Custom Denning Discussion / Observations

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Custom Denning Discussion / Observations

Post by 385BUZ »

I thought I would create these threads for discussion and observations of the body builders in Australia as there is currently no particular place for this.
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
385BUZ

Re: Custom Denning Discussion / Observations

Post by 385BUZ »

Regards,
385BUZ

Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Great idea with this thread!
Looking forward to the Custom Denning/Element buses starting to be trialled by various operators in Sydney soon, probably next year. :)
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
385BUZ

Post by 385BUZ »

Thanks 🙂.

The Element is supposed to be available for delivery to operators march next year. There is already a prototype on road trials.
Regards,
385BUZ

385BUZ

Post by 385BUZ »

Regards,
385BUZ

eddy

Post by eddy »

I had a ride up the back of a Custom/Scania yesterday and I can understand why buses get such a bad rap even though he was a good driver.

It was so noisy there was no way you could talk if you wanted.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Unlike that other alleged 'brand', there's little risk of one's head interacting with the panels at the top of the bus.

I do my best not to sit at the back. But when the ride quality level gets well below zero, that's basically the only option I have to survive the ordeal. I'd appreciate if 'Custom' addressed the obvious flaws with their bodies in lieu of ignoring them. That jackpot next stop tone is way too loud, and unacceptable!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

TA3001 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:41 pm Unlike that other alleged 'brand', there's little risk of one's head interacting with the panels at the top of the b

I do my best not to sit at the back. But when the ride quality level gets well below zero, that's basically the only option I have to survive the ordeal. I'd appreciate if 'Custom' addressed the obvious flaws with their bodies in lieu of ignoring them. That jackpot next stop tone is way too loud, and unacceptable!
The modern citybus body is designed as low floor to make it accessible and they also try to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible, so there is a limit on the body height. The problem is not that the ceiling is too low - clearly it isn't when you're in the low-floor area - but the floor is too high. Agencies and operators don't buy the right chassis, so they inevitably end up with a clearance problem at the back of bus (or most of the way along it in the case of a Combo artic). They should be checking the floor to ceiling measurement of their chassis before they go ahead with the order.

This Volgren bus doesn't have a problem with head clearance and climbing into the back row you wouldn't really be standing up anyway.

grenda.jpg
grenda.jpg (111.2 KiB) Viewed 10973 times
So you may be comparing different chassis rather than simply Volgren vs Custom body which probably have very similar overall dimensions. Some low-entry (high-floor) chassis are worse than others but I've never tried to survey them to find the worst offenders. I would have thought that would be the agency/operator's job. Ensuring that your passengers can move along the bus without stooping or thumping their head on the ceiling would be, I thought. a basic requirement that any fleet manager has a duty to ensure.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

An advertisement for their products on the back cover of the latest ABC magazine includes an image of an all white, single door Endeavour vehicle that appears to be on a 'midi' chassis.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Other previous discussion on Custom Denning Element here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91217&start=25

Perhaps should be brought over here mods?

Likewise thread on Volgren Volvo electric bus merged into Volgren Discussion?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90831
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Element is now certified and ready for orders with deliveries from May.

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... r-approved
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Expect an article in ABC magazine this week. The interior is fantastic.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

If they publish an article online on their website, I'll be taking a look for sure as It'll be as close as I'll get to the Denning element for the foreseeable future.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:22 am If they publish an article online on their website, I'll be taking a look for sure as It'll be as close as I'll get to the Denning element for the foreseeable future.
Yes it'll be on their website.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:22 am It'll be as close as I'll get to the Denning element for the foreseeable future.
It depends where you are. I believe there are orders for Victoria and Queensland as well as Busways in Sydney.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Unless Comfort Del Gro (Unlikely, their very strong with Volgren now days) or Newcastle Transport goes for them (Also unlikely) then there won't be any DE's up here for a while. Best I can hope for is Rover eventually making a change and going for one or Busways on the Central Coast also trials them.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

https://www.route-one.net/news/custom- ... l7iqTpfQ-A

Custom Bus will have a bus for England planned for next year.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

And now I can feel free to post a photo of the interior:

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Element looking forward. Note four mother and child (1.5) seats around the front wheelarches, yet still some luggage rack in between. No wasted space unlike many local bodies. Detail in this bus is very well thought-out with European thinking obviously applied.
ElementInterior2.jpg
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

At Waverley Depot, for State Transit (Custom Denning photo):

Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

The internal layout does seem very good and does look professional and the exterior is smart and stylish, it really would be quite something if Custom Denning were able to export this electric bus in reasonable numbers - however, there is some pretty stiff competition in this area, so all the very best to them.

A lot of Chinese chassis (in the electric arena)have been sold in the UK, with Alexander Dennis bodies - I wonder if they will be a lot more robust and reliable than the Chinese (conventional) units I was involved with, I guess if they are not, that will assist Custom Denning's efforts.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Haven't seen this anywhere on here yet, Australasian Bus & Coach have their review article & video up on the new Custom Denning Element, worth a check out if it interest you.

https://www.busnews.com.au/bus-reviews/ ... ng-element
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:53 pm Haven't seen this anywhere on here yet, Australasian Bus & Coach have their review article & video up on the new Custom Denning Element, worth a check out if it interest you.

https://www.busnews.com.au/bus-reviews/ ... ng-element
Thanks for that. It's only come on today. There's usually a gap of a few days after the magazine comes out so their subscription readers can get it first, then they post it online. I hope everybody watches the video. It really is an exceptional bus and an extraordinary effort by Australian automotive talent (which has always been very good incidentally). To think that Bustech developed their electric bus over three years ago and only just seem to have got it working and CD did this in a year shows where the competencies lie. As for the Chinese buses, this is so far ahead, anybody would be crazy to buy Chinese buses any longer. On that point Tim, I see that the ADL buses in UK are on a BYD chassis, so this CD should make a hit when it reaches UK. The maintenance regime will be better too as the CD doesn't have hub motors.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Some photos from the ABC article:

Side view:

Driver's position:

Lining up windows with seats 101: design lesson for Bustech. Also no more banging heads on the ceiling for standees at the rear.

The heart of the beast, the motor:

Rear elevation - the return of the rear window:

Return to “General Transport Discussion”