New bus network arising from CSELR (L2/L3) opening

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: New bus network arising from CSELR (L2/L3) opening

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:09 pm A lot of the UNSW buses were just add-ons at the start or finish of regular shifts, so perhaps not many buses displaced?
As they operated right through the day with up to 10 buses in use at most times I suspect the reduction would have been about 8 to 10.
Living in the Shire.
Gusbus
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202 ZF

Post by Gusbus »

Fleet Lists wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:34 pm
boronia wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:09 pm A lot of the UNSW buses were just add-ons at the start or finish of regular shifts, so perhaps not many buses displaced?
As they operated right through the day with up to 10 buses in use at most times I suspect the reduction would have been about 8 to 10.
Over the critical AM and PM peak periods where trips cost buses, I think you'd find many of the university express trips were jammed into every nook and cranny, so the actual bus cost would be much lower. I would be surprised if it was more than 4-5 during that critical peak period.

Don't forget that R7 and R8 did operate a number of AM peak 891 trips, buses from those regions would be available in the city to assist in the middle of R9's critical peak period, as R7 and R8's critical peak period finished earlier (due to the long dead running required to get the vehicle back out to the suburbs for it to operate another inbound peak trip). This helped to reduce the impact of the 891's on R9's critical peak period requirements.
Good riddens to Westbus...
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

40 buses will be handy for the L1 replacement services.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:04 pm 40 buses will be handy for the L1 replacement services.
Articulated buses.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote: That 40 is in addition to those saved when the Metrobus routes stopped operating in the area as well as the replacement of the University routes which was done some time ago.
Let's push the boat out and say it saved 80, still not many.
tonyp wrote: Articulated buses.
Not likely given that region 9 will probably be using them more intensively on the higher frequency routes, if regions 7 and 8 are anything to go by, and there are some pretty pokey inner west streets that can require backing up.
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:24 pm
boronia wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:04 pm 40 buses will be handy for the L1 replacement services.
Articulated buses.
Anything would be better than super high floor tourist coaches
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:49 pm Not likely given that region 9 will probably be using them more intensively on the higher frequency routes, if regions 7 and 8 are anything to go by, and there are some pretty pokey inner west streets that can require backing up.
For operating a tram or train replacement service for 18 months it would be perfectly justified to buy a fleet of artics that would also find plenty of use elsewhere at the end of that period. The claims of what artics can't allegedly traverse are grossly overstated by the opponents of these high capacity buses.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

It's not just a case of popping down to the dealership, cutting a cheque and driving off. Even if the chassis were built and ready for despatch, it would take six months to get them from Europe to Australia and then bodied.

Artics have the same kinematic envelope as a rigid, but they tend to be kept away from areas where there is a reasonable chance of getting stuck. Hence Transit Systems only operate them on specific routes in the Inner West. The light rail replacement route for example has to negotiate a tight corner at Bridge and Glebe Point Roads which can require buses to have to reverse back and forth to slice through.

As it will now be a longer term replacement than initially envisaged, I would imagine there will be a transition from high floor coaches to more appropriate low floor buses. Wonder if TfNSW would be cheeky enough to charge fares? :oops:
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Commandeer the existing ones. It's an emergency.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:36 pm
As it will now be a longer term replacement than initially envisaged, I would imagine there will be a transition from high floor coaches to more appropriate low floor buses. Wonder if TfNSW would be cheeky enough to charge fares? :oops:
It was stated in the press conference that from Monday, State Transit will be operating the replacement services and they will be opal enabled. Hopefully that means tracking as well. With the reduced timetable still in effect in Region 9 and the upcoming network changes reducing overall bus requirements, there should be plenty of Region 9 buses and drivers to go around.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
swtt

Post by swtt »

Just had a quick look at some of the timetables that were posted on mysydney.nsw.gov.au - there's a lot of loop services, similar to how the other regions reviewed.

373 is now a loop service!
swtt

Post by swtt »

Also a few of the new routes being introduced aren't going to start off at the usual dismal 30 min daytime off peak frequency - rather, they start with a 20 minute daytime frequency!
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Also remember that they've increased service on a number of routes. If they were left alone and mostly just cut city bound buses I'm sure there would have been a greater reduction in buses required.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

The one thing we would be waiting to see when Busways takeover region 7 is how the accreditation is done witch would be something like Busways Ryde ACC no ••••• Ryde and Busways Willoughby ACC no ••••• Willoughby
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I noticed a former M driver move back from Busways to STA M depot quite a few years ago. I wonder how he feels working for them again, assuming he's still there?!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:53 pm The one thing we would be waiting to see when Busways takeover region 7 is how the accreditation is done witch would be something like Busways Ryde ACC no ••••• Ryde and Busways Willoughby ACC no ••••• Willoughby
If it's anything like how the other regions are done, it'll be one "operator name" (eg. how you have Keolis Downer Northern Beaches Pty Ltd for R8 or Transit Systems West Pty Ltd for R6), but then the name of the depot at the end (Willoughby, Ryde).

That said, based on a few searches, I think the entity is "Busways North West Pty Ltd" - based on the fact it was only registered in October 2020, and if you start doing a Google search for "Busways North West", one of the auto-complete results refers to the location of Willoughby bus depot (as 30 First Ave, Willoughby NSW 2068)

But this discussion is for another thread...
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

pgt wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:45 pm
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:53 pm The one thing we would be waiting to see when Busways takeover region 7 is how the accreditation is done witch would be something like Busways Ryde ACC no ••••• Ryde and Busways Willoughby ACC no ••••• Willoughby
If it's anything like how the other regions are done, it'll be one "operator name" (eg. how you have Keolis Downer Northern Beaches Pty Ltd for R8 or Transit Systems West Pty Ltd for R6), but then the name of the depot at the end (Willoughby, Ryde).

That said, based on a few searches, I think the entity is "Busways North West Pty Ltd" - based on the fact it was only registered in October 2020, and if you start doing a Google search for "Busways North West", one of the auto-complete results refers to the location of Willoughby bus depot (as 30 First Ave, Willoughby NSW 2068)

But this discussion is for another thread...
I thought I posted that entry in the new contract thread oops my mistake
Michael Bamborough

Post by Michael Bamborough »

I notice that none of the buses will terinmate at Railway Square Anymore. (Except for the Peak hour 310 service.) Is the bus parking area at Railway square not gonna be used anymore and instead repurposed into something else?
swtt

Post by swtt »

Michael Bamborough wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:45 pm I notice that none of the buses will terinmate at Railway Square Anymore. (Except for the Peak hour 310 service.) Is the bus parking area at Railway square not gonna be used anymore and instead repurposed into something else?
Could Sydney Metro be taking over that block of land for other purposes whilst the City and Southwest section is being built?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Unlikely, the Metro action is all on the eastern side of the yard and is already at an advanced state. May be earmarked for use as a construction depot should the proposed redevelopment of Central station get off the ground.
boronia

Post by boronia »

May be related to the new development on the western side of the station?
@ The Museum of Fire.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I think I read somewhere that Railway Square is to become th new coach terminal.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

A couple of bays within the Regent Street bus layover were dedicated to coach parking at about the same time that Murrays took over management of the Central station forecourt parking in 2019. The coach terminal itself (just a few shelters in reality) was shifted from Eddy Avenue to the Central station forecourt in 2017 to make way for the light rail.

With Murrays and Premier services departing from outside their waiting rooms in Pitt Street, and only a dozen at best Greyhound services a day using the station forecourt, can't see the benefit nor need to shift it a couple of hundred metres further away from the railway station.
HHH

Post by HHH »

Martin Place (Elizabeth St). Outbound services.
Stand G relocated from Castlereagh St to Elizabeth St. 412, 423, 423 X, 426, 428X & 430.
Stand F. 431, 438N, 438X & 470.

Minor rerouting to outbound services.
431 & 470
Elizabeth St & right Hay St.

412, 423, 423 X, 426, 428X & 430.
Elizabeth St & right Goulburn St.

438N & 438X.
Elizabeth St, right Eddy Ave & continues on Rawson Pl.

461N & 461X.
Park St, left Elizabeth St, right Eddy Ave & continues on Rawson Pl.

St. James Stand A. Elizabeth St. 412, 431, 438N, 438X & 470.
St. James Stand B. Elizabeth St. 423, 423 X, 426, 428X & 430.

Rerouting of current Elizabeth St services.320 Gore Hill to Mascot.
Castlereagh St, left Goulburn St & right Elizabeth St.

389 The Star to Bondi Jct.
King St, right York St, left Druitt St & continues on Park St.

Route 440.
Inbound to Rozelle. New bus stop at Museum Station, Liverpool St, Stand G.
Outbound to Rozelle. Eddy Ave. Moved from Stand B to Stand C.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ The bus stop on Liverpool St facing South opposite Museum Stn is a reinstatement of the bus stop tjatvised to exist there, it was removed due to the bus network changes on 04/10/2015 when route 378 was merged with route 440.

The St. James bus stops Stand A and B respectively used to be known as Bay 1 and Bay 2.
Bay 1 was used by route 333 (and former version of route 380) during PM peak only.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”