowns in the future.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I have a friend who can't get to work now (in an essential job) because Sunday timetable doesn't start until 8:30 and she starts at 7. She's okay with reduced frequency but regular weekday hours still need to be covered. I do hope they reconsider this...she will be forced to Uber to the nearest major bus route (or all the way to work), which is also a risk in a pandemic.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Maybe they should have what's called an extended Sunday timetable where they tack on extra hourly services at the beginning and end where required. Very difficult though. Maybe treat the extensions as voluntary overtime.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I think this would have all been decided at quite short notice.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

All light rail lines, L1, L2 and L3 are only running on a frequency of 3x an hour each, or more simply, every 20 minutes. That’s no Sunday timetable, it’s worse, they’ve gone and cut further. In the case of the CSELR lines, that’s a cut of more than 50% if you factor in that the weekday daytime frequency is every 8 mins each for both L2 & L3.

I don’t know what’s the precise root cause of the cut timetable but if it’s purely cost cutting, then I think they should’ve looked at the NightRide network as the first to go. Almost no one will be using those services under the current circumstances and they have far higher operating costs than regular bus services. I think I remember Melbourne suspended it’s Night Network Overnight services during the peak of their second wave lockdown last year
Swift

Post by Swift »

Melbourne is more proactive. Sydney is a very reactionary town.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Trip View seems to be showing L1 running every ten minutes if it can be believed.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:46 pm All light rail lines, L1, L2 and L3 are only running on a frequency of 3x an hour each, or more simply, every 20 minutes. That’s no Sunday timetable, it’s worse, they’ve gone and cut further. In the case of the CSELR lines, that’s a cut of more than 50% if you factor in that the weekday daytime frequency is every 8 mins each for both L2 & L3.

I don’t know what’s the precise root cause of the cut timetable but if it’s purely cost cutting, then I think they should’ve looked at the NightRide network as the first to go. Almost no one will be using those services under the current circumstances and they have far higher operating costs than regular bus services. I think I remember Melbourne suspended it’s Night Network Overnight services during the peak of their second wave lockdown last year
Currently TripView is showing most services as "unscheduled" and they seem to be adding/cancelling services a couple of hours ahead. The is nothing showing on L3 between around 17:00 and 19:00 when it reverts to the normal 10 minute frequency.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

They're trying to reduce the number of staff from the high-risk areas coming in to work. Some of them already have to self-isolate due to visiting exposure sites, reducing the number of staff available.

This hopefully will also lower the risk of depots or stations becoming exposure sites and forcing all staff there to isolate, or worse contracting the virus.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: I don’t know what’s the precise root cause of the cut timetable but if it’s purely cost cutting...
Not sure if you noticed, but there is a citywide lockdown on, so very few people are using public transport, in percentage terms it would be low single digits compared to a month ago.
Jurassic_Joke wrote: I think they should’ve looked at the NightRide network as the first to go. Almost no one will be using those services under the current circumstances and they have far higher operating costs than regular bus services. I think I remember Melbourne suspended it’s Night Network Overnight services during the peak of their second wave lockdown last year.
Melbourne's night network operates on Fridays and Saturdays only primarily to ferry drunks only. Sydney's operates seven days a week and provides a means of transport for those working odd hours, although admittedly there will be few of these at the moment. Melbourne also had a curfew.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Light rail is definitely every 20 minutes for all three lines as advised in the alert below, its just real time hasn’t been correctly updated

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6063783
Sydney light rail services are operating a reduced service, running every 20 minutes.

Linto63 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:37 pm
Jurassic_Joke wrote: I don’t know what’s the precise root cause of the cut timetable but if it’s purely cost cutting...
Not sure if you noticed, but there is a citywide lockdown on, so very few people are using public transport, in percentage terms it would be low single digits compared to a month ago.
Jurassic_Joke wrote: I think they should’ve looked at the NightRide network as the first to go. Almost no one will be using those services under the current circumstances and they have far higher operating costs than regular bus services. I think I remember Melbourne suspended it’s Night Network Overnight services during the peak of their second wave lockdown last year.
Melbourne's night network operates on Fridays and Saturdays only primarily to ferry drunks only. Sydney's operates seven days a week and provides a means of transport for those working odd hours, although admittedly there will be few of these at the moment. Melbourne also had a curfew.
Yes and I’m not sure if you remember , but in our initial nationwide lockdown last year, we didn’t have any reduction in public transport services despite similar steep drops in patronage, with the exception of L1 overnight services getting suspended, which never reverted back over a year onwards. To introduce the new measure in the more recent lockdown so suddenly, of course, I’ll be curious what exactly gave them a change of heart this time around. I don’t deny it’s the right thing to do, I can imagine such revenue losses wouldn’t be sustainable - just curious.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:31 pm
Yes and I’m not sure if you remember , but in our initial nationwide lockdown last year, we didn’t have any reduction in public transport services despite similar steep drops in patronage, with the exception of L1 overnight services getting suspended, which never reverted back over a year onwards. To introduce the new measure in the more recent lockdown so suddenly, of course, I’ll be curious what exactly gave them a change of heart this time around. I don’t deny it’s the right thing to do, I can imagine such revenue losses wouldn’t be sustainable - just curious.
I think the answer to your question lies here:
Qantas94Heavy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:18 pm They're trying to reduce the number of staff from the high-risk areas coming in to work. Some of them already have to self-isolate due to visiting exposure sites, reducing the number of staff available.

This hopefully will also lower the risk of depots or stations becoming exposure sites and forcing all staff there to isolate, or worse contracting the virus.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Busways seems to be running the route 723 as an on demand service today, not sure about how it works but it was running from blacktown this morning but no times for this route on the sunday timetable

Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Following issues with capacity, Sydney Metro train services in the morning/afternoon peak have been increased to every 10 minutes instead of every 20 minutes. Services at other times remain every 20 minutes.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Item on Seven News last night on people being, stranded by the Sunday timetables and less services leading to people being crammed into services or not being able board at all. They are now having to scrap that idea.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Swift wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:32 pm They are now having to scrap that idea.
Are you referring to just the Metro, or are there changes to timetables on other services? I saw some complaints on Reddit about crowding at Town Hall platforms.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”