1984 M.A.N bus problems

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

spydah

1984 M.A.N bus problems

Post by spydah »

I have a 1984 MAN city bus converting to a motor-home and have a few small problems. The first is that so far I have been unable to locate any fuse box, the second is that-even though I had started it and driven it home to work on it I have been unable to start the engine again. At first I thought that it was the batteries but after recharging them I find that now the starter switch wont engage even with the ignition lights on, each time I press the starter the lights go out and I have to press the Batt. Main switch again to get them on, now the starter switch doesn't have a clicking sound when I press it. This was previously a South Australian Government bus. Motor was running sweet as, but now I can't start it. Can anyone help m :oops: e? I'm in Thornlie.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: 1984 M.A.N bus problems

Post by Merc1107 »

I think on the ex. Adelaide Mercs the electrical equipment was located behind the driver. Could be the same for your unit.

Also, another simple thing to check is if you have it in neutral prior to starting, or playing with the selectors a bit if it already is. Sometimes they can be a bit temperamental on an older bus - bus won't start in gear like most automatics.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I would say that if it was a problem with the gearbox interlock, the lights wouldn't be going dim when he tried to start it.

The symptoms are similar to those of poor battery conections. First I would suggest to disconnect all the battery leads, clean the terminals and posts, then make sure the terminals are very tight. Also check the connections at the starter motor.

Another cause could be a jammed starter motor.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

I LOOK UP YOUR PROBLEM I HAVE A VERY LARGE MANUALS ON MAN I OWN ONE HERE IN PERTH
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

spydah wrote:I have a 1984 MAN city bus converting to a motor-home and have a few small problems. The first is that so far I have been unable to locate any fuse box, the second is that-even though I had started it and driven it home to work on it I have been unable to start the engine again. At first I thought that it was the batteries but after recharging them I find that now the starter switch wont engage even with the ignition lights on, each time I press the starter the lights go out and I have to press the Batt. Main switch again to get them on, now the starter switch doesn't have a clicking sound when I press it. This was previously a South Australian Government bus. Motor was running sweet as, but now I can't start it. Can anyone help m :oops: e? I'm in Thornlie.
I HAVE A NUMBER OF WIRING DATA YOU CAN HAVE AS I LIVE IN MORLEY PHONE ME 92798872 MY COLLECT ON MAN MANUALS IS VERY LARGE
RIC
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Another possibility is one of the batteries is failing. It probably has enough kick to start the bus just after being recharged, but will not hold that charge for any length of time. Does the dash have a voltmeter?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Guy_Arab wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 pm
spydah wrote:I have a 1984 MAN city bus converting to a motor-home and have a few small problems. The first is that so far I have been unable to locate any fuse box, the second is that-even though I had started it and driven it home to work on it I have been unable to start the engine again. At first I thought that it was the batteries but after recharging them I find that now the starter switch wont engage even with the ignition lights on, each time I press the starter the lights go out and I have to press the Batt. Main switch again to get them on, now the starter switch doesn't have a clicking sound when I press it. This was previously a South Australian Government bus. Motor was running sweet as, but now I can't start it. Can anyone help m :oops: e? I'm in Thornlie.
I HAVE A NUMBER OF WIRING DATA YOU CAN HAVE AS I LIVE IN MORLEY PHONE ME 92798872 MY COLLECT ON MAN MANUALS IS VERY LARGE
RIC
could i please have the manuals. i have a 1984 man sl 200 in nz converting to a house bus. its having reverse problems. 1st off it started selecting reverse every now and then and has got that bad that it wont select at all. thanks in advance any help wpould be good. ive read every post on this site about the motor, gearbox renk 873a and the bus its self. ive seen your name continously come up offering advice and help. acehomeservices_mba@yahoo.com
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

I HAVE A MAN SL240 S I HAVE A GOOD MANUAL IF DIFFERENT MOTORS IF CHANGED HAVE EACH TYPE OF MOTOR SEND YOU A PRIVATE EMAIL
GUY ARAB

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”