NSW Electric Bus Plan

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Re: 2023 NSW Election

Post by alleve »

J_Busworth wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:15 pm
alleve wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:46 pm The Tempe Oranas are rarely ever seen, I've caught them maybe 3 times in the last 6 months, and they usually only make it out at school times. I would say maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the time I catch the bus it's an Optimus. I'm not sure if I'm lucky, or if Transit Systems has some positive bias towards the 476/477. Interesting point about operators not being able to buy new buses, I didn't think about that. One would hope that the new minister allows artics again and pushes for hybrids in the regional areas.
The Tempe Oranas operate every weekday. Some examples: At 1pm today there were 5 of the 11 out in service across the 303, 308, 422 and 430. Last Friday at between 4pm and 5pm I got photos of 6 of the 11 passing Sydenham Station on 358, 418 and 430 trips. I see them out in service on the 303/348/358 going past UNSW, and it would be an oddity if there wasn't at least a few Orana operated trips throughout the day.

Perhaps the longer shift lengths or the all day shifts with breaks at Rockdale Meal Room on the Bayside runs (476/7/8/9) are more suited to newer buses.

Tempe certainly isn't the focus on electrifying either. Kingsgrove has just gone electric with the delivery of the first Element there today (although there would be around 20 of them awaiting entry to service at AMD). Burwood is next.
That would make sense as to why I don't see them much, I catch the 47_ routes more than I do the 303, 358, 422.

I don't recall Burwood being part of the Government's plan. Are you sure they're next?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: 2023 NSW Election

Post by Fleet Lists »

J_Busworth wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:15 pm
Tempe certainly isn't the focus on electrifying either. Kingsgrove has just gone electric with the delivery of the first Element there today (although there would be around 20 of them awaiting entry to service at AMD). Burwood is next.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-a ... -new-fleet makes no mention of Burwood.
The key conversions will occur at bus depots in Leichhardt, Tempe, South Granville, Kingsgrove, Menai, Taren Point, Port Botany, Willoughby, Randwick, North Sydney and Brookvale.
Surely not the whole of Transit Systems is going to be done before any other operator is looked at.

We are probably getting off subject as this relates more the Electric Bus Plan, and has nothing to do with the election.

EDIT - It has now been moved.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: NSW Electric Bus Plan

Post by boronia »

Cost of new motorway under Sydney Harbour blows out by $1.4 billion

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cos ... 5cz4b.html

Interesting to note the comment
They show the previous Coalition government plugged the $1.4 billion gap for the three-lane motorway tunnels last year by taking on extra debt and reallocating some funding from other projects, including WestConnex, the Princes Highway upgrade and a program to electrify the state’s bus fleet.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I came across this on EVs. If we're going to go head long into this idea, we better be more choosy.
https://youtu.be/yOA7qKMcjcE
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Interesting also no mention of Waverley in that funding plan.

That depot still seems to only get one or two of their (ten) Elements out on a daily basis according to anytrip.

-

Immediately above that sepenteza video is a bit suspect. In a country as big as China you will get a few car fires.
The guy started as a fairly popular travel blogger YouTuber covering China (he's married to a Chinese woman) but showed stuff warts and all.
And seemingly got blacklisted and basically forced out of the country.

Since then his videos have become very clickbaity and negative on China.
While no doubt some issues with the recent models he focused on, he doesn't seem to have anything on the far more popular models like BYD buses, the e6 taxies or the Atto 3 (Yuan Plus in China)
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

First of 6? Yutongs are at Penrith Depot oddly appear to be an older 2021 build date. Some of the Elements are still devoid of busways information
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

They may have been originally ordered by Interline but the order got cancelled and then were bought by busways
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:42 am They may have been originally ordered by Interline but the order got cancelled and then were bought by busways
That's a disappointing backward step for Busways but I guess somebody ends up taking the Yutongs one way or another.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's a further step up in a smooth experience for the rider after Busways went with Voith after being a ZF adherent for so long. They have "regressed" with their latest purchases of Mercs but the Ecolife is supposed to be a great improvement over the Ecomat's jerkiness in some applications.
I hope "the coast" gets some EVs eventually.
boronia

Post by boronia »

They would have been bought by TfNSW, perhaps initially FOR Interline, but subsequently redirected to Busways?
@ The Museum of Fire.
MotorOmnibus8562

Gotta replace the remaining Custom O405s to stop them from running public services and the failed Orana B10BLEs with some newer buses
Doesn't Busways have more Elements on the way for Region 7?.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:21 pm Gotta replace the remaining Custom O405s to stop them from running public services and the failed Orana B10BLEs with some newer buses
I think nearly every Sydney operator is in that situation with very few new buses being delivered.
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562

I heard somewhere that TfNSW is trying to review their Bus procurement panel for Zero Emissions buses, considering that a lot more zero-emissions buses are available on the market.

Dated August 2021 are the zero-emissions buses allowed to be purchased by NSW Operators:
Bus and Coach International - BCI Citrider EV
Nexport Pty Ltd - Gemilang (BYD Chassis)
Volgren Australia - Volgren (BYD chassis)
Bustech Pty Ltd - ZDI
Custom Bus Group Australia Pty Ltd - Custom Denning Element EV
Optare Tempo 11.5m
Yutong Australia - Yutong E12

Source:
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... t%2021.pdf

They really need to update the panel so more options are allowed to be purchased. Such as the Volvo BZL, Three Volvo BZLs are already in service in Victoria with four more in WA, all with Volgren Bodies and there is one more being demonstrated with an Express body in NSW too.

MO8562
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

I wouldn't take that as necessarily being up to date. Operators have access to a portal and that may well have been updated. If Volvo et al are seeking to make sales in NSW, they would proactively be pushing to have the products added to the list.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I would have thought that such a review would have have been an ongoing process in the current environment.

The fact that it is dated August 2021 makes me think that it would be an out of date version.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:55 pm I would have thought that such a review would have have been an ongoing process in the current environment.

The fact that it is dated August 2021 makes me think that it would be an out of date version.
The Panel was supposed to be reviewed this year, under the previous government.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Is the power bill to charge the buses working out to be substantial savings over diesel?
Stonesourscotty

Swift wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:35 pm Is the power bill to charge the buses working out to be substantial savings over diesel?
Penrith has a large amount of Solar Panels on the depot roof
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:00 pm Penrith has a large amount of Solar Panels on the depot roof
Perfect for overnight charging.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:00 pm
Swift wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:35 pm Is the power bill to charge the buses working out to be substantial savings over diesel?
If they are feeding this back into the grid, their power bills could be negligible.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

boronia wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:47 pm
Stonesourscotty wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:00 pm

If they are feeding this back into the grid, their power bills could be negligible.
As the fleet of electrics grows, that may return may diminish if they have to recharge batteries to charge buses overnight.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:47 pm If they are feeding this back into the grid, their power bills could be negligible.
The feed-in rate nowadays is pathetic, unless they secured some commercial deal.
Stonesourscotty

Any idea when the Yutongs enter service at Penrith and why one is numbered in the Normal buses series rather than as an electric?
MotorOmnibus8562

Likely part of the new contract where all new purchases have to be zero emissions (except second-hand purchases due to the current circumstances) and that Busways has finalised it's fleet numbering for the recent takeovers of STA + orders for Gosford and regional Operations.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:20 am why one is numbered in the Normal buses series rather than as an electric?
5015 and 5017? Both electric numbers?
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”