Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 pm Interesting in that there is no mention of the proposed Oats Street to Airport service that has been hinted at.

Otherwise they're fairly straightforward changes, nice to see the Eastern suburbs get some fairly significant lifts to their local services.
Interestingly, the My Say Transport website made mention, under the Rivervale section, of a "New route 37 to Oats Street," but no further mention is made of it, nor does the route appear on the maps.

For reference, the proposed network Eastern Map and Western Map are clickable via the links.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Having only perused the maps, thanks for mentioning there is at least (vague!) reference to an Oats Street route. Perhaps it's omission was an oversight, or perhaps an eleventh-hour change of plan.

Thanks for linking those maps here, as well.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

good to see area around forrestfield/kalamunda getting a better weekend service. also i was thinking will all the midland route (290, 291, 277, 278) just operated as swan or it just 291 is operated by SWan.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Will just add that if the 307 is to be extended to Kalamunda, it'd be nice if they included that on the map (along with some of the unchanged, overlapping services - which is what Bus Suggestions mentioned upthread, too).

Really the only complaint I have about the services, is that perhaps instead of the particularly dismal 282/283 weekend service, why not amend the 281 to run between High Wycombe and Kalamunda on the weekends, at a higher frequency than the proposed bihourly (or not at all...) level?
I recognise that is perhaps a step backwards, in terms of having a service running on weekends, and not weekdays. However, I think it might cater better for the sorts of more localised trips made on weekends versus something particularly focussed on a City train connection at Oats Street.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Any chances BH might be responsible for 280? Or 277/278/290/291 being run from MV? The new 940 is similar to my idea of 945 (Busport to HW via Redcliffe), effectively functioning as the Route 930 of GEH. Didn't expect 38 getting diverted from EQBS though. Also, it looks like the luggage buses might become redundant.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Interesting that 39 is a flat 30 min service off-peak while 38 is only hourly on Sunday despite being 15 min on weekdays.
Would have been nice if it was every 30 min on Sunday, similar to Saturday.

Controversial as people would lose their one seat to the city, but should 38 run via Berwick & George St to South Perth, creating an east-west route through the area linking up with The Park Centre & Belmont Forum and the train? This would need some changes in the South Perth area to avoid duplication, although 38 could still potentially end up in the CBD. But it would mean that you could go pretty much anywhere from East Vic Park, unlike now where a local trip to South Perth isn't great.

The eastern terminus of the 38 appears weak. Is that a future airport extension, saved for if additional resources become available?

Getting from the Airport to East Vic Park, Curtin and the Armadale line is indirect and/or appears to require three buses. The abovementioned Oats St route would help a lot, with trips from most of the SE suburbs requiring just one change.

The devil in this is in the detail. There's a lot of paired routes that you'd hope are evenly offset so that 60 min frequencies become 30 min on the combined sections etc. I do like the 275 as the main train feeder commuter route for Kalamunda etc with a good peak frequency. Ideally its departure times from High Wycombe are the same as 277 but offset by 15 min from 276 to form some 15 min corridors.

If you were going to Midland from Redcliffe you'd possibly get 2 trains via Bayswater rather than the bus. Hence 290 & 291 might be more local access routes that won't carry high loadings. But there might be better connectivity if these were extended/amalgamated with other routes north or east of Midland. Apart from connecting to the train Redcliffe is not necessarily a strong terminus in itself but it might strengthen with more intensive land use.

This is a tough area to plan buses for, with terrible road layouts and unavoidable indirectness. Catchment demographics are very good around Belmont but not so good around the likes of Forrestfield. Some routes (eg 270 & 290?) might not be very productive and I'd imagine there might be some frequency adjustments later.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

With the opening of the Airport/Claremont line soon, there will be revamped bus route numbers and revamped bus route directions. Once the airport line is open, they will get a new colour for the trains and for bus routes in the area. Routes 38-39, 270-271, 275-78, 280, 282-83, 290-91, 293, 935, 940 will definitely fall under the airport line category.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Which has been discussed in the previous 14 posts...

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Shoudy Chen wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:18 am With the opening of the Airport/Claremont line soon, there will be revamped bus route numbers and revamped bus route directions. Once the airport line is open, they will get a new colour for the trains and for bus routes in the area. Routes 38-39, 270-271, 275-78, 280, 282-83, 290-91, 293, 935, 940 will definitely fall under the airport line category.
Seems likely they will still put into the Eastern bus timetable section anyway (Timetable number 86-115, and high frequency timetable number 214), and also the colours on the bus timetable had removed since 2016.
subtekjr

Post by subtekjr »

PaxInfo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:05 pm The eastern terminus of the 38 appears weak. Is that a future airport extension, saved for if additional resources become available?

Getting from the Airport to East Vic Park, Curtin and the Armadale line is indirect and/or appears to require three buses. The abovementioned Oats St route would help a lot, with trips from most of the SE suburbs requiring just one change.
38 is unchanged aside from shifting from terminus at EQBS to BP, so it's likely they just didn't feel the route beyond the city needed changing.

Curtin would probably be 34/72 to Cannington, 280 to High Wycombe (which is running 294's route to Carousel from Hale Rd at Tonkin onwards), train to Airport. If they bring in an Oats-Airport bus, 999 to Oats, bus to Airport. You could also 999 to somewhere along Oats St, take 39 to Redcliffe and train into Airport from there.

East Vic Park would be either of the latter two methods of course.

Armadale Line would just depend on where. Again, from Cannington it's one bus plus a train, so depending on where you are along that line, you'd either get off at Oats and take one of the East Vic Park methods, or get off at Cannington, 280, train. Freo or Midland line would be easy of course, Joondalup line would be fine (get off at Perth and Airport Line in), but Mandurah you'd have to make a judgement call on whether to take Cockburn-Thornlie Line to get yourself into Cannington/Oats, or train into the city and Airport Line.

Going to be interesting either way.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

TCL won't be ready for another year after FAL opens.

Anyway, 280 is an upgrade from 294 as the latter doesn't run Sundays.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

The future route 38 on weekends will substitute the 288 on weekends, also the portion of route 380/288 will be substituted with route 38 and 270.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

The latest update suggests that testing will commence in February/March following a shutdown of the Airport/Midland line (Bayswater Group)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

I wonder what the opening date is, and how close to the border opening date that will be (I can't think for a moment this is anything more than a strange coincidence)?
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:I wonder what the opening date is, and how close to the border opening date that will be (I can't think for a moment this is anything more than a strange coincidence)?
If I remember correctly driver training, route orientation and handover for Mandurah & Butler took about 2-3 months so probably May or June or possibly July at the very latest

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

The tie in and energisation of the tunnels and entry/exits was deemed a success and is now complete following this test trains will commence in approximately 2 weeks time

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Nearly complete showing the 130kp/h speed

Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

According to the Transport Minister in an interview on a Flashpoint segment (CH7), Forrestfield-Airport Link (Airport Line) is expected to become operational by at least 30th June.

Source:https://fb.watch/c8YU8tnwoI/
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Zidanehartono wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 pm According to the Transport Minister in an interview on a Flashpoint segment (CH7), Forrestfield-Airport Link (Airport Line) is expected to become operational by at least 30th June.

Well, if she's actually telling the truth, that would be awesome. I wish, however, that they'd defer the amendment of 282 and 283 until all work on the new Oats Street station is done.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:
Zidanehartono wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:01 pm According to the Transport Minister in an interview on a Flashpoint segment (CH7), Forrestfield-Airport Link (Airport Line) is expected to become operational by at least 30th June.

Well, if she's actually telling the truth, that would be awesome. I wish, however, that they'd defer the amendment of 282 and 283 until all work on the new Oats Street station is done.
Eergh most likely because Welshpool road will obviously be required to close from later this year early next for the level crossing removal so the 282/283 will have to form a substantial deviation into the city also there’s no right hand turn lane onto Rutland Avenue from Welshpool road so city buses would still be required to run the deviation anyway at least until all the construction is complete
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Opening is once again delayed as reported by ABC news the commissioning process is underway each process has to be ticked off then driving training can get underway which will take about 6-8 weeks so which would put the opening to after the big shutdown

Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:29 pm Opening is once again delayed as reported by ABC news the commissioning process is underway each process has to be ticked off then driving training can get underway which will take about 6-8 weeks so which would put the opening to after the big shutdown

So I guess we're looking at August.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:
TP1462 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:29 pm Opening is once again delayed as reported by ABC news the commissioning process is underway each process has to be ticked off then driving training can get underway which will take about 6-8 weeks so which would put the opening to after the big shutdown

So I guess we're looking at August.
No official date and the government is being quite secretive and vague about it it at this stage it would most likely be after the big shutdown now

hack404

Post by hack404 »

The project website has been subtly changed in the last two weeks.

5 May version
First trains will operate on the new Airport Line in the first half of 2022.
18 May version
First trains will be operating on the new Airport Line in 2022.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

hack404 wrote:The project website has been subtly changed in the last two weeks.

5 May version
First trains will operate on the new Airport Line in the first half of 2022.
18 May version
First trains will be operating on the new Airport Line in 2022.
I just wish they would be honest and upfront about the opening date and as to what these delays are the lack of transparency is quite bothersome. Saffioti was very confident in the line opening by the end of June I think it’s pretty obvious now that the line will open at some point after the big September/October shutdown

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”