New Sydney and Outer Metro bus contracts (as from 2020)

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Campbelltown busboy

Re: New bus contracts to drive improved services (as from 2020)

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:05 am Oh yes Busways too. They still do the Blacktown and surrounds from Glendenning depot, whatever that region is, from Rowes days?
The Blacktown depot was at Plumpton until Glendenning opened in the late 80s the question then is did the Glendenning depot open before or after the Busways rebrand Which both the rebrand and the move to the then new Glendenning depot happened around the same time
Stu

Post by Stu »

What will happen to the Transdev Revesby Depot?

Punchbowl Bus Co. could continue to use Riverwood Depot for charters only.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:33 am
Swift wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:05 am Oh yes Busways too. They still do the Blacktown and surrounds from Glendenning depot, whatever that region is, from Rowes days?
The Blacktown depot was at Plumpton until Glendenning opened in the late 80s the question then is did the Glendenning depot open before or after the Busways rebrand Which both the rebrand and the move to the then new Glendenning depot happened around the same time
I'm guessing it coincided. According to Wikipedia the rebrand of Campbelltown Transit, Macarthur Coaches and Rowes occurred in 1988. Busways have expanded by lots and lots of takeovers of other operators over decades. Wonder if they'll go international soon?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Campbelltown busboy

How do these new contracts work when it comes to depots do the depots within the contracted region get passed on to the new operator with the contract or the depot isn't in the contract which means the new operator needs to ether make a deal to lease from the outgoing operator or find somewhere to build a depot
Glen

Post by Glen »

It varies by contract.
Linto63

Re: New bus contracts to drive improved services

Post by Linto63 »

Stu wrote: Punchbowl Bus Co. could continue to use Riverwood Depot for charters only.
Possibly, but of those that did similarly in 2013 (Hawkesbury Valley, Hopkinsons and Mero-link), all gave it away after a few years.
Campbelltown busboy wrote: How do these new contracts work when it comes to depots do the depots within the contracted region get passed on to the new operator with the contract or the depot isn't in the contract which means the new operator needs to ether make a deal to lease from the outgoing operator or find somewhere to build a depot.
Most of the contracts signed in the past decade have included clauses that transfer ownership of existing depots to TfNSW upon conclusion of the concession, or at least those that TfNSW want.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:34 am
Stu wrote: Punchbowl Bus Co. could continue to use Riverwood Depot for charters only.
Possibly, but of those that did similarly in 2013 (Hawkesbury Valley, Hopkinsons and Mero-link), all gave it away after a few years.
Hopkinsons didn’t exactly give away their depot (on Woodpark Rd in Smithfield), TSA actually had their own separate depot (at Percival Rd) all to themselves.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

So Busways will be the last of the old Sydney operators still standing.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

tonyp wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:34 pm So Busways will be the last of the old Sydney operators still standing.
Busabout and Interline?
Campbelltown busboy

BAMBAM wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:08 pm
tonyp wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:34 pm So Busways will be the last of the old Sydney operators still standing.
Busabout and Interline?
Who knows what will happen when it comes to the contracts in tranch 3 which is the round of contract negotiations that regions 2 and 15 are apart of
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Hopkinsons didn’t exactly give away their depot (on Woodpark Rd in Smithfield),
No they didn't, nor did the Calabro or Oliveri families likely give their depots away, but they both closed the charter operations that they retained after losing their route service work after a few years. The Hopkinsons sold their business to Premier Transport Group who have since wound the business down, moving the remaining vehicles out of Sydney and retiring the brand.
BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: TSA actually had their own separate depot (at Percival Rd) all to themselves.
This was built by Transit Systems to replace the former Hopkinsons (Smithfield), Metro-link (Green Valley) and Westbus (Bonnyrigg) depots. It is a TFNSW owned asset.
BanksfielderIdiot823

Linto63 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:14 pm No they didn't, nor did the Calabro or Oliveri families likely give their depots away, but they both closed the charter operations that they retained after losing their route service work after a few years. The Hopkinsons sold their business to Premier Transport Group who have since wound the business down, moving the remaining vehicles out of Sydney and retiring the brand.
This was built by Transit Systems to replace the former Hopkinsons (Smithfield), Metro-link (Green Valley) and Westbus (Bonnyrigg) depots. It is a TFNSW owned asset.
That last bit is relating to a ROUTE basis. I’m referring to the leftover CHARTER basis, which Stu was querying about earlier in Punchbowl’s case. Bonny depot stayed in CDC’s hands a few years after 2013, holding some of the Charterplus operation before it got demo’ed in 2017 with the site being built over by an extended Bunnings, with Charterplus moving off to the Westbus St Marys depot. (And I’m from Edensor, so I know what I’m talking about here)

Plus, TSA Smithy only replaced the route operation at Hopkinsons and at the Westbus Girraween depot you forgot to mention about (which has since gone back to Baxters who are still working charter to this day.) while the ex-Metrolink, the one or two Busabouts and the Westbus Bonny equipment going to Hoxton Park. In fact, there was a temporary depot at Moorebank that was holding some of the buses until this depot opened up (which included the imported Volgren Mercs from Brisbane), because there was no space at Hoxton. (Do you have any idea how big R3 is???) There had to be some leased space at Oliveris off Cowpasture Rd until that other new depot at Hoxton Park opened.

By the way, Oliveri’s are still doing charter. So I don’t know what sort of closure you’re talking about. (EDIT: Okay, just forget whatever the hell I said here about Metrolink, I completely missed the news about their closure which was unrelated to the 2013 contract.)
Hopkinsons’ charter are still on Woodpark Rd in Smithfield as well. Just because a South Coast-based bus operator bought it up doesn’t mean that the buses automatically move to the South Coast. The accreditation sticker on the side of the bus that says Kiama says which accredited operator the bus belongs to, it is not always where the bus is based. After all, why do the accreditation stickers on the Busways buses say Blacktown when the depot’s at Glendenning?
Last edited by BanksfielderIdiot823 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:40 pm
By the way, Oliveri’s are still doing charter. So I don’t know what sort of closure you’re talking about.

In the fleet lists it states that "Operation believed to be ceased following the passing of Giuseppe Oliveri on 10 November 2021."

If this is not correct, some more information is required as to which bus(es) are still operating.
Living in the Shire.
BanksfielderIdiot823

Fleet Lists wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:12 pm
BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:40 pm
By the way, Oliveri’s are still doing charter. So I don’t know what sort of closure you’re talking about.

In the fleet lists it states that "Operation believed to be ceased following the passing of Giuseppe Oliveri on 10 November 2021."

If this is not correct, some more information is required as to which bus(es) are still operating.
Website www.metrolink.com.au is still up.

As for fleet, I wouldn’t know too much, as I don’t really head around the Liverpool LGA a lot, but their Bustech B7RLE (the older 1999 body) has been out and about sometimes lately.

EDIT: Wow. Seriously pardon me, my fault; I didn’t see it. They did close up after Giuseppe’s passing. That was after the end of the ‘21 lockdown when I was having some severe mental breakdowns at the time and I had shut myself away from the news updates, so I completely missed it.
Last edited by BanksfielderIdiot823 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

I wasn't attempting to provide a comprehensive history of region 3's depots, merely stating what happened to the charter operations of those operators that remained as such after losing their route work. Yes I am quite aware of the size of region 3, Transit Systems' map shows that.

The fleetlist is of the opinion that Metro-link has ceased stating: ''Operation believed to be ceased following the passing of Giuseppe Oliveri on 10 November 2021'' Unless Hopkinsons have moved back in, the Smithfield depot was reported as being vacated in 2020. with the remaining vehicles transferred to Helensburgh. Just to clarify this was reported in Australian Bus in September 2020, so I am not quoting my own work.
Last edited by Linto63 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Website www.metrolink.com.au is still up.
http://www.metrolink.com.au/make-a-booking
- Bookings page appears to have closed

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrolin ... 9510428445
- Facebook page linked on website also appears to have closed

You'd expect these things to be still up for a presently running business.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Yet their breakaway spin-off company Interline is still doing route work. How long until one of the multinationals gets their grubby hands on their region?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Swift wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:43 am
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:33 am The Blacktown depot was at Plumpton until Glendenning opened in the late 80s the question then is did the Glendenning depot open before or after the Busways rebrand Which both the rebrand and the move to the then new Glendenning depot happened around the same time
I'm guessing it coincided. According to Wikipedia the rebrand of Campbelltown Transit, Macarthur Coaches and Rowes occurred in 1988. Busways have expanded by lots and lots of takeovers of other operators over decades. Wonder if they'll go international soon?
They did bid for a contract in Singapore, but were unsuccessful. Since then they now also have a contract in Adelaide.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Swift wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:33 am Yet their breakaway spin-off company Interline is still doing route work. How long until one of the multinationals gets their grubby hands on their region?
We will find out next year who gets those remaining regions. We have also seen six regions merged into three larger ones so far.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:19 pm
The two region 12 electrics may be TfNSW owned, having only ever operated in Sydney. The 2019 built one that Transdev previously operated in Melbourne is probably Transdev owned, or at least leased, but either way transferring ownership to TfNSW wouldn't be a problem.
From fleet lists
m/o 8188 Deregd and transferred to Transdev Queensland by 29/12/22 but a rego check shows it still regd to 31/12/2023.
m/o 8190 Reg 16/12/21 ex Transdev Melbourne Pty Ltd, North Fitzroy, VIC (3000) BS05MR by 11/21; Transdev Australia demonstrator.
Withdrawn and rego expired 15/12/22. This agrees with rego check.
So that only leaves 2
BYD D9RA Volgren Optimus 2 m/o 8186, m/o 8187 at Mount Kuring-gai
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

It wouldn't be a surprise if Busways puts in the joint bid for regions 2 and 15 as they where operating in Campbelltown for about 40 years and in Camden for about 20 years before the bus contract recommendation was implemented
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I dont think there is anything in there that we did not already know about the new region 10 being a combined 5 and 10.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Obviously publisher had shut up shop for the year when this was announced 3 weeks ago. Like many Australasian Bus & Coach articles, largely a cut and paste of a press release.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:18 pm I dont think there is anything in there that we did not already know about the new region 10 being a combined 5 and 10.
I posted it for information, not because it's new news.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”