Tragic Damage to a Rare Bus Model

The place to discuss models. Ie Model Buses, Model Railways etc.
Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 820 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
John P Boogerd

Tragic Damage to a Rare Bus Model

Post by John P Boogerd »

bus1.jpg
bus1.jpg (54.33 KiB) Viewed 25534 times
I purchased a Transit Graphics Code 3 Bondi Beach bus model a few months ago through Ebay. It was one of only 3 made by TG. I have bought over 100 bus models from Australia and never had a problem and I had previously bought bus models from the same seller that arrived in perfect condition. Imagine the heartbreak when I opened the box and found the model was literally shattered. I think it happened because it didn't have the plastic insert on top holding it in place. Then Australia Post wouldn't even consider a claim for damage. I'm not much of a model builder but I might try to rebuild it as best I can. Take a look at the pics of this terrible tragedy. I am heartbroken and $350 poorer.
Attachments
bus5.jpg
bus5.jpg (36.01 KiB) Viewed 25534 times
bus4.jpg
bus4.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 25534 times
bus3.jpg
bus3.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 25534 times
bus2.jpg
bus2.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 25534 times
nbus
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Re: Tragic Damage to a Rare Bus Model

Post by nbus »

I would ask Australia Post to pay for it or get the shop to take it up with them.
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Post by Ben_Daui »

Ouch, Have you approached Transit Graphics?
Surely another standard MKV model reskinned into the B&B Livery provided there are any around could be arranged but for AP not coming to the party for reimbursement/responsibility is poor customer service.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

How did you pay? If you used Paypal, you can ask for a refund through the seller as there maybe an insurance component.
John P Boogerd

Post by John P Boogerd »

Thanks guys - I could ask Transit Graphics to do a new one but it costs about $600 for a Code 3 model - I am now retired after a hip replacement and I don't think I could do that - I did send them the photos, though, so they can see what happened to one of the three models they made. I have bought most of my TG models from them directly and I hold TG in very high regard.

Paypal has no insurance component. I could ask for a chargeback but that wouldn't be fair to the fellow who sold me the model - he sent me a mint model and the packaging was exceptional - it's only that neither of us noticed the missing plastic insert that holds the model in place. He sent me several other rare Code 3 models that arrived perfectly.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

If the item wasn't packed properly, you could hardly blame Australia Post for the damage or expect compensation from them.

Was there postage insurance on it? Even so, they might deny paying on the above grounds.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
John P Boogerd

Post by John P Boogerd »

boronia wrote:If the item wasn't packed properly, you could hardly blame Australia Post for the damage or expect compensation from them.

Was there postage insurance on it? Even so, they might deny paying on the above grounds.
I agree. I didn't figure that out until only a week ago when I opened the display case to see if I could rebuild it. Too bad, though, that such a lovely model is now lost.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Insert swear word of your choice here ____ :!:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Hi John,

So sorry to hear and see of the damage to such an expensive and precious model. I must admit that I am puzzled at the scale of damage - even without the security screws in place, I would have thought the damage might have been limited to external mirrors and perhaps internal fittings, such as seats and bulkheads etc. becoming loose and moving around. The fact that the whole bus body was broken suggests a sort violent hit - ie. the scale and extent of damage seems totally out of proportion to simply a model banging around within its plastic container. So, I suppose the next question is - what condition was was the container in?
Sydney_Buses_CB60
Favourite Vehicle: STA Volvo B12BLE CB60 #1504(F)

Post by Sydney_Buses_CB60 »

I've recently had an issue regarding Australia Post with OZBus 20002 where they we're rough with it and the mirror was broken off so I told them that it had clearly been handled roughly so they asked me to bring it in for an inspection which I did and now they are refusing to give it back to me so I have been very peeved off with Australia Post lately. . .
The One & Only
Sydney_Buses_CB60
Favourite Vehicle: STA Volvo B12BLE CB60 #1504(F)

Post by Sydney_Buses_CB60 »

Appalling - Fragile Stickers are there for a reason. Sorry to see that yours has received far worse damage than mine did. One day those bastards will cop what they deserve...
The One & Only
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Sydney_Buses_CB60 wrote:I've recently had an issue regarding Australia Post with OZBus 20002 where they we're rough with it and the mirror was broken off so I told them that it had clearly been handled roughly so they asked me to bring it in for an inspection which I did and now they are refusing to give it back to me so I have been very peeved off with Australia Post lately. . .
They are refusing to hand back your property? Can you expand on this?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Just going back to the original topic of the post and adding to my earlier comments, the more I look at this damaged model and clean and straight "cut" makes me 100% certain that this was not damage caused in transit. In fact, looking back through the photos, the basic outer carton looks to be intact.

I am certain that neither Australia Post nor Transit Graphics can be blamed for this strangely severe damage. As I mentioned in the previous post, missing retaining screws could cause damage to mirrors and may be interior fittings, but that clear angled cut across the body is certainly not postal damage!!!!

Return to “Transport Models”