List of Perth Bus Routes by Contractor

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

timetable gunzel

List of Perth Bus Routes by Contractor

Post by timetable gunzel »

Can anyone advise if there a Website anywhere that details the Routes by Number, operated by each of the 3 Perth Contractors? TIA.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Re: List of Perth Bus Routes by Contractor

Post by Off The Rails »

viewtopic.php?p=1034334#p1034334

If you check the signature of the user who posted in the link above, they have an excel sheet on dropbox which has the information you're looking for.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Unfortunately, busdriver12 no longer has the route listing grouped by contract area. The link in his signature is a route/timetable index, with operators of each route at the bottom, by the route description, and hasn't been updated as of March 15. I have, however, compiled my own current list using one of busdriver12's older versions of the route/contract index as a base, which can be viewed here: Transperth Routes By Contract Area as of 04/10/2020
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

I doubt busdriver12 has the updated list that shows the current operator for Joondalup.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:29 pm I doubt busdriver12 has the updated list that shows the current operator for Joondalup.
Is that really a necessary contribution to this discussion?
Bus Suggestions wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:13 pm I have, however, compiled my own current list using one of busdriver12's older versions of the route/contract index as a base, which can be viewed here: Transperth Routes By Contract Area as of 04/10/2020
Good list. I notice there are some routes missing or that need updating (e.g. route 14 no longer exists, routes 566/567 are missing and some others worth double checking on). FYI, route 950 is allocated to both the Morley and Claremont contracts while route 960 is allocated to both the Morley and Kalamunda contracts. Each contract is allocated a specified amount of trips to operate (internally, I believe Claremont 950 trips are identified as 949 and Kalamunda 960 trips are identified as 959). Worth noting that CircleRoute is also split across three separate contracts too (Morley, Canning and Fremantle).
Bus Suggestions

Thanks Mr OC Benz, I'll update the list.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:46 pm Thanks Mr OC Benz, I'll update the list.
522 and 583 are two others that no longer exist, but that's all I could find other than what's already been mentioned.
Bus Suggestions

Ran through Wikipedia (not always the most reliable source, but typically reliable enough when it comes to routes) and edited the list accordingly. You should now be able to access the list through the link in my signature. Feel free to notify me if I've made any more errors or mistakes, or if the link isn't working!
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Squiddy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 pm
Bus Suggestions wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:46 pm Thanks Mr OC Benz, I'll update the list.
522 and 583 are two others that no longer exist, but that's all I could find other than what's already been mentioned.
And Route 26 was introduced.
timetable gunzel

Post by timetable gunzel »

Thanks to all for answering my request. I have one further question - Is there an agreed minimum turnaround time rostered at both City and Suburban Terminus. Maybe 3 or 4 mins??
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

I do not believe such provisions exist anywhere on the Perth network at present. Sometimes, the turnarounds are even 1 or 2 minutes - on paper. In practice, it may be more or less than this depending on the trip and how much recovery time there is at the end (and if the bus was running late).
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:11 pm I do not believe such provisions exist anywhere on the Perth network at present. Sometimes, the turnarounds are even 1 or 2 minutes - on paper. In practice, it may be more or less than this depending on the trip and how much recovery time there is at the end (and if the bus was running late).
Turnaround times for bus services can hinge heavily on local traffic conditions. Some routes ply through areas prone to congestion.
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

As observed, my list is getting a bit long in the tooth as I've fallen behind by ~6 months. I am slowly updating the spreadsheet and will do the same with the contract/services list when I get to it. Spare time is a premium but I'll get there.

For a year slowed down by Covid-19, there's been a lot of activity on the timetable/route front. I have a lot of timetables to work through...
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Mr OC Benz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 pm FYI, route 950 is allocated to both the Morley and Claremont contracts while route 960 is allocated to both the Morley and Kalamunda contracts. Each contract is allocated a specified amount of trips to operate (internally, I believe Claremont 950 trips are identified as 949 and Kalamunda 960 trips are identified as 959).
That's correct - you'll also find this printed on paper tickets.
Worth noting that CircleRoute is also split across three separate contracts too (Morley, Canning and Fremantle).
The Circle Route (or management of) falls under the Canning contract.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

busdriver12 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:31 am
Mr OC Benz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 pm FYI, route 950 is allocated to both the Morley and Claremont contracts while route 960 is allocated to both the Morley and Kalamunda contracts. Each contract is allocated a specified amount of trips to operate (internally, I believe Claremont 950 trips are identified as 949 and Kalamunda 960 trips are identified as 959).
That's correct - you'll also find this printed on paper tickets.
Worth noting that CircleRoute is also split across three separate contracts too (Morley, Canning and Fremantle).
The Circle Route (or management of) falls under the Canning contract.
What if Canning and Southern River get operated by the incumbent from Kalamunda. Will Swan Transit still have any input from its other depots?

Personally, now that Swan has Joondalup, it makes a lot of sense for Path Transit to take Canning and Southern River alongside Kalamunda. This makes it easier for managing route 75. I heard that Canning and Southern River packages were extended for another couple of years but I suspect they will expire thereafter if the "50% of service mileage" rule still exists.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Enviro 500 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 am What if Canning and Southern River get operated by the incumbent from Kalamunda. Will Swan Transit still have any input from its other depots?

Personally, now that Swan has Joondalup, it makes a lot of sense for Path Transit to take Canning and Southern River alongside Kalamunda. This makes it easier for managing route 75. I heard that Canning and Southern River packages were extended for another couple of years but I suspect they will expire thereafter if the "50% of service mileage" rule still exists.
I am not privy to the decision making process so your guess is as good as mine. I do have some thoughts on the matter but will comment no further as to do so would be in contravention of my company's social media policy.
Phil

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Ideally, Swan Transit should have Morley and Midland in addition to Claremont, Marmion and Joondalup. Morley and Midland can be under one central command like Claremont, Marmion and Joondalup.

Kalamunda, Canning and Southern River are best managed by Path Transit under a central command.

Fremantle and Rockingham, along with Perth CATs, should hopefully get taken over by Go-Ahead, who will steer clear of wage theft.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Enviro 500 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:23 pm Ideally, Swan Transit should have...
Ideally, these forums shouldn't be cluttered up with speculative, pointless comments that don't add anything new or useful to the discussion.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Squiddy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 pm 522 and 583 are two others that no longer exist, but that's all I could find other than what's already been mentioned.
Whilst researching for my timetable project, I noticed that Route 522 silently dropped off Bus Timetable 120 on 13/9/20. . There appears to have been no mention of this on the web site (going on re-posts in the update thread).

I've noticed a bit of this sort of thing slipping through the cracks lately. You really have to have an eagle eye to spot some of the changes.
Phil

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

From memory I think it was mentioned on the website, but that's not very important now. Not sure if the 7xx route that replaces it operates on school holidays.

It also intrigues why they made the change, perhaps 'Special' routes aren't scrutinised as heavily in terms of cost or patronage?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

busdriver12 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 am
Squiddy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 pm 522 and 583 are two others that no longer exist, but that's all I could find other than what's already been mentioned.
Whilst researching for my timetable project, I noticed that Route 522 silently dropped off Bus Timetable 120 on 13/9/20. . There appears to have been no mention of this on the web site (going on re-posts in the update thread).

I've noticed a bit of this sort of thing slipping through the cracks lately. You really have to have an eagle eye to spot some of the changes.
522 disappeared as part of the changes on 19 July.

I very much appreciate those who post the full articles in the service changes thread as given they do not permanently remain on the Transperth website, there would otherwise be minimal public record of the changes.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Mr OC Benz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:39 pm
522 disappeared as part of the changes on 19 July.
Thanks - I missed that one when doing my catch up research scouring through all the posts in this thread.
I very much appreciate those who post the full articles in the service changes thread as given they do not permanently remain on the Transperth website, there would otherwise be minimal public record of the changes.
As do I - it's enabled me to pick up where I left off previously :) Thanks fellers!
Phil

busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:13 pm Unfortunately, busdriver12 no longer has the route listing grouped by contract area. The link in his signature is a route/timetable index, with operators of each route at the bottom, by the route description, and hasn't been updated as of March 15.
As an aside, in the Routes tab of my spreadsheet, if you hover your mouse cursor over the route number there will be a pop up that displays who operates that route and which contract area is resides in. This is one of the things being updated since the January change over to Swan Transit. For those savvy with spreadsheets, it is a simple cell comment.

As an aside, the Joondalup contract used to be called the Wanneroo contract when they were first set up in 1996.

I have, however, compiled my own current list using one of busdriver12's older versions of the route/contract index as a base, which can be viewed here: Transperth Routes By Contract Area as of 04/10/2020
Very well presented and a lot easier to decipher than the way I did it :)
Phil

Bus Suggestions

Thanks for the compliments, busdriver12! I actually realise I need to update the listing as I haven't removed the 522 yet.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Squiddy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:14 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:23 pm Ideally, Swan Transit should have...
Ideally, these forums shouldn't be cluttered up with speculative, pointless comments that don't add anything new or useful to the discussion.
My idea is to minimise dead runs. I feel it should be possible to take individual services out of the current package for operational reasons, if the nature of the route and the distance between the depot and terminating points are scrutinised.

Also, Transdev had bad publicity due to their wage theft practices that resulted in a 7-month strike in 2018/19. I suspect it was part of the reason why they lost Joondalup. No sane person should ever condone wage theft. Silence merely enables it.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”