Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Re: Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Post by TP1462 »

Mr OC Benz wrote:If it happens, I suspect it won’t occur until the bus interchange is completed as part of the Bayswater Station project.
The most likely and logical scenario I highly doubt we’ll see any further major changes for the north eastern and eastern corridors until the Ellenbrook line opens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wachris

Post by wachris »

So frustrating that more than a month since the airport line opening, the network maps on the website have not been updated. Have let TP know repeatedly
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

wachris wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:21 am So frustrating that more than a month since the airport line opening, the network maps on the website have not been updated. Have let TP know repeatedly
Have they gotten back to you on it at all?
wachris

Post by wachris »

I have emailed at two week intervals three times. The latest reply is that they are working on it but I have to understand they cannot take down the current maps whilst they work.on them. I find it incredulous that they couldn't plan the maps prior to opening.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

wachris wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:43 pm I find it incredulous that they couldn't plan the maps prior to opening.
Not terribly surprised; during the last two to three years I've noticed there have been fairly consistent issues with loose ends like this - service changes that appear just days before coming into effect (or are hastily thrown into a weeks-old announcement), announcements seemingly not proofed (missing information or mismatched information, that sort of thing).
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

wachris wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:43 pm I have emailed at two week intervals three times. The latest reply is that they are working on it but I have to understand they cannot take down the current maps whilst they work.on them. I find it incredulous that they couldn't plan the maps prior to opening.
In relation to this, a look at their Network Maps page shows that links to maps 3-6 have all been pulled from the website - these are the maps that cover areas where routes have changed as part of the Airport Line opening or since. Must've been recent, I checked a few days ago and links were still there. Changing the URL still works, although they still lead to the now-long-outdated maps.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
wachris

Post by wachris »

The Network Maps pages has now been taken down. Message says "These maps are currently being updated to include the new Airport Line" I guess three months late is better than no action at all
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Seems rather pointless as it’ll have to be changed again in a few months for Lakelands and possibly Yanchep however that’s quite the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

If you don't know the URL for the maps you can still find them.

Go to the stations page here: https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Using- ... tions-Maps

Select a station (eg Bayswater)

You will get a page like this

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Using- ... aps?sid=24

This has a link to the (old) pdf map.

This even works for new stations like Redcliffe

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Using- ... aps?sid=91
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
WEMBLEY 75

Post by WEMBLEY 75 »

The website link for bayswater station still brings up the old Network map #6
wachris

Post by wachris »

Keeping the pages up to date does not seem a priority to TP. Morley Bus Station does not show updates
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Does anyone know if the A series trains are able to use the Airport Line or is this the first section that they'll never serve?

I know the tunnels are signed for 130km/h but with the station distances involved I'd be surprised if they actually went that fast for very long unless running empty?
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

There's nothing stopping them running on the branch - but they operate at a max speed of 110 so would struggle to run to timetable.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

bullswool wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:34 pm There's nothing stopping them running on the branch - but they operate at a max speed of 110 so would struggle to run to timetable.
They did operate W patterns on the Mandurah/Joondalup lines for years, which have a lot more high speed running between stops. Although I'm not sure if the timetables accommodated their lower top speed (or if 20km/h in brief stints is really a huge journey time blowout).
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:
bullswool wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:34 pm There's nothing stopping them running on the branch - but they operate at a max speed of 110 so would struggle to run to timetable.
They did operate W patterns on the Mandurah/Joondalup lines for years, which have a lot more high speed running between stops. Although I'm not sure if the timetables accommodated their lower top speed (or if 20km/h in brief stints is really a huge journey time blowout).
The A series have been to Mandurah if there’s ever an operational or technical issue they’ll run through to High Wycombe however that’s very unlikely to ever occur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:41 pm
The A-Series used to run regularly on the K stopping pattern in the mornings from Rockingham to Perth. I rode it a few times from Wellard to the city and it always took a couple of minutes longer. The speed difference is quite apparent on those long stretches between stations on the Mandurah Line.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:41 pm
Originally (2004-2005) it was the other way round - the A series ran the full length of Clarkson to Armadale while the Bs were confined to Whitfords. Despite the transition to the B series in the following years, the 32 minute journey time from Clarkson to Perth has remained unchanged to this day off-peak and has been lengthened to 33 minutes in the peak direction (presumably to account for longer dwell times). Meanwhile the Whitfords shuttle has slowed from 17-18 minutes (with the A series in 2003) to 19-20 minutes, but now has an extra stop at Greenwood. Although, AFAIK the 110km/h limit still applies as far north as Currambine so it makes sense that there would be little change overall.

Butler also saw the A series a few times a day in the first year or so (from memory the 05:30 ex-Perth was one of them), and likewise there's been no change to off-peak travel times since the Bs exclusively took over, while peak direction trips are again one minute slower.

As for Mandurah here's the timetable from March 2009 (before the second-gen B series order entered service):
Mandurah Line T 1Mar2009.JPG
Mandurah Line T 1Mar2009.JPG (67.42 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Mandurah Line F 1Mar2009.JPG
Mandurah Line F 1Mar2009.JPG (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
The K pattern had a minute slack inserted between Kwinana and Cockburn Central, while the outbound express leg ran a minute slower than the all-stops equivalent so I think it's clear that the timetable was built with the As in mind back them. Also the 05:30 from Perth and the 06:34 from Mandurah took an extra three minutes so presumably were also run by an A series - the original 2007 timetable had both at the normal 50 minutes but this was adjusted pretty quickly on the inbound trip. Meanwhile the W pattern was sped up from 19 minutes to 18 minutes off-peak in early 2016, although the A series seemed to have no trouble fitting in with the new timetable until there were enough B series trains to fully take over.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”