Electric bus trial

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

tonyp

Re: Electric bus trial

Post by tonyp »

alleve wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:00 pm Disappointing that they're going with more Yutongs
TC has explained that there's a supply problem due to demand from other operators. The Element is still coming but they could get the Yutongs quicker.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Four Custom Denning Elements to be delivered to TC between September and November.

https://www.custombus.com.au/post/trans ... g-contract
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

So having placed a large order for 90 Yutongs, ACTION decides to buy a token few Custom Dennings. Surely a more logical way would have been to lease a demonstrator and then decide, one way or the other, which way it wanted to go. That said ACTION does have form in this regard, having purchased a series of one-off buses in the early 1990s and then selling them off after a year or so. Only a government operation could do this.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Is that order for the 90 Yutongs a firm commitment, or some 'options' on a smaller firm order, on the basis ACTION are satisfied with the bus?

I guess they were caught in the lurch, wanting to roll out e-buses, but having scarcely any options until more recently.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:25 pm Is that order for the 90 Yutongs a firm commitment, or some 'options' on a smaller firm order, on the basis ACTION are satisfied with the bus?

I guess they were caught in the lurch, wanting to roll out e-buses, but having scarcely any options until more recently.
Australian manufacturers have come on the electric scene very recently and have had to rev up their production quite quickly in a short time. Hitherto, under political pressure to electrify, it's been easier to get Chinese buses and cheaper too, regardless of being a generally inferior product. Of the locals, Custom Denning is now in full swing and planning further increase in production capacity. Volgren can cheat by using imported chassis.
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

Merc1107 wrote:Is that order for the 90 Yutongs a firm commitment, or some 'options' on a smaller firm order, on the basis ACTION are satisfied with the bus?
I would say firm commitment. The Yutongs are not expected until late 2024 at the earliest, due to lack of electrical infrastructure.

There were several tenderers, but given recent experience with buses not being able to be delivered on time, or at all, Yutong actually has a solid track record in delivering and that may have pushed them to the top of the pile.

Does anyone know if Yutong is going ahead with their plans for a Brisbane assembly plant?

Sent from my CPH2067 using Tapatalk

Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

ZIB-585 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:41 am Does anyone know if Yutong is going ahead with their plans for a Brisbane assembly plant?
I think the recent smattering of BZLs appearing in service, plus some orders for the Bustech electric (by Clarks) may have put the brakes on that one.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Does Yutong sell their chassis or is it just chassis + body? ie would a Volgren Yutong combo be possible?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

alleve wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:48 pm Does Yutong sell their chassis or is it just chassis + body? ie would a Volgren Yutong combo be possible?
The E12 is an integral bus manufactured in China.
eddy

Post by eddy »

tonyp wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:12 pm
alleve wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:48 pm Does Yutong sell their chassis or is it just chassis + body? ie would a Volgren Yutong combo be possible?
I might be wrong but I think the E12 is too wide for Australia
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
alleve

Post by alleve »

eddy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:15 pm
tonyp wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:12 pm
I might be wrong but I think the E12 is too wide for Australia
Given that it is currently being used in Canberra, Penrith, Leichhardt and Leppington, I'd say it probably isn't
Last edited by alleve on Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Who is using it in the Macarthur region?
Living in the Shire.
alleve

Post by alleve »

Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:03 pm Who is using it in the Macarthur region?
Sorry, I should have said Leppington
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Still the same question - who is operating it there?
Living in the Shire.
alleve

Post by alleve »

Fleet Lists wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:19 pm Still the same question - who is operating it there?
Interline
ZIB-585

Post by ZIB-585 »

Merc1107 wrote:Is that order for the 90 Yutongs a firm commitment, or some 'options' on a smaller firm order, on the basis ACTION are satisfied with the bus?

Firm order. But with 105 MANs needing replacing between 2028 & 2032, there should be a further tender in the near future.

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

https://www.act.gov.au/our-canberra/lat ... o-canberra

More electric buses start zapping into Canberra

The ACT Government is continuing the transition to a zero-emissions future with the first of four new electric buses to hit the streets of Canberra.

The battery electric buses will be based at the Belconnen Depot, bolstering the number of zero-emission bus services running out of north Canberra.

The depot will be upgraded to install the appropriate charging infrastructure, which will use existing grid capacity to supply energy.

Each bus takes approximately five hours to fully charge and can operate up to 400 kilometres on a full charge, cutting noise pollution and harmful emissions from public transport interchanges and on Canberra streets.

The new buses will bring Canberra’s total electric bus fleet to 16, with an additional 90 electric buses set to be delivered in the next three years.

To facilitate the growing fleet of zero emissions buses, the Zero-Emission Transition Plan for Transport Canberra supports the transition for public transport workers, with diesel mechanics trained with the skills they need to work on the new electric fleet, and power a more sustainable future for public transport in the ACT.

First Custom Denning Element 2 for Canberra. There's a image in the weblink which has the Element bus with Transport Canberra Logo and Bike Rack on the front. And LASTLY for a special user on the forum, the bus does feature full size double doors at the rear and most likely full low floor to the rear.
ZIB-585

Post by ZIB-585 »

BAMBAM wrote:And LASTLY for a special user on the forum, the bus does feature full size double doors at the rear and most likely full low floor to the rear.
Plug doors on the rear.

And yes, photos show a step-free aisle fully to the rear.

I suspect this is the same layout as the other Element 2 being built for Sydney.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

ZIB-585 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:08 pm
BAMBAM wrote:And LASTLY for a special user on the forum, the bus does feature full size double doors at the rear and most likely full low floor to the rear.
Plug doors on the rear.

And yes, photos show a step-free aisle fully to the rear.

I suspect this is the same layout as the other Element 2 being built for Sydney.
First CD Element 2 that I've known delivered to anyone, not sure if anyone in sydney has theirs delivered at all.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The low floor and plug door are standard. CD's initial PR render showed a single leaf centre door, but the photo obviously shows that the completed product has double leaf door. A relief for users boarding and alighting under Canberra's all-door boarding practice. Boarding a Bustech with a single leaf door AND stairs in peak periods with a crowd is a complete joke - hopefully TC has finally acknowledged that.

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”