Frame Inspections VIC Roads - shell structural integrity

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
BusNut23

Frame Inspections VIC Roads - shell structural integrity

Post by BusNut23 »

Hi there,

I purchased a 1989 Mercedes Benz OH1418 Bus about two years ago to transport my "growing" family around in comfort rather than squashed in any sardine can.

Had conflicting answers whether need frame inspection (buses older than 25 years) over that time and bus became an expensive garden ornament. Was told before I bought bus frame inspections not required for private use by VIC Roads but any tester I went to said it was required.

Finally, thanks to heavy vehicles now controlled under the NHVR since February 2017, for heavy buses (over 4.5T GVM) mandatory frame inspections are NOT REQUIRED if bus used for private use. Also Roller Brake Test NOT REQUIRED. These two items are still required for commercial buses as part of their Bus Safety Act regulations.

Just wanted to post this up in-case anyone else currently getting conflicting answers if they want to use the bus as a "bus" until they convert into a motor-home or whatever.

And yes I do have it in writing from VIC Roads (hard to get at best of times). These same rules are probably national but unsure.

The Road Rules requirement document (VSI 26) on VIC Roads website is outdated and new version done Feb 2017 includes the statement in relation to the above:

The requirements outlined in this document are applicable to light vehicles under 4.5 tonne GVM. Road worthiness requirements for heavy vehicles can be found in the National Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual available from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website – http://www.nhvr.gov.au

Yes, there is still mention of frame assessment for buses in there but this is applicable to buses up to 4.5T GVM (which is modified coasters, commuters, sprinters and the like)

Cheers

PS If anyone needs information on this topic, just PM me and I'll give any information I have
VSI-26.jpg
VSI-26.jpg (169.85 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
Last edited by BusNut23 on Mon May 01, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
landseer1

Re: Frame Inspections VIC Roads

Post by landseer1 »

Hi
I'm in the exact same situation with my bus. I'd much appreciate if I could get in contact with you. I also cannot get anyone to do the roadworthy without the frame inspection ect....

Cheers Haydn
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Simple mate PM him
BusNut23

Post by BusNut23 »

NHVR Email
NHVR Email
NHVR.jpg (202.02 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
Just an update... :D

Have confirmation from NHVR that frame inspections are not required nationally and only for hire and reward buses (commercial) if states enforce it (most of them do I think) :)

This is an interesting point....NATIONALLY ANY BUS WHETHER PRIVATE OR COMMERCIAL IS NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE A FRAME INSPECTION AFTER 25 YEARS ONLY ENFORCED BY STATE REGULATOR :shock:

Yes, I am aware tester may request a structural report if there is evidence of advanced rust in the primary structure components or extensive rust in primary and secondary structure components as defined in the NHVR testing manual. Surface rust as defined in the manual is acceptable for both primary and secondary structure components as defined in the NHVR testing manual. I would expect such a decision to request a report to based on evidence and professionalism and not just because "we can" :|.

Places that still refused to do RWC for me even though I have it in writing from the national regulator they cannot request it before they even see the bus... :roll:

RSI Inspections - Port Melbourne; claims documents from VIC Roads are false :shock: and won't do bus without frame check.
Victoria Diesel Services - Campbellfield; claims he doesn't know if I am going to use it commercially and wants frame check done first, claims it is about family safety too :roll:

Both of them did it over a phone call and not in writing :lol:.

One place has said yes so will keep you posted :D.

Also, have reduced seats to 25. RSI incorrectly claimed this was a breach of inspection K1. Inspection K1 deals with addition or replacement of seats only. LK1 deals with seating capacity reduction but only applies to light vehicles and motor-homes :lol:

Cheers
Allan
Sanega

Re: Frame Inspections VIC Roads - shell structural integrity

Post by Sanega »

The author of this post in relation to bus frame inspections is not entirely correct on their information as stated. I cannot speak for other states but in Victoria it doesn't matter if the bus has been used on a commercial basis or private basis, VSI 26 is not the only correct document reference. The correct document to reference is actually the Bus safety act 2009 & Bus regulations 2020 currently. Vicroads has also updated one of their Licenced Vehicle Tester Bulletins June 2020 which clearly states that all HV Buses are to undergo a frame inspection.

Also, in VSI 26, June 2020 – Section I, Body and Chassis, Body Structure states, “Where a bus is more than 25 years old, proof of a current acceptable structural assessment must be provided and sighted by the tester.” Where section 4.4.1 of the Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule – Definitions and Vehicle Categories) 2005 (Cth) defines an omnibus as “A passenger vehicle having more than 9 seating positions, including that of the driver.”

The VSI only refers to buses subject to the Bus Safety Regulations 2010, now known as Bus Safety Regulations 2020 in Part 4: Additional inspection standards for Buses in VSI 26.

However, the Bus Safety Act 2009 section 19 states, “An accredited bus operator must ensure that each bus used to provide a bus service undergoes a safety inspection in accordance with the regulations—(a) annually; or (b) at prescribed intervals.” Furthermore regulation 36 of the Bus Safety Regulation 2020 states, “A specified exempt bus operator must ensure that each bus used to provide the bus service undergoes a safety inspection in accordance with section 19 of the Act as if that bus operator were an accredited bus operator.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”