Extra Covid 19 services

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Re: Extra Covid 19 services

Post by pgt »

To add to my observation re the extra off peak 144 services, they are also running on the weekend, though only 2 an hour but also between Spit Junction and RNS Hospital.
Was thinking they'd run them the whole route, but can also see why they wouldn't based on demand.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

BroadGauge wrote:Running overflow coaches only seems to be something that has been put on for the Queens Birthday weekend.
Federation Coaches was operating an overflow service for the midday service from Canberra last Wednesday or Thursday.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

BroadGauge wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:42 am
boronia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:59 pmAt Central this morning, I was chatting to the guard on the Canberra XPL. I joked about the small number of passengers on board, and he stated that only 32 passengers are carried and any overflow are carried in coaches.
Running overflow coaches only seems to be something that has been put on for the Queens Birthday weekend. On other days, it seems to be the case that ones the socially distanced capacity of the train is booked out, too bad.

I'm surprised that the Canberra Xplorer isn't booked out on every single trip yet, given that both of the Murrays and Greyhound coach services are still suspended between SYD - CBR. Apart from driving yourself, the only options between those cities are the Xplorer, or the 5x weekly QantasLink Dash 8 service that runs from SYD - CBR - MEL.
Nope, had Overflow coaches for the Northern XPT/ Explorer services all week leading up to the Queens Birthday, expect to see it more as regional NSW travel is opened up.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Murrays had overflow coaches at Central this afternoon.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

I had a play around with the booking site, and there seems to be supplementary coaches for all Canberra Xplorer services, substituting for train services the same way as weekend trackwork coaches would - eg I can book a trip from Tarago to Bundanoon on a supplementary coach if I want to.

Surprised that the supplementary coach service isn't just for the major stations, as it would be logistically a bit easier to take off some of the load going to major points off the train, and keep some of the seats on the train aside for those few who need the minor stops rather than have road coaches going down all the back roads to small stations that are far away from the direct road routes.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I had a quick look at the Dubbo XPT one day last week, and it was also lightly loaded compared to normal. Is this getting coach backup as well?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

NSW TrainLink website tells you they are supplementing regional services for social distancing:

NSW TrainLink Regional services

We’ve got a plan to provide a COVID Safe regional transport network as restrictions ease and the numbers on our network increases, and more people return to work and school.

We have implemented measures to ensure the safety of our staff and customers especially those travelling long distances. NSW TrainLink regional rail and coach customers are being booked in a way to accommodate physical distancing where possible.

- Bookings with two adults on the same ticket will be allocated physical distant seats and may request on board staff to allow them to sit together.
- Bookings of one adult and one child from same family are seated together.
- Bookings of three or more family members on the same ticket will be seated together, groups of more than 4, will be accommodated directly across the aisle if possible.
- Groups of people not from the same household should be advised that physical distancing seating will be applied.

Unfortunately, due to the reduced capacity, we cannot guarantee that large groups will be able to be accommodated on the same day or on the same service.

To adhere to physical distancing guidelines, some service may be supplemented by additional coaches. Once services have reached capacity, please consider an alternative option or travel on an alternative day.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I noticed on FB, video of XPT carriages being transferred from Broadmeadow back to Sydney.

Perhaps they are going to build up the consists of some services? The Wallan accident must have reduced the pool of spare cars.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

XPTs have been operating in 2+6 formation throughout Covid, normally they operate as 2+5 outside school holidays, except for the Dubbo service which is 2+4. They used to operate as 2+7, but haven't for a few years now.
swtt

Post by swtt »

swtt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:55 pm to Strathfield Station every 30 min from approx 1430 hrs in that direction.

Earlier today, it was Strathfield Station to Olympic Park Station, in that direction, every 30 min.

In actual fact both 525 and 526 are getting additional services on weekends. That makes it around 9 buses per hour from DFO to Strathfield.

525 short runners - every 30 min from Olympic Park Station
526 short runners - every 20 min from Underwood Road (DFO)

Route548

Post by Route548 »

In my neck of the woods, the 550 is operating on a roughly every 7 min frequency in both directions from just before midday to 3pm-ish which was somewhat unexpected as the offpeak services never really got full except if the one before or after was late (they normally go to 15min freqs in offpeak on weekedays).
I am the herring-slapper everyone fears (well not really but still....)
swtt

Post by swtt »

Route548 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am In my neck of the woods, the 550 is operating on a roughly every 7 min frequency in both directions from just before midday to 3pm-ish which was somewhat unexpected as the offpeak services never really got full except if the one before or after was late (they normally go to 15min freqs in offpeak on weekedays).
You're right - that's pretty awesomely frequent! Would it catering for school or university students?

Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

swtt wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:27 pm
Route548 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am In my neck of the woods, the 550 is operating on a roughly every 7 min frequency in both directions from just before midday to 3pm-ish which was somewhat unexpected as the offpeak services never really got full except if the one before or after was late (they normally go to 15min freqs in offpeak on weekedays).
You're right - that's pretty awesomely frequent! Would it catering for school or university students?

Government schools are currently on holiday before they go back the week beginning July 20.
Macquarie University students are currently on winter break. The university will be returning from the week beginning July 27. but will be only running to face-to-face tutorial classes on campus, which will be supplemented by online lectures.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Looks like a stack of fringe peak services on Route 320 have also been added - they're Zetland - Wynyard short runners.

Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Noticed both Australia Wide Coaches and BusBiz were operating more than one coach on their Western NSW TrainLink services today. Three out of the five coaches on the Lithgow station stand were not in NSW TrainLink livery.
swtt

Post by swtt »

More on additional 525/526 weekend Olympic Park (525)/DFO (526) services:

https://transportnsw.info/trip/departur ... 2008291025

Is there no such a plan to make these services permanent? Even without the COVID situation, the routes' patronage are going gangbusters.

Here's one of such services about to depart Strathfield Station on Saturday 22/8:
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

The additional Covid services on 595 have been withdrawn with no notice.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

crimsontide wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:22 pm The additional Covid services on 595 have been withdrawn with no notice.
They aren’t really advertised so they will disappear the same way they just appeared when they started. Same for all modes.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Can I make a comment that whoever thought the combination of green stickers (that take time to apply/remove in accordance to the fluid and uncertain situation)+"strong" recommendation to wear mask INSTEAD of just mandating masks (no mask no ride) and applying minimum amount of green stickers (rather than adding more) is the brightest bulb :idea:
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

Masks are mandatory on public transport (as well as other indoor settings) as of today, and enforced from tomorrow with a $200 fine.

https://transportnsw.info/covid-19/covi ... sk-content
It is mandatory to wear a face mask on public transport in the Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong areas. Fines will apply.

In line with health advice, children under 12 years of age do not need to wear a mask. Please ensure you are wearing a face mask when going on the concourse, at bus/ coach stops, beyond station gates and travelling on our services.

In order to slow the spread of COVID-19, you should continue to take personal responsibility regarding your travel plans and follow all NSW Health advice. This includes not travelling if unwell, practising physical distancing and good hygiene as well as wearing your own mask.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

There was a Volgren St Marys CDC coach at Penrith today which I later saw at Katoomba assume they had a few coaches supplementing BMT services??
boronia

Post by boronia »

boxythingy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:25 am Can I make a comment that whoever thought the combination of green stickers (that take time to apply/remove in accordance to the fluid and uncertain situation)+"strong" recommendation to wear mask INSTEAD of just mandating masks (no mask no ride) and applying minimum amount of green stickers (rather than adding more) is the brightest bulb :idea:
An STA bus I was on today had all the green stickers in the centre of the seats, rather than alternating side to side, They looked to neat to have been subject to random "vandalism".

Passenger compliance on a few services was 100% although patronage was much lower than I would have expected.
@ The Museum of Fire.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

boronia wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 pm Passenger compliance on a few services was 100% although patronage was much lower than I would have expected.
Many people are less enthusiastic about the prospect of wearing an uncomfortable face mask than the government may hope they would be, and hence this mandate serves as a deterrent to making non-essential journeys.

There's quite a few people who would have switched to driving as well.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

The face mask mandate only applies to Central Coast, Blue Mountains and Wollongong areas.
So I wonder from which station on the South Coast Line and Central Coast and Newcastle Line will this mask mandate does not apply, as they would have been outside of Central Coast (i.e. in Hunter) and in South Coast (i.e. Shallharbour and Kiama councils)?
Also does that mean if passengers are travelling from Lithgow to Bathurst then face mask is not mandatory as well?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As usual you are wrong - it applies to all of the "Greater Sydney", Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong areas.

See https://transportnsw.info/covid-19/covi ... d-regional under NSW TrainLink Regional Services which in itself is somewhat misleading.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”