COVID-19 response

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: COVID-19 response

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

TP1462 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:11 am
hack404 wrote:Looks like covid disruption from Tuesday.

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Servic ... ls/13357-1
Hopefully someone here would be able to help clarify but surely wouldn’t the other depots or operators be able to help with the shortage like if swan Joondalup has spare drivers shouldn’t they be able to assist Morley because that’s at least 2 weeks worth of disruptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many other major Australian cities have had periods of reduced services due to staffing shortages. It’s usually ok as in theory there are fewer people using the services due to WFH or people isolating - I’m sure Perth won’t be special (except for the fact that it’s happening much later than it did everywhere else).
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Indeed, all the other capital cities have been through this and civilisation has not noticeably come to a grinding halt. This is just WA playing catch up football to the rest of the planet.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Please remember that the casuals, and even full time staff members (with a day off) at all three contractors are not so inflexible as to prevent excess drivers at Joondalup being used at Karrinyup or vice-versa, for example. When COVID has struck at a time when the resurgence in mining has exasperated existing staff shortages, when COVID-related absences come on top of regular sick days, annual and long-service leave, it doesn't surprise me to see service reductions. To vaguely insinuate there are swathes of drivers idly twiddling their thumbs while a neighbouring depot runs short is quite disrespectful, not just to drivers, but the Operations staff who are busy trying to make everything work right now.

Like the last two posters have said - this is hardly a new phenomena. People have to accept that transitioning to "living with COVID" will result in some level of disruption to essential services - nobody will stop going to their favourite cafe because the staff had the audacity to fall ill and shut up shop, the same will be true of public transport.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:23 am
Enviro 500 wrote: Karrinyup and Wangara used to be Path Transit's depots in the past. Those who have been around long enough may have covered Morley routes under global running.
Yes this would obviously apply for other contract areas as well so if Beckenham or Canningvale had drivers fall ill to Covid Welshpool or Kalamunda or vice versa should be able to cover. A better system should be adopted because running an inconsistent bus service will result in more people driving or switching to Uber or taxis. Most if not all routes also have signs which tell you where to go and if they really needed to a dash mounted GPS system would suffice. So what happens when 30 drivers fall ill? 50? 100?

Beckenham and CV already receive significant back-up from SR, and getting input from Welshpool would be just like old times.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:30 am
TP1462 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:11 am
Hopefully someone here would be able to help clarify but surely wouldn’t the other depots or operators be able to help with the shortage like if swan Joondalup has spare drivers shouldn’t they be able to assist Morley because that’s at least 2 weeks worth of disruptions

Many other major Australian cities have had periods of reduced services due to staffing shortages. It’s usually ok as in theory there are fewer people using the services due to WFH or people isolating - I’m sure Perth won’t be special (except for the fact that it’s happening much later than it did everywhere else).
It's happening much later and with a softer impact thanks to State Daddy McGowan. That's the only thing he has managed to get right so far.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Enviro 500 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:52 pm
It's happening much later and with a softer impact thanks to State Daddy McGowan. That's the only thing he has managed to get right so far.
Good god, is this the level of discussion that this board has reached? I mean, the overall quality of discussion has gone down the toilet anyway since you started posting more actively, but even so, we're all here to talk about transport not whatever garbage political or speculative post your two brain cells decided to come up with today. It's no wonder people keep leaving this board, and I've finally had enough of your crap and am more than happy to join them.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

I heard from a Route 935 bus captain earlier today that most of his colleagues in Morley region are down.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”