Political discussion

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Campbelltown busboy

Political discussion

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

This thread is about anything political witch includes
Anything to do with local governments
Anything to do with state governments
Anything to do with federal governments
All political views welcome
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Re: Political discussion

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Well here's something to start things off: Adam Bandt is now leader of the Greens
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
MotorOmnibus8562

The government just blocked the Greens' bill for an anti corruption watchdog.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

If John Howard didn't push the date of the 1999 election forward by a year then last years federal election would of been this year
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Talking about John Howard.
Best thing he ever did was the gun controls after the Port Arthur killings.
I couldn't see anyone else (of either party) having got that through or even have the courage to try.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Campbelltown busboy

Centralian wrote:Talking about John Howard.
Best thing he ever did was the gun controls after the Port Arthur killings.
I couldn't see anyone else (of either party) having got that through or even have the courage to try.
This pro guns American wouldn't agree with our gun laws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEHKbXaUNnY
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

The title of the clip is " Kaitlin Bennet vs Australian Leftie".
Wow, you have to listen to her whole blurb, even after the group walks away.
I'd hate to be a real 'leftie' over there.
I hope there's a bit of prodding in that by the interviewer to get some controversy.
What a dag ! Sorry.
Campbelltown busboy

Well at least our gun confiscation was a voluntary buy back I've seen online clips from American conservatives and Fox News saying that the Democrats have a more extreme gun policy witch basically sounds more like forced gun confiscation
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

When you look at the loss of life there to 'loopies with guns' I think it would be the only way to do it.
Voluntary hand in would never work, and then there's their 'right to bear arms'.
Doubt you'd ever get a majority vote in favour of change.
So guaranteed more loss of innocent lives into the future.
Guess it's what makes America great !!
Campbelltown busboy

There is the election cycle in NSW
2020 council elections
2022 federal election
2023 NSW state election
2024 council elections
2025 federal election
2027 NSW state election
2028 federal election
2028 council elections

Hope there is a term this decade where we get though at least one federal term without a mid term leadership spill or a term of NSW parliament without a premier change because of the resignation of a sitting premier
MotorOmnibus8562

Im surprised that state elections have fixed terms, whereas federal elections don't, why can't federal elections have fixed terms too.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote:Im surprised that state elections have fixed terms, whereas federal elections don't, why can't federal elections have fixed terms too.
Fixed terms would make it next to impossible for a sitting prime minister to call a double dissolution election where my idea of all 3 levels of government going at dissolution the same time a federal candidate would have a group of state candidates as a win by a federal candidate means a win for the state candidates for state seats within a federal seat
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fixed terms would make it next to impossible for a sitting prime minister to call a double dissolution election where my idea of all 3 levels of government going at dissolution the same time a federal candidate would have a group of state candidates as a win by a federal candidate means a win for the state candidates for state seats within a federal seat
I'm sorry. What?

Paul
Campbelltown busboy

More or less the states are governed by whatever party wins the most federal seats and councils are sorted out by sitting state and federal members
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

So What?????
Living in the Shire.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

9 days with out POWER this is 2020 I remember blackouts every 2nd night in the 50's old people the sick ect rely on a home phone land line which needs power and some do not have gas to cook. Then the ausgrid site is down so you just have to wait. We HAVE 2 HUGE TREES blocking the street so you can get out been 9 days Yes I FEEL for those who lost homes in the fires But what if a war broke out We have many elderly living on their own who are frighened & what with the viries situation as well What happened to the old way checking on the people next door ect we don't know any of our neighbours as they keep to them selves its a differant world now sad as it is last week-end the was heavy rain no power no trains one road out which was blocked with people returning to the city as I stated its 2020 not the WAR YEARS!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
MotorOmnibus8562

captainch wrote:9 days with out POWER this is 2020 I remember blackouts every 2nd night in the 50's old people the sick ect rely on a home phone land line which needs power and some do not have gas to cook. Then the ausgrid site is down so you just have to wait. We HAVE 2 HUGE TREES blocking the street so you can get out been 9 days Yes I FEEL for those who lost homes in the fires But what if a war broke out We have many elderly living on their own who are frighened & what with the viries situation as well What happened to the old way checking on the people next door ect we don't know any of our neighbours as they keep to them selves its a differant world now sad as it is last week-end the was heavy rain no power no trains one road out which was blocked with people returning to the city as I stated its 2020 not the WAR YEARS!
Well, wouldn't it be nice if the government gave free solar panels and windmills to the residents to power their homes.

My family right now is currently investing in solar panels so we are not connected to dirty electricity from the coal power plants. We technically don't need any more new coal power plants and mines as we should be investing in something that doesn't use anything except tge wind and the sun.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
MotorOmnibus8562

Would it be good if our prime-minister was a responsible and capable person and not a person who doesn't listen to the community and the only people tney talking are from mining companies...
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote:Im surprised that state elections have fixed terms, whereas federal elections don't, why can't federal elections have fixed terms too.
States can have fixed terms via state legislation, which has happened in NSW, Victoria, SA, WA and Queensland. For Federal terms to be fixed or longer than 3 years, it would require a change to the Constitution. Even when both major parties have supported change, Constitutional amendments have failed. Of the 44 questions put to the people via Referenda for Constitutional change since 1901, only 8 have been successful. For success, the change must not only receive a majority of the vote but also a majority of the vote in a majority of the states i.e. four. There have been five questions which received a majority of the vote but not in a majority of the states, so they have failed.

The question of 4 year term elections was put to the people by the Hawke government in 1988 - it got 32.9% of the vote. It was opposed by the Liberal and National Parties who said it would lead to a "communist" state. NSW, Victoria, SA, Tasmania and WA have 4 year term elections, as will Queensland after their next election, and they don't appear to be all that "communist" to me.

The LNP still oppose fixed terms for the Federal parliament mainly because Labor still favours a 4 year fixed term.
Campbelltown busboy

Let's hope this isn't the 5th consecutive term of NSW parliament where there there is a mid term premier resignation retirement or party powerbroker leader change
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Andrew Constance will sit it out and patiently wait his turn next. I don't think Gladys has become a liability yet.
MotorOmnibus8562

system improver wrote:
States can have fixed terms via state legislation, which has happened in NSW, Victoria, SA, WA and Queensland. For Federal terms to be fixed or longer than 3 years, it would require a change to the Constitution. Even when both major parties have supported change, Constitutional amendments have failed. Of the 44 questions put to the people via Referenda for Constitutional change since 1901, only 8 have been successful. For success, the change must not only receive a majority of the vote but also a majority of the vote in a majority of the states i.e. four. There have been five questions which received a majority of the vote but not in a majority of the states, so they have failed.

The question of 4 year term elections was put to the people by the Hawke government in 1988 - it got 32.9% of the vote. It was opposed by the Liberal and National Parties who said it would lead to a "communist" state. NSW, Victoria, SA, Tasmania and WA have 4 year term elections, as will Queensland after their next election, and they don't appear to be all that "communist" to me.

The LNP still oppose fixed terms for the Federal parliament mainly because Labor still favours a 4 year fixed term.
Funny that. Though, ScoMo still has to call another election by 2022. Wobder what happens if he DOSEN'T call an election by 2022?
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What a stupid suggestion. He has got to and that is it.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Does any members that where living in NSW around 1987/1988 know the reason why the 1987 NSW state election was held back by a year
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:Does any members that where living in NSW around 1987/1988 know the reason why the 1987 NSW state election was held back by a year
It wasn't. The 1988 election was held 4 years after the 1984 election. In 1981, the Wran government put a referendum to the people of NSW to change the 3 year term to a 4 year term. It could have been done by an act of Parliament but Wran thought it best to ask the people first. The referendum was passed by 69% to 31%.

Return to “The Lunch Room”