WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

sylar

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by sylar »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:46 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:26 pm
I was going by what was written on PB Info. But then again, that page hasn't been properly updated. It hasn't even mentioned 2305 on the disposal section even though it was the first B7 written off.
It's shown on 2305's listing... https://www.perthbus.info/report.php?vid=TP2305

AFAIK the bus has not been "disposed of" yet.
Merc1107 is correct, 2305 is sitting in the Canning Vale grave yard visible from Roe Highway (well back in June/July it was). So it hadnt been disposed of to date.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

sylar wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:40 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:46 pm
It's shown on 2305's listing... https://www.perthbus.info/report.php?vid=TP2305

AFAIK the bus has not been "disposed of" yet.
Merc1107 is correct, 2305 is sitting in the Canning Vale grave yard visible from Roe Highway (well back in June/July it was). So it hadnt been disposed of to date.
It's there with all the other buses that had been burnt or met with serious accidents. Those ones have been listed as disposed of, 1610 being among them.

Wonder how they managed to bring 2305 home to CV.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:
sylar wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:40 pm Merc1107 is correct, 2305 is sitting in the Canning Vale grave yard visible from Roe Highway (well back in June/July it was). So it hadnt been disposed of to date.
It's there with all the other buses that had been burnt or met with serious accidents. Those ones have been listed as disposed of, 1610 being among them.

Wonder how they managed to bring 2305 home to CV.
There’s a thing called a flat bed tow truck it got towed on one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

According to PB Info, 101-107 are listed as withdrawn. That explains the absence of CNG Midis from Morley contract runs. That said, all Morley CNG Midis have been replaced by diesels and only CNGs from 1885 onwards are still active in the area.

However, PB Info still lists 1866-84 as active even though they are likely withdrawn. 2379 and 2380 (Airbus) have returned to Path Transit but are still listed under Swan Transit. 2175-80 have been with Swan Transit for close to a year but still appear on Path Transit's list. 1429-34 are back with Swan Transit with 1694-9 moving to Path Transit in exchange. These have to be updated.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Imagine the owner of the site having a life and not having perthbus as their top pirority.

Also, you can fill out a form on there stating these changes, through the Contact section. Might be more seen there than here.
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

A glut of withdrawal information has seemingly been added for a number of buses today, including those mentioned by Enviro500 above
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:According to PB Info, 101-107 are listed as withdrawn. That explains the absence of CNG Midis from Morley contract runs. That said, all Morley CNG Midis have been replaced by diesels and only CNGs from 1885 onwards are still active in the area.

However, PB Info still lists 1866-84 as active even though they are likely withdrawn. 2379 and 2380 (Airbus) have returned to Path Transit but are still listed under Swan Transit. 2175-80 have been with Swan Transit for close to a year but still appear on Path Transit's list. 1429-34 are back with Swan Transit with 1694-9 moving to Path Transit in exchange. These have to be updated.
That’s a bit rude the owner of the website also works and has other commitments and priorities they get to the website when they can

**When it comes to licensing and registration the DoT website is updated more regularly and the mentioned CNG Mercedes OC500s are withdrawn as their registration is marked as suspended

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

12** series OCs are long gone and have already been listed so.

Meanwhile, I swear some of the NHs that were added to the withdrawal list today were recently activated.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:12** series OCs are long gone and have already been listed so.

Meanwhile, I swear some of the NHs that were added to the withdrawal list today were recently activated.
Your point being?

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:32 pm
Enviro 500 wrote:12** series OCs are long gone and have already been listed so.

Your point being?

1234-99 and 1900-09 were mentioned again in the updates section.
HL7619
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz OC500LE Diesel

Post by HL7619 »

How cool would that been to have a NH Articulated Bus when the NHS Were running this would have been the seating in the bus 2 foward seats behind the driver, then 2 single rear facing and 2 double foward facing seats at the wheelchair bay and then 4 rows of 4 seats forward facing seats, then 4 rear facing seats just before the articulated bit, then 4 single foward facing seats in the articulated bit, then a double and single rear facing seat just after the bendy bit and 2 double foward facing seats before the 2nd/rear door, then 2 rows of 1 double seat next to the door, then 3 rows of 4 foward facing seats, then 3 seats sideways on each side which brings it to 6 just before the back of the bus, then 4 foward facing seats, then a bench of 5 seats at the rear of the bus and this could have been the fleet numbers 1363-1392 and 1591-1595 which the passenger capaicty would have been 125 passengers 70 seated and 55 standing
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Off The Rails wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:45 pm Imagine the owner of the site having a life and not having perthbus as their top pirority.
Yeah, I try to imagine it too! Please excuse my sarcasm as I appreciate your comment.
19 years of hard slog & not good enough for some - not to mention personal expense. The site currently costs $1200pa.

As for recent updates, and to all readers who are interested:

I received additional information on official dates, hence the plethora of updates. NHs currently listed as in service is as per that data from early October. If an NH is listed as withdrawn, that's as per the data. If any have been re-instated since, I'll amend its history if given proof eg a photo.

I am very lucky to be given this information from time-to-time and wish to acknowledge the help from PTA staff in that regard.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I'm surprised that nobody here has commented on the Gadgetbahn "tram"bus that City of Stirling has been trialling. I believe that they have had a couple of public days with rides around a car park. Anybody with any impressions or feedback? From the couple of videos I've seen, it sounds like a kitchen appliance running on high speed.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

None here, but a number of posters over on SkyscraperCity (in the WA subforum of that board[) shared their experiences at the weekend, which I would categorise as moderately positive, but not overwhelmingly so. One or two noted the bitumen in the car park had already developed some rutting, others still didn't feel the ride comfort held up to Peter Newman's high praise.

I'd certainly be interested to hear what feedback City of Stirling got from the event...
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:45 pm None here, but a number of posters over on SkyscraperCity (in the WA subforum of that board[) shared their experiences at the weekend, which I would categorise as moderately positive, but not overwhelmingly so. One or two noted the bitumen in the car park had already developed some rutting, others still didn't feel the ride comfort held up to Peter Newman's high praise.

I'd certainly be interested to hear what feedback City of Stirling got from the event...
Also here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUmNchsAnU

It seems "cheap" compared to the Hess double artic in Brisbane - which is basically what its type is. I can see those nails in the road coming loose over time and ending up in people's tyres - and the bus veering off when they're missing. Though that's what the steering wheel and driver are there to deal with. The road surface will rut with the bus following a constant path. That's been the overseas experience with guided buses. A tram offers much more capacity than a double artic, but if this bus is what you want, I'd recommended unguided. First choice: in-motion charging trolleybus. Second choice: Opportunity charging bus like the Brisbane one.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:08 pmI can see those nails in the road coming loose over time and ending up in people's tyres - and the bus veering off when they're missing. Though that's what the steering wheel and driver are there to deal with.
Wasn't the whole premise of this vehicle that it be fully autonomous? If you're going to have someone there overseeing it anyway, they might as well be operating the vehicle.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:18 pm Wasn't the whole premise of this vehicle that it be fully autonomous? If you're going to have someone there overseeing it anyway, they might as well be operating the vehicle.
I think you'd have to have dedicated lanes for that, otherwise there's too much risk. The fact that the vehicle is equipped with steering wheels suggests that they're not prepared to adopt full autonomy just yet.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Test trains have started on the Yanchep extension. Plans for bus services coming soon.
Joint media statement - First test train on track at Yanchep

The METRONET Yanchep Rail Extension has hit a major milestone with the first test train running on the new tracks today.

The project will see the Joondalup Line extended 14.5 kilometres north from Butler, and three new stations built in Alkimos, Eglinton and Yanchep.

The extended line will connect tens of thousands of people in the city's growing northern corridor to Perth's metropolitan rail network for the first time and help develop activity centres by stimulating new employment opportunities and residential and commercial land use.

The first test train marks the start of an extensive testing and commissioning program, which will ensure all infrastructure and systems are operating effectively and trains are running safely, efficiently and smoothly.

The 14.5 km extension has seen approximately 41,085 sleepers and 90,000 tonnes of ballast installed, while three new fauna bridges are the first to be built over rail in Western Australia.

When passenger services start in 2024, it will be a 49-minute journey from Yanchep to Perth, a 46-minute journey from Eglinton to Perth and a 41-minute journey from Alkimos to Perth.

In preparation of the opening in 2024, community consultation will be undertaken in the New Year to plan for the new and amended bus routes that will support the new stations.

The METRONET Yanchep Rail Extension is jointly funded by the Australian and Western Australian governments.
https://www.wa.gov.au/government/media- ... p-20231222
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

I foresee the possible death of 490 after getting truncated with each extension of the Joondalup line.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day service timetables have been released,* under the Journey Planner > Events section of the website.

Christmas and Boxing Day Services

Christmas - 25 December
  • Trains: Approximately every 30 minutes, from first city arrival around 7am.
  • Buses: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable. The Purple CAT will be running, however all other CATs will not be running.
  • Ferries: Every 30 minutes from Elizabeth Quay departure at 7.30am until Mends St departure at 9.45pm.
Boxing Day - 26 December
  • Trains: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable.
  • Buses: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable. Perth CATs running, Joondalup CATs not running.
  • Ferries: Every 30 minutes from Elizabeth Quay departure at 7.30am until 10.00am, then every 15 minutes until Mends St departure at 9.45pm.
New Year's Eve/Day Services

New Year's Eve - 31 December
  • Trains: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable with additional services. After midnight, every 15 minutes on all lines until approximately 2.45 am, before reducing in frequency.
  • Buses: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable with additional services before and after midnight on 907T, 908T, 930T, and 955T. Perth CATs will run to a Sunday timetable, with additional Red CATs. No Joondalup CATs.
  • Ferries: Every 15 minutes until 11.00 pm, then every 30 minutes until 1.00 am.
New Year's Day - 1 January
  • Trains: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable.
  • Buses: Running to a Sunday/Public Holiday timetable, including Perth CATs. No Joondalup CATs. A lot of additional early morning services on selected routes.
  • Ferries: Running to a Summer Sunday/Public Holiday timetable.
*The schedules were out many days prior, I just forgot to post them until now.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

With the A series now occasionally running north-south again, I thought I'd have a go at seeing how much difference the higher speed of the B series actually makes in reality:

Code: Select all

SECTION                           A-SERIES     B-SERIES     DIFFERENCE     TRACK SPEED
Clarkson-Currambine               3min         2min 45s     15s            130km/h B series, 110km/h A series
Currambine-Joondalup              3min 3s      3min 1s      2s             Limited by curves between 70 and 90km/h
Joondalup-Edgewater               2min 38s     2min 35s     3s             110km/h
(The rest of the line runs at 110km/h or less)

Cockburn-Murdoch                  4min 32s     3min 58s     34s            130km/h B series, 110km/h A series
Murdoch-Bull Creek                2min 13s     1min 59s     14s            Limited by station spacing
Bull Creek - Canning Bridge       3min 25s     3min 15s     10s            120km/h across Mt Henry Bridge, then 100km/h
Canning Bridge - Elizabeth Quay   5min 50s     5min 43s     7s             100km/h, slowing to 80 then 50 approaching EQ

All times are from when the train started moving to when the train stopped - i.e. dwell times excluded
In short, the difference is around a minute running Perth to Cockburn Central, and probably less than that Perth to Clarkson.

Now this isn't particularly scientific, taking only a single train of each type without controlling for driving style (though I made sure all runs were unaffected by signals or significant delays). It would appear though that in this case, either the B series was driven more aggressively or the A series was more relaxed on the Mandurah line run compared to the Joondalup line.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
HL7619
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz OC500LE Diesel

Post by HL7619 »

When will the Mercedes Benz O405NHs be retired from regional fleets
Numbers
1572-1585 (Bunbury)
1207, 1220, 1232-1233, 1356-1358, 1586-1590, 1771 (Busselton)
1205, 1206, 1208 (Carnarvon)

and will they be replaced with Volvo B7 Future Buses and Optimus body buses and if they are will the
Optimus Body Buses be 22xx, 23xx or 24xx
Future Buses be 16xx or 21xx
LawBayly

Post by LawBayly »

With people asking questions that likely can't be answered, I might as well tag my own one on:-

Anyone know what's up with TP3000?
I keep expecting it's rego to expire and it to hit the scrapyard but it appears to have avoided this thus far, but I'm fairly sure it hasn't been put into service, or has is it?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

It was unregistered for a substantial period, but reregistered last year, or the year before. No doubt it will stay until the typical gas bus retirement age of 17yrs, if not longer, even if sitting unused.

Throughout 2019 and 2020 the bus saw semi-regular use, including regular nightshifts, and even on rail replacement a few times - with very few drivers "understanding" the bus' quirks I expect it's quite difficult to allocate even if available for traffic, given so many drivers spit the dummy if their allocated vehicle has more than 500km on the odometer.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone has digitalised copies of timetables from the early era of electrification on the Transperth Trains network?

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”