Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Post by Merc1107 »

Am sure they'll try and paint it as "not really a Metronet project, so it's really Barnett's fault."
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

TP1462 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:43 pm
hack404 wrote:The project website has been subtly changed in the last two weeks.

5 May version

18 May version
I just wish they would be honest and upfront about the opening date and as to what these delays are the lack of transparency is quite bothersome. Saffioti was very confident in the line opening by the end of June I think it’s pretty obvious now that the line will open at some point after the big September/October shutdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As painful as it is to wait a further few months, waiting until after the shutdown would make more sense. It seems silly to open a new line only for it to then have a lengthy shutdown weeks later.
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

After many years of taxi and bus trips from Perth airport, I am looking forward to my next visit (family catchup in October) and being able to train it to the city. (If it's not open by then, well, so be it)

Have been living in Sydney for about 15 years now, a few years before that in Melbourne, pretty airport transfers were spent on the SkyBus service or taxi's (if time wasn't on my side) which I think has always been OK for what it is.

Once I even got the bus/tram option, just because I had some spare time...

I suppose that I've just gotten used to having the 3 options available in Sydney: train/bus/taxi, and it's good to see both Perth and Melbourne investing in rail to make it somewhat similar?
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

I just wish they would be honest and upfront about the opening date and as to what these delays are the lack of transparency is quite bothersome. Saffioti was very confident in the line opening by the end of June I think it’s pretty obvious now that the line will open at some point after the big September/October shutdown

I recall the Mandurah line originally being targeted for a July 2007 commencement only to be put back to Christmas Eve that year. Maybe same thing here...
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

busdriver12 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:26 pm I recall the Mandurah line originally being targeted for a July 2007 commencement only to be put back to Christmas Eve that year. Maybe same thing here...
Sunday 23rd December 2007 is ingrained in my memory - Carols by Candlelight was on that evening.

Something of a memorable day for me. The family and I went to town, then returned to Perth Esplanade, only to find the trains had already stopped running (around 1800hrs or so, from memory). We were directed to what was then THE Busport (one cannot help but feel like Mrs. Bucket in saying that!) to catch a freeway bus home; it (an NH, a 15xx of some sort presumably) blew a tire at Canning Bridge and was changed off with another NH of some sort. Something of a misadventure, and perhaps playing a part of why I am here typing this tonight.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

15xx NHs used to be pleniful in CV area back in those days.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

A test train with 4cars is reportedly due out for testing on Monday unsure of the times

Traklink

Post by Traklink »

From the FAL web site:
Train movements may be seen near the Bayswater dive structure as a test train begins running on the line. The movement of the train into the dive structure and the test train period may involve some noise, including use of the train's horn. More information is listed in the table below.

Monday May 30
Between 12am and 4am Test train moved into Bayswater dive structure
Monday May 30 to Saturday June 4
5am to 9pm Trial running from Bayswater Junction to High Wycombe Station
Saturday June 4
Between 3am and 5am Test train to exit Airport Line and be replaced with new test train
Sunday June 5 to Friday June 10
6am to 3pm Trial running from Bayswater Junction to High Wycombe Station
https://forrestfieldairportlink.wa.gov. ... r-junction
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
the c man

Post by the c man »

Thursday saw best 091 displaying H'wycombe on the desto during the driver training at high Wycombe station.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Mount Lawley, West Leederville, Daglish, Shenton Park, Karrakata, Loch street & Showgrounds all have PIDs installed now however not activated this just leaves Meltham, Maylands & City West

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Trains will commence operation by the end of July

kaplan_thornhill

Post by kaplan_thornhill »

TP1462 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 pm Trains will commence operation by the end of July

Negative- our rosters are posted until the end of July. Training for drivers begins week commencing 11/07. It won't be seeing business by the end of July.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

kaplan_thornhill wrote:
TP1462 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 pm Trains will commence operation by the end of July

Negative- our rosters are posted until the end of July. Training for drivers begins week commencing 11/07. It won't be seeing business by the end of July.
That’s just what’s been reported by the Auditor general Image

kaplan_thornhill

Post by kaplan_thornhill »

'expected' doesn't mean it's set in stone. I'm not sure how the infrastructure side of things is progressing but operationally you need crew that have signed off on the road and that training isn't commencing until the second week of July. Happy to eat my words but don't see it happening.

KT
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Staff need training, and extra staff need to be provided, which is also true of the bus side with however many buses were acquired.

The labour market is very tight right now, and the mining sector is supposedly accentuating the issue. Add COVID absences, flu season, I can't see this starting so soon when so many in the industry are barely coping with current business levels.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

kaplan_thornhill wrote:'expected' doesn't mean it's set in stone. I'm not sure how the infrastructure side of things is progressing but operationally you need crew that have signed off on the road and that training isn't commencing until the second week of July. Happy to eat my words but don't see it happening.

KT
I agree I think there’s some minor works to done like smooth out and tamper the tracks the report is only a few days old so it’s definitely odd that’s for sure

Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Your chance to the the first patrons on the Airport Line as the PTA has planned 3 emergency exercises this month. Entries end on the 10th July.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/airport ... TEGp7Zgcg8
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Zidanehartono wrote:Your chance to the the first patrons on the Airport Line as the PTA has planned 3 emergency exercises this month. Entries end on the 10th July.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/airport ... TEGp7Zgcg8
Yeah I’m doing the Wednesday and the Saturday

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Not sure if the W pattern will be official once operational however it’s interesting that the PIDs display the full length journey unlike the NSR/SSR and ESR/WSR which currently don’t

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

The midland line shutdown has been postponed until early next year supply chains sighted the announcement does however lack detail and is quite vague. A date for the opening of the Airport Line has still not been provided the shutdown is most likely going to split into two parts with two smaller shutdowns one in January and the other in April it would be odd to keep the Airport line shut until after April another thing they didn’t mention is what affect it’ll have on the Armadale line shutdown schedule with a potential double or triple blockade with the Mandurah line the delay would also obviously have an impact on the opening of the Ellenbrook line
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Sets 069, 113 and a few others are doing line testing this morning saw 113 at High Wycombe station drove past all fenced off so can’t really get good photos seems to be every 15 minutes

moa999

Post by moa999 »

Any details on proposed shuttle/bus services between Redcliffe and Qantas/ Jetstar terminals (T3/T4) ?

Assuming it will be covered by a Zone 1/2 ticket for travel to/from CBD.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

No details yet other than signage being installed suggesting there will be a terminal shuttle but you'd think a prerequisite is that there will be seamless integration with the train.

I wonder if it will even be Transperth operated given that there was no mention of the shuttle in the consultation phase (I guess it's assumed to be a given requirement though), it is "temporary" (although that could still mean operating for several years yet depending on when Qantas group does finally move over to Airport Central) and would operate almost entirely on Perth Airport land.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Suspect it will be closer to a decade unless Perth Airport can see a quick return on the T3/4 property.

All airport finances have been smashed by Covid so think they'd wait til things return to normal, then add approval and construction timelines.

Plus the difficulty of getting Qantas and Perth Airports to agree to anything.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

moa999 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:11 pm Assuming it will be covered by a Zone 1/2 ticket for travel to/from CBD.
2-zone ticket. I'm not fully-versed on the intricacies of, say, the paper-ticketing system in Queensland (which would describe such a journey like that, if I'm right), but this 2-zone allows travel to the next zone over from the original purchase zone (i.e. you could go to Z1, back to Z2, then transfer to a service going into Z3), for two hours, with unrestricted transfers.

When Oats Street was upgraded there was mention of a frequent shuttle between Oats Street and the Airport. Nothing appeared on the network maps for that one either.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”