WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by Enviro 500 »

It seems that Tower Transit is staying in Gosnells till 2022 at the earliest, according to one of their supervisors I met earlier at Thornlie. Bloke was ex-Path Transit Karrinyup. He was reminiscing about the time Malaga, Karrinyup and Joondalup had interchangeable resources, as well as Welshool and Beckenham. These days we are more likely to spot a Shenton Park bus on the 82. Also worth noting is the fact that every operator has been involved in running Joondalup.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Huh, never realised all current 3 had operated Joondalup at one time. And by Tower Transit, you mean its parent Transit Systems/sister Swan Transit?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Enviro 500 wrote:It seems that Tower Transit is staying in Gosnells till 2022 at the earliest, according to one of their supervisors I met earlier at Thornlie. Bloke was ex-Path Transit Karrinyup. He was reminiscing about the time Malaga, Karrinyup and Joondalup had interchangeable resources, as well as Welshool and Beckenham. These days we are more likely to spot a Shenton Park bus on the 82. Also worth noting is the fact that every operator has been involved in running Joondalup.
The new contract had not been announced yet as of mid-March 2020. The current contract for Canning, Southern River and Rockingham/Mandurah can be found in here, which ending in April 2020.

The contracts can be searched by the UNSPEC code "78111802" and the public authority as "Public Transport Authority" from Tenders WA site.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

i just want to ask you did transperth still use extension service for Morley/Mirrabooka service. becuase long time i never seen these day any Perth - Morley/Mirrabooka using desto Extended via ..Route

Last time i saw was on 60 around 2018 which say extend via 371 route. btw did 950, 960, 970 use extension service
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Services to Morley still use the "extends via", however I'm not sure about 970's using that.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Off The Rails wrote:Services to Morley still use the "extends via", however I'm not sure about 970's using that.

is that include 950 because in 2016 i saw 950 use that but these day i only saw on 60 or 66.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

The codes are there for 950 extensions - whether or not they get used is another question.

Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

I've recently observed buses Morley-bound with destinations set for a connecting 345, so it still happens.

It's useful information to have displayed, as it is supposed to allow passengers a one-seat journey (don't think tagging off between runs is necessary). I'm not sure if services are used that way much nowadays, particularly given no official connections to or from City buses (or trains) are publicised - nonetheless they are still there in most cases.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Seems haven't seen for the desto for a time being for Mirrabooka already.

For possible through routes in Mirrabooka, the follow combinations are possible.

Path: (67, 68, 960) - (375, 376, 377, 378)

Swan: (370, 384, 970) - (374, (with possibly connecting with 415 in Marimon contract))
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

I don't think Swan have ever had the "extending via" displays for anything. They could have them for the 930 -> 210, 211, 212 and vice versa, but don't.

On a car related transport topic, 1HXX-nnn plates have now started to be registered. I saw 1HAF-339 on a vehicle today.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Bus-1809 wrote:
On a car related transport topic, 1HXX-nnn plates have now started to be registered. I saw 1HAF-339 on a vehicle today.
mmmmm last week I saw my first one too, 1HAA215 followed me on my way home. Wonder what the first on a bus will be :D
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

A tender has gone out by programmed facility management on behalf of PTA to install four 100kW EV chargers at the Joondalup depot the buses will be provided by Volvo it also includes some upgrades to the entry and car park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

TP1462 wrote:A tender has gone out by programmed facility management on behalf of PTA to install four 100kW EV chargers at the Joondalup depot the buses will be provided by Volvo it also includes some upgrades to the entry and car park

The 4 buses are the Volvo 7900

Bus Suggestions

Now that's interesting, given that there wasn't any call for electric buses earlier on (though Volvo did outline its potential to supply alternate technologies). I haven't been able to find a single mention of this on any website other than the WA Tenders (tender here: Display Tender PRO0820 - Joondalup depot D&C Front Entry Civil & Electric Charging Station Works). I expect there will be more released over the coming weeks. Any word as to whether the buses will be the 7900 hybrid-electric or the all-electric? And whether it will be supplied integrally or developed as a chassis?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The contract for supply included provisions for alternate technologies to be supplied for evaluation or otherwise... A lot of people seem to be under the misapprehension that Perth will be receiving diesel-powered buses for the next decade - while deliveries at present are diesel that doesn't mean that cannot or will not change. There's also the small matter that the contract is 5yrs plus an option for a 5yr extension, so I imagine if Volvo doesn't live up to expectations, there's always the option of putting the bus supply contract back out to tender.

PerthNow News Article where the matter of an electric trial was raised.
Bus Suggestions

On a different note, Oats Street Station's bus interchange is finally getting the upgrade it should've had a decade ago.
PTA Projects wrote:Project overview
Work will soon begin at Oats Street Station to upgrade the existing bus interchange, which is currently at capacity. The project will involve extending the bus interchange north to increase the number of bus stands and layover bays. The upgrade will allow the interchange to accommodate more services including a new bus route from Perth Airport Terminal 1 to Oats Street Station once the Forrestfield-Airport Link becomes operational. The extension will also allow the interchange to accommodate articulated buses when necessary.

The project includes:
  • Increasing the number of bus stands from two to four;
  • Creating three new bus layover bays;
  • Relocating several on-street (public) car parking bays; and
  • Reconfiguring surrounding pedestrian paths and access.
  • Work is expected to begin in late April 2020 and continue for about three months (weather permitting).
Significant changes to Oats Street Station are expected in the long-term as part of METRONET’s Level Crossing Removal program, which will see the removal of the Oats Street level crossing, and potentially the level crossings at Mint Street and Welshpool Road.

Construction impacts

Construction impacts (temporary changes)
To accommodate extension of the interchange, all of the station’s bus services will operate from the opposite side of the station (Rutland Avenue) during construction.
Rutland Avenue (northbound lane) between Oats Street and Mercury Street will be closed for approximately three weeks at the start of work to upgrade footpaths so that bus services can operate from Rutland Avenue.
Once bus services are temporarily relocated to Rutland Avenue, residents living near the station on Rutland Avenue, Mercury Street, and Tuckett Street will experience a significant increase in bus traffic on their streets for a period of about two months.
On-street public car parking bays on Rutland Avenue and Bank Street will be temporarily reduced during construction.
Around half of the existing Bank Street passenger car park will be temporarily closed once work begins to extend the bus interchange. Parking in the Rutland Avenue passenger car park will also be temporarily reduced.
Significant traffic management will be in place to safely direct motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians around the work site during different stages of construction. Other impacts (e.g. disruption from noise, dust, vibration, asphalt odour) may also be noticeable to nearby residents during work; these will be minimised wherever possible.

All work is expected to occur within standard construction hours (Monday to Saturday, 7am – 7pm).

Permanent changes
To make way for the enhanced bus facilities, several trees need to be removed from the bus interchange verge on Bank Street.
Around 12 car bays within the Bank Street passenger car park will be permanently removed to allow the interchange to be extended.
Several on-street public car parking bays on the western side of Bank Street will be permanently relocated to the eastern side of Bank Street to accommodate bus turning circles from the new interchange exit.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Now that's interesting, given that there wasn't any call for electric buses earlier on (though Volvo did outline its potential to supply alternate technologies). I haven't been able to find a single mention of this on any website other than the WA Tenders (tender here: Display Tender PRO0820 - Joondalup depot D&C Front Entry Civil & Electric Charging Station Works). I expect there will be more released over the coming weeks. Any word as to whether the buses will be the 7900 hybrid-electric or the all-electric? And whether it will be supplied integrally or developed as a chassis?
They’re fully electric

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Bus Suggestions wrote:On a different note, Oats Street Station's bus interchange is finally getting the upgrade it should've had a decade ago.
PTA Projects wrote:Project overview
Work will soon begin at Oats Street Station to upgrade the existing bus interchange, which is currently at capacity. The project will involve extending the bus interchange north to increase the number of bus stands and layover bays. The upgrade will allow the interchange to accommodate more services including a new bus route from Perth Airport Terminal 1 to Oats Street Station once the Forrestfield-Airport Link becomes operational. The extension will also allow the interchange to accommodate articulated buses when necessary.

The project includes:
  • Increasing the number of bus stands from two to four;
  • Creating three new bus layover bays;
  • Relocating several on-street (public) car parking bays; and
  • Reconfiguring surrounding pedestrian paths and access.
  • Work is expected to begin in late April 2020 and continue for about three months (weather permitting).
Significant changes to Oats Street Station are expected in the long-term as part of METRONET’s Level Crossing Removal program, which will see the removal of the Oats Street level crossing, and potentially the level crossings at Mint Street and Welshpool Road.

Construction impacts

Construction impacts (temporary changes)
To accommodate extension of the interchange, all of the station’s bus services will operate from the opposite side of the station (Rutland Avenue) during construction.
Rutland Avenue (northbound lane) between Oats Street and Mercury Street will be closed for approximately three weeks at the start of work to upgrade footpaths so that bus services can operate from Rutland Avenue.
Once bus services are temporarily relocated to Rutland Avenue, residents living near the station on Rutland Avenue, Mercury Street, and Tuckett Street will experience a significant increase in bus traffic on their streets for a period of about two months.
On-street public car parking bays on Rutland Avenue and Bank Street will be temporarily reduced during construction.
Around half of the existing Bank Street passenger car park will be temporarily closed once work begins to extend the bus interchange. Parking in the Rutland Avenue passenger car park will also be temporarily reduced.
Significant traffic management will be in place to safely direct motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians around the work site during different stages of construction. Other impacts (e.g. disruption from noise, dust, vibration, asphalt odour) may also be noticeable to nearby residents during work; these will be minimised wherever possible.

All work is expected to occur within standard construction hours (Monday to Saturday, 7am – 7pm).

Permanent changes
To make way for the enhanced bus facilities, several trees need to be removed from the bus interchange verge on Bank Street.
Around 12 car bays within the Bank Street passenger car park will be permanently removed to allow the interchange to be extended.
Several on-street public car parking bays on the western side of Bank Street will be permanently relocated to the eastern side of Bank Street to accommodate bus turning circles from the new interchange exit.
Oats Street crossing was pretty busy ever since Thornlie station became operational. Anyway, can't 285 be extended to airport instead of having a new route altogether?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Enviro 500 wrote:can't 285 be extended to airport instead of having a new route altogether?
I haven't seen any proposals or information on the new route, but given the 285 only runs a few times each day and doesn't really go in the direction of T1, I guess they might choose a more direct route to the airport?

Would guess Kewdale would likely fall into the area covered by redesigned bus services when the Forrestfield-Airport link opens and so the 285 would be partially replaced by some new route or a variation on the existing one.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

For those interested, the Riverside Drive Bus Priority Lanes are now under construction. Have attached a graphic of the works produced on the PTA website in case it is lost to the sands of time.
Public Transport Authority wrote:Work will soon begin to improve the efficiency and reliability of bus movements between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station, Point Lewis Rotary roundabout and beyond to Stirling Highway.

The project will include:
  • Creating a bus-only lane to connect Riverside Drive to the southern entrance to Elizabeth Quay Station.
  • Creating an additional exit lane for buses traveling north on William Street out of Elizabeth Quay Bus Station.
  • Associated changes to kerbing, traffic islands, and footpaths to accommodate the new bus lanes.
  • Modification of the nearby Elizabeth Quay Bus Station staff car park to create an additional three bays.
  • Retention of the right-hand-turn out of the Perth Convention Centre onto Riverside Drive.
Once the project is complete the bus services will enter and exit the station at the southern entrance, and use Riverside Drive to travel between the bus station and Point Lewis Rotary roundabout. This will allow for more predictable journey times and fewer delays.
Rside_busway.jpg
Rside_busway.jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

For those interested PTA have gone out to tender for the delivery of a new narrow gauge shunter for Bellevue depot operations obviously it’ll be commissioned at the Nowergup depot the shunter will be able to travel at speeds of up to 140km/h be capable of shunting B, C series EMUs with the Scharfenberg type 10 coupler as well as the new Australind and standard gauge AvonLink/Prospector cars these will be misaligned on common rail. Bellevue also replaces the Kewdale AvonLink & Prospector depot and includes dual gauge wheel lathe and maintenance facilities

pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

I just want to ask some question

1. Which first transperth depo that have a CNG facilities
2. Why does path morley area decided have 2 cng depot (Morley & Bayswater) not put the cng just in 1 depo. usually if 1 contract area had 2 depot, is only 1 depot that is CNG facilities (ex: Rockingham,Welshpool area, Marmion)
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

I think having a full gas fleet in Morley contract area was an experiment by the PTA back in the day. Several diesel vehicles were converted to gas. Three H2 fuel cell buses were also based in Malaga for a trial.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

In response to pasha241:
1. I believe Kensington St. workshops (and perhaps Causeway Depot later in the piece?) had facilities to refuel the LPG (007, 270, 271) & CNG (008, 009) trial Mercedes-Benz O305s in the 1980s. O305s delivered from the factory to use gaseous fuels are actually known as 'OG305s' (007 & 009).
Morley depot was constructed with an in-ground, trickle feed CNG refuelling system. This was to accomodate Renault PR100.2s and PR100.3 (622, 1027-1030, 1038, 1056, 1057, 1069 & 1133), aforementioned Mercedes-Benz O305s and additional O305s (517-542 inclusive) all converted to CNG.

It is rumoured Palmyra Depot was constructed with trickle-feed CNG in mind. The small handful of Renaults converted to CNG were part of a trial that took place prior to an eventual plan to convert up to 100 diesel buses to CNG fuel by a West-Australian company; I think the same company (Transcom) were responsible for the modifications performed on 1772-1796.

2. Not sure if there is any deliberate pattern to how many depots in a contract area do or do not have CNG buses - many areas have just the one depot, after all. I think it boils down to which areas were to receive new buses at the time. Do remember that for quite a number of years, only CNG buses were delivered in Perth due to the politics of the day (or so I have been led to believe).
Enviro 500 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 pm Three H2 fuel cell buses were also based in Malaga for a trial.
A very sensible idea, in my opinion, versus the plan with electric Joondalup CATs...
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Bang on the money there with Malaga, "Merc1814"

I believe that's also correct re Causeway Depot, as 008 was fitted with the CNG Booster in 1984 and then converted properly to CNG later on and of course the LPG Conversions on 270 and 271 were done early in the peace, along with the delivery of 007. Remember also that 517-542 were not converted until well after Malaga Depot opened in 1986.

Part of the Hydrogen Storage Facility at Malaga is still there. It's now the paint booth, behind the "Can-o-py". The H2 Storage facility, shortened each of the Stow Roads at Malaga by 3 buses. Roads 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 had underground fuelling points on them.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”