Private Bus Observations 2021

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: Private Bus Observations 2021

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I mean I can already name some negatives that have happened when essentially the "keys" have been turned over so to speak, I won't go highly into detail but when Keolis Downer took over the Newcastle STA operations I won't hide the fact fleet presentation went down hill, literally. Their buses are being left to deteriorate and its clear they sadly don't care anymore, there's buses with grunts & high noise issues (I get they all make noise but it is definitely louder than what they should be) and they've given up on dealing with Graffiti & vandalism, every time I ride their buses It is just disgusting and gritty yet I can ride a Hunter Valley Bus or Rover Coaches bus and their as clean as a whistle.

Is it as bad as others are describing? No but it is evidence that eventually they give up trying to do anything beneficial. They've now got their little region 8 and they'll toy around with new ideas for a while but then it'll be business as usual and any improvements will be minor & far at best. What is the next step for improvements for Newcastle Transport? One doesn't know because KD isn't communicating anything with the public and if they do it is only after it has been done & dusted not giving residents a say in the changes.

Anyway I've gone way off topic for this thread, I just wanted to put my point out there too.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:42 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:25 pm
Unfortunately this has had to happen in Perth
Fortunately This has had to happen in Perth

There, fixed! :wink:

And bus people keep wondering why everybody talks about the need for trams.
In terms of passenger outcomes, for sure.

In the context of privatisation, specifically the argument that private operators bring innovation and a more "customer focused" attitude to service delivery, I think "unfortunately" is still 100% correct. If such a good operator can't take the initiative to resolve chronic overcrowding while persisting with wasteful usage of a valuable asset elsewhere on their network, it certainly makes me ask questions.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Interesting to see AAT Kings & Murrays on tram replacement
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Great accessibility. I hope we have some actual buses as well.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

see viewtopic.php?t=92191 and
viewtopic.php?t=92192
It seems to be mainly coaches
Living in the Shire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Swift wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:09 pm Great accessibility. I hope we have some actual buses as well.
Couldn't have happened at a worse time, there's nothing much that Transdev can do now since school has resumed except provide these coaches.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Merc1107 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:35 am
tonyp wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:42 pm
Fortunately This has had to happen in Perth

There, fixed! :wink:

And bus people keep wondering why everybody talks about the need for trams.
In terms of passenger outcomes, for sure.

In the context of privatisation, specifically the argument that private operators bring innovation and a more "customer focused" attitude to service delivery, I think "unfortunately" is still 100% correct. If such a good operator can't take the initiative to resolve chronic overcrowding while persisting with wasteful usage of a valuable asset elsewhere on their network, it certainly makes me ask questions.
I completely agree with Merc1107 - it was a fundamental failure of both the operators and the PTA that it took so long for this basic concept of matching high capacity buses to high demand situations to be intelligently applied (some operators in the past were better at it than others - at various times). It goes to prove that the single biggest determinant of success of a PT network is the quality of the agency responsible for it. TfNSW is still yet to understand some of those fundamentals, hampered by their institutional lack of background in operations and frontline delivery of bus services. Operators tend to find their level in a contract commensurate with the expectations of the government authority - of course some will always be better and some will always be worse, but in general a good PTA will pull up operator's standards (and tend to both enable and select the better operators), and vice versa.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

In the modern operational contracting system with the standards and procedures tightly controlled by the government transport agency and not a lot of leeway for the operator, it's essential that the agency is highly competent. Differences between the various states are certainly visible in some of the outcomes. Perhaps agencies should be recruiting or engaging more people with practical frontline experience (if they can stand the frustrations of working with the public service). I think the larger states also suffer a bit from the byzantine bureaucracy syndrome.

As an example, do operators still have to get permission from TfNSW to deploy an artic (where they aren't normally deployed) in a weekend if demand suddenly surges? This came up as a question on this board a few years back I recall. In days of yore, government agencies didn't generally need to pull up an operator's standards, the operators were very capable of setting high standards themselves simply out of natural commercial motivation. Nowadays, the operators are locked in a straightjacket and I suspect that introduces a bit of apathy. Tight profit margins as a result of paring everything down to win a contract aren't a great incentive either.
Swift

Post by Swift »

A convenient system for passing the buck when things go wrong at the passenger end.
I got that treatment when I tried years ago to get to the bottom of a supposed end to demarcation of services along a trunk shared by two operators.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The former Longueville Motor Bus Company depot on Northwood Road, Longueville is in the process of being demolished to make way for a retirement village> Probably was one of the last fully enclosed bus depots in Sydney, the former Pioneer Coaches depot in Forest Road, Bexley being the only other survivor I can think of.
Swift

Post by Swift »

What was on it recently?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

According to Google Maps, Longueville depot was occupied by a wedding planner, Pioneer depot is used by Avis Car & Truck Rentals.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

One of Pykes Tours fully enclosed depots at 58-62 Baptist Rd, Redfern still exists and is now occupied by Centennial Park Auto Repairs. When I dropped in there many years ago now, they had a photo display of the building when used by Pykes and some of their vehicles.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Checking fleet-lists shows a new Volvo B8R Irizar yet to be delivered to Busways Heatherbrae, I assume this will be the replacement for the one that was destroyed by fire earlier this year?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Another type of electric bus wrap for it? Who ever is coming up with these must sure really love their position.

Now I do wonder if much like the TransportNSW Livery, if operators obtaining E-Buses from the state government will be required to have a state mandated electric bus wraps or can go for their own if they much choose to do so? This may seem like a dumb thought to throw out there but worth asking since TNSW livery is already a long term thing. Can't imagine E-Buses not having their own form of mandated wrap / livery.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Bathurst is not in the area covered by the NSW livery hence they can have a different livery. I suspect the livery seen on Sydney on electric buses which are not demonstrators has been adopted as the standard livery fore such buses.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Electric buses appear to be painted in TfNSW colours with the bright blue vinyls applied on top, indicating that once the novelty wears off, the vinyls will be removed.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 pm Another type of electric bus wrap for it? Who ever is coming up with these must sure really love their position.

Now I do wonder if much like the TransportNSW Livery, if operators obtaining E-Buses from the state government will be required to have a state mandated electric bus wraps or can go for their own if they much choose to do so? This may seem like a dumb thought to throw out there but worth asking since TNSW livery is already a long term thing. Can't imagine E-Buses not having their own form of mandated wrap / livery.
At least both this and the opium poppy wrap mostly stay clear of the windows, unlike the horror wrap inflicted on Queensland electric buses.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Any idea what's happened to Busways 7012 I've not seen it in service since 5000 and 5001 arrived? Will it become a Busways bus or go back to Custom Denning as didn't Busways order 7?

Cdc St Marys 5625 has become a regular in Penrith on weekdays I don't know what contract its running but it's a regular frequent visitor these days.

Mulgrave appear to have more and more work lately in Penrith as the Nsw liveried Custom Mercs are becoming extremely common sight in Penrith. Appears to be extra 774 and 776 that they didn't operate Pre lockdown and they even operate some 774 Late shifts with Glendenning appearing to have a few late 770 trips

One of the Busways Custom Mercedes in the 262-279 batch grounded out on a roundabout after a missed turn on a 770 Mt Druitt bound before then hitting the grass on the opposite kerb and tearing a big divot into the turf there.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:23 pm Any idea what's happened to Busways 7012 I've not seen it in service since 5000 and 5001 arrived? Will it become a Busways bus or go back to Custom Denning as didn't Busways order 7?

Cdc St Marys 5625 has become a regular in Penrith on weekdays I don't know what contract its running but it's a regular frequent visitor these days.

Mulgrave appear to have more and more work lately in Penrith as the Nsw liveried Custom Mercs are becoming extremely common sight in Penrith. Appears to be extra 774 and 776 that they didn't operate Pre lockdown and they even operate some 774 Late shifts with Glendenning appearing to have a few late 770 trips

One of the Busways Custom Mercedes in the 262-279 batch grounded out on a roundabout after a missed turn on a 770 Mt Druitt bound before then hitting the grass on the opposite kerb and tearing a big divot into the turf there.
Busways might have sent 7012 upto the Central Coast so their OMSBSC region 6 depots can try it out
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:23 pm Any idea what's happened to Busways 7012 I've not seen it in service since 5000 and 5001 arrived? Will it become a Busways bus or go back to Custom Denning as didn't Busways order 7?
My understanding is that 7012 was a demonstrator, and has been returned to Custom Denning.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Keolis Downer Northern Beaches buses are being fitted with the same black 'Proudly operated by Keolis Downer' roofline stickers as carried by Newcastle Transport buses.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Double decker in Penrith. One of the open top buses from the city TV8178 was on the Penrith Grand Final parade today in Penrith adorned with Oak Plus banners I think this is the 2nd time one has visited Penrith as one was here on a Triple M promotional show with Matty Johns on board back when Triple M was worth listening to if my memory is correct?

501 and 555 where both operating out in Penrith on Friday along Mulgoa Road at approximately 2:40pm does anyone have 501s new Registration? Are they both Mulgrave buses now or at Penrith?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I'm unsure whether to post this in the Opal thread or here but as this has more so to do with Private operators, I'll post here instead.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/opa ... 59ar4.html

Opal machines will be turned off for today only In Sydney Regions 3 & 6 (Transit Systems I believe) and reason being an industrial dispute.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”