The On Demand Services thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Skexis

The On Demand Services thread

Post by Skexis »

What exactly is an "on demand" service? How would they fit onto a shift? Where do they stop and drop?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: The On Demand Services thread

Post by TT »

https://ondemand.transitsystems.com.au/sydney
Here’s how Transit Systems runs Bridj in Sydney. Dial a bus but through an app (or a phone call if no app access). I imagine a shift would consist of a driver responding to requests via a BCU/GPS type unit in the bus. Pick up close to request point, drop off close to required destination. Southlink’s little buses (the BCIs and Rosas) would be ideal, just that Southlink not operating the proposed on-demand areas. Already being used in Gawler area and trialled in Mt Barker and Barossa.

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Timetables ... s-Services
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

They don't normally "fit in" to a shift - most such services use dedicated vehicle and driver.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

1whoknows wrote:They don't normally "fit in" to a shift - most such services use dedicated vehicle and driver.
But the dedicated driver is still working a shift obviously? Say, one might work 6am to 2pm with a break somewhere in the middle?
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I had read Skexis post as meaning fitting in between on demand and regular runs as part of a shift and responded accordingly.
David Horowitz.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Well this is part of the question - would it be standalone for a driver or could it be tucked in amongst regular runs. Personally I can't see how these things will be workable or anywhere near cost efficient.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Keoride in Mt. Barker has been very successful - I’ve seen people who never use public transport use Keoride to get around Mt Baker. From what I understand, Keoride use separate drivers on separate shifts and I would imagine Bridj (Transit Systems’ on demand name) would work in much the same way

If they’re working well so far, bring on more I say. The proposed areas look very logical, hopefully they will be successful too
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Lt. Commander Data

Keoride in the Barossa is getting a “lighter service” due to low demand. From their FB page:
BAROSSA | KEORIDE ON DEMAND PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO CONTUINE WITH A LIGHTER SERVICE MODEL

The Barossa On Demand Trial will continue as a lighter service model with fewer vehicles on the road until 14 August 2020. The service will then reduce to one vehicle but will still be called Keoride, using the same technology and pricing structure. While the growth in usage during the trial period was encouraging it was not sufficient to enable the service levels of the trial to continue to be maintained at this time.

You will still be able to access the great service that has been on offer over the past 6 months. From 15 August 2020, we will be operating on the following days and times:

Weekdays
Monday – Friday
08:30am to 4:00pm
Weekends
No service
(Public holidays: No service)

A huge thank you to our customers and the wonderful Barossa community for your continued support of the service.
Download our app today and book a trip! Or call 1300 642 604.
Find out more www.sa.keoride.com.au
I wonder whether the other vehicles will be transferred to Mt Barker’s Keoride? It still remains very popular every day of the week, and has a fairly good reputation in the community
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Personally I would take all ridership figures everywhere since February with a grain of salt. This is not a normal year.
Wellington and Melbourne had 90% plus patronage reductions at different times in the last 6 months.
David Horowitz.
Lt. Commander Data

As of the 18th of January, Keoride Mt Barker is being extended to include Nairne and Littlehampton, and will also use the same fare structure as the rest of the MetroCARD network.

https://sa.keoride.com.au/coming-soon?f ... dRCA8j3WuA

Positive to see this service going well, it will be more effective than the fixed route services ever could be in these towns, mainly due to the small streets and cu-de-sacs in the newer estates.

The generally light usage of the 838 and 839 meant they could only be justified to run hourly on weekdays; now there is essentially a full 7 days a week service to a much larger area.
flaneur

Post by flaneur »

On Demand Services work in areas of poor public transport or lack of, especially in new subdivisions and not required for a specific time frame, ie you can't rely on the service if you want to catch a bus at a specific time. Works in Mt Barker due to the closure of the Town bus route and the numerous new housing estates, suitable for those without a car or unable to drive. As for the Barossa service I would expect that most people have access to a car and/or the higher fares compared to Mt Barker. There are many country towns crying out for any public transport from nearby towns to a major country town or regional centre. Yankalilla / Normanville residents want to go to Victor Harbor but their only choice is a bus to Colonnades/Marion.
Lt. Commander Data

flaneur wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 pm On Demand Services work in areas of poor public transport or lack of, especially in new subdivisions and not required for a specific time frame, ie you can't rely on the service if you want to catch a bus at a specific time. Works in Mt Barker due to the closure of the Town bus route and the numerous new housing estates, suitable for those without a car or unable to drive. As for the Barossa service I would expect that most people have access to a car and/or the higher fares compared to Mt Barker. There are many country towns crying out for any public transport from nearby towns to a major country town or regional centre. Yankalilla / Normanville residents want to go to Victor Harbor but their only choice is a bus to Colonnades/Marion.
What “town bus route” in Mt Barker has been closed?

Interesting you mention Yankalilla, I’m sure I read a future proposal for increased services there. Unfortunately I can’t find any links to it at the moment.

I believe on demand services such as Keoride/Bridj would work well in Victor Harbor-Goolwa. It would almost certainly be better used than the Barossa one, not least due to the high portion of retirees in the area.
loungeman76
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Fuji artics

Post by loungeman76 »

Other areas that come to mind for on demand service's in the Adelaide Hills could be; Bridgewater, Aldgate, Mylor, Longford, Bradbury, Scott Ck, Heathfield, Stirling East, Carey Gully, Uradila, Summertown, Piccadilly, Crafers, Crafers West etc.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”